Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did a little open air and under a tarp camping when I was much younger. Our active RVing started started while I was still on active duty in the Air Force primarily to act as a weekend getaway and a way to make travel while on leave a little more comfortable and later on as a way to keep our relatively newly acquired fur ball kids with us when we did go places. Hoping to try out FT later this fall.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
The only valid reason for me was my wife told me to !
Old 08-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
A very good friend on mine passed away a little over a year ago. He was 62. Our original plan was to wait until I retired and look at getting a MH, but after John passed, we decided to just get one now. We got in in December of 17, and we love it. I am still working - have around 5 or 6 before I can hang it up, but we get out for weekend trips every chance we get.
Stormmuzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #74

We had a motorhome when our kids were small and kept it till they left the nest. We rode dirt bikes back then. Switched to trailers of one kind or another, with toy haulers as the last two and we switched to ATVs. Had been curious about the Outlaw toy hauler motorhome since they started making them in 2007. Decided to look online for a used one in 2016 and learned that used ones were not that plentiful. Found a 2007 1/2 at a dealership a little over 200 miles away and they were willing to take our trailer and tow vehicle both on trade. I quickly towed the trailer to the dealer and made the trade. We love the convenience of traveling in a motorhome again. We either haul the ATVs inside or tow our Jeep behind and have spent over 100 nights in the motorhome so far this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3453 (800x450).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	216520  
Old 08-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #75

RV is my escape.

Bought RV to escape my inability to say no. I like helping people. I like keeping busy. But being too busy was negatively affecting my health. Doc said I should get away. The RV was the means for doing that. I bought a used class A so that if we hated it we wouldn't be out thousands. Well, we love it. We're gone 3-4 months a year seeing sites and visiting family and friends. Yes, I have to fix things from time to time but I'm retired so no pressure and I'm learning new and different skills. I just drop in on a different relative and stay awhile till the part arrives. Then I fix it and move on. This is our second year and it's been great.
ejpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
I had camped when my kids were young in Popups and then a TT 21 foot. They got older and didn't want to camp anymore, then got divorced later on. Waited a few years and met someone who had never camped, from Russia, and she had a daughter. I was 50, she 37, and daughter was 8. Now 11 years later we have been doing some local camping in New England. Just stayed at the Lake George RV Park, very nice place, but expensive. I like it because I can get away from the computer and cell phone, mostly, and show my new family things they never have seen before. At some point we will head down south to camp, just hard to find time with all three of us working.
mazda2924x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:04 PM   #77

We started with a trailer, then 2 different 5th Wheels before the Motorhome. We were going to travel the USA. A Motorhome makes more sense. You can stop just about anywhere and have good access to everything, including refrigerator, kitchen, etc. You don't have that in most newer 5th Wheels. Also, it is safer. If you stop at a Walmart, vacant lot, or other such place you just move from the front to the back. No going outside in a an unsavory area or bad weather is much nicer.
pjc97009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #78

Bless you. Hope you will have a speedy recovery and many trips ahead.
We are fairly new at this and purchased a 34’ pusher and have taken a few trips. Mostly to my sons motorcycle race events.
Have had our share of issues with the Expedition though. Again, hope all goes well with your procedure. God bless
Roadhogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #79

Ford Super Duty Owner
Raising grandsons, too many stop! No more.
Easy to move about when at Walmart.
TX Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Why I bought an rv

I was in Boy Scouts as a teenager and of course went camping. My folks bought a van and we camped in that for a while. Since then, I've had a conversion van, 2 travel trailers and a class C. I'm now single and work as a contract engineer and staying in motels and apartments, I decided that I would full-time it. I was looking at Barth pushers for a while which cost 20,000+ and my girlfriend found me a 1992 Winnebago pusher with a asking price of 10,000 which I was able to get for 5,500. It needed tires and some other odds and ends but I really enjoy it. And the people I meet at the parks are great. I couldn't see myself living in an apartment again!

Mark H.
Currently, Greenville, SC.
1992 Winnebago Adventurer 34' 5.9 Cummins
2000 Jeep Cherokee
mrh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We love to travel but had 3 Great Danes. We bought a 2006 Travel Supreme Select in 2009 & put 80,000 miles on it. In Jan 2017, we bought our 2014 Newmar Essex. We are now full time and seeing the USA with our dogs & loving every mile.
GreatDane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #82

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Because we got old! We had a diesel F250 4x4 and a fifth wheel. After his heart attack and two angioplasties DH was sometimes having trouble getting it hitched/unhitched. Working over his head is uncomfortable. I have had 2 complete knee replacements and stairs are my kryptonite. Our little moho is perfect for us and our boxer. Small in size and low. Just 3 steps. The opposing slides in the living room open it up nicely and the bedroom slide gives us a walk around queen bed. We have spent two months in it comfortably.
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #83

We want to see parts of the US and did not want to fly and rent cars. An RV just made sense.
jrcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Wanted to explore the US, after we were both retired, trying to make an informed decision we first borrowed a TT, and decided that wouldn't do it. Then fell into a deal we couldn't refuse on a VERY senior 1/5 whl, and learned allot including I can't back one up. Boats, horses, utilities, no problem. So got a gas MH. I could put it anywhere and believe in charging the loaf. And if anything happened to DH while we are on the road, I needed to be able to do everything myself.
We rehabed it and planned to sell the s/b and live in it as we traveled, for 2 years then decide what we wanted. A solid plan, right? Saw this Winnebago Journey DP 42E with the perfect layout and we traded up. That was before we even cold the house! So much for plans! It's been 3+ years, fulll time and it's been a dream come true. Over 30k, with wintering in Florida. And I can put it ANYWHERE! No regrets and it's not for sale!😃
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote