Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Why did you buy a motor home?

Just a friendly thread to see why you bought a motor home. Ours is simple. After many cruises, trips to Mexico, etc, we wanted to see this great country of ours. I have health issues (19 surgeries since 2004). We wanted to go see the great USA while still able. We actually found a copy of our bucket list from about 5 years ago and have been able to cross off about a third of our US items. Enjoying the beauty and the drives! Unfortunately we will have to take a break this winter for another surgery and 4 month recovery. We're trying to get 1 more adventure in before I go under the knife again. So what's your story?
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Just a friendly thread to see why you bought a motor home. Ours is simple. After many cruises, trips to Mexico, etc, we wanted to see this great country of ours. I have health issues (19 surgeries since 2004). We wanted to go see the great USA while still able. We actually found a copy of our bucket list from about 5 years ago and have been able to cross off about a third of our US items. Enjoying the beauty and the drives! Unfortunately we will have to take a break this winter for another surgery and 4 month recovery. We're trying to get 1 more adventure in before I go under the knife again. So what's your story?
Umm...it seemed like a good idea at the time?
I had a pickup camper and loved traveling in it but there was no place to sit comfortably. We started looking for a coach that would be as drivable as the camper but comfortable for two if it rained three days straight.
We looked and learned about A's and C's, manufacturers and dealers for six months before we found our perfect coach. 16,000 miles later we have zero regrets.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #3

I ask myself that every time I have to put it in the shop or have too longer periods of time that I don't get to use it. I'm not sorry I did though, would not have got to meet a lot of friends we have met along the way and no matter where we are, we are home. You just don't get that feeling at a motel or hotel.
ghost1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #4

My wife's mother passed away from cancer after being only retired 3-4 years and battling cancer 2 of them. She always liked to travel and my family and I took a trip with a borrowed camper about 3 years ago and it was relaxing. After my MIL's passing we started talking about buying a camper which turned into looking at Class C's and we ended on a DP because we could not find a C that seemed to meet our expectations. We have put 11,000 miles on it and it has made me pull my hair out at times and when everything runs great I love it. My wife and I talk about trying to full time after retirement in a newer coach. We really enjoy getting away even for weekends with the kids. When we travel once we get to our location the kids seem to forget about electronic devices which is great.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a jeep to go offroading. Found when going out with a group for a weekend we would be in a hotel 20 mikes away from most of the group whi were camping together. We were missing out on the comradera off the trail. So bought a small motorhome to tow the jeep and camp with the groups. Then found we like RV'ing unto itself as well
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Portable Studio Apartment..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #7

We both retired. I had owned my own business so never got to travel much just quick little trips mainly to Vegas for a few days. I think we only had a single trip over a week in about the last 10 years.

Anyhow we had no idea where we wanted to retire so a motorhome would let us explore. NOW I have to put in wife had wanted a camper for some time and I had been against it remembering it from childhood. She got me to an RV show and I saw modern RV's were not my parents RV. From that point it was a matter of walking up price until we found something meeting all I wanted as far as features and build, including carrying capacity. (Also local factory service.)

We have something like 16k on it in last 2 years and winter in FL with it. While expensive and not perfect it has been a decent choice thus far.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #8

We hate hotels, love to travel. We live in N.Y. And take our motor home to Florida for 3 1/2 months each winter.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #9

Grew up camping. Wife & I planned to get a motorhome after we retire & see the country. She had a cancer diagnosis when we were in our 30's & we said screw retirement let's get one now.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had a 36 ft 5th wheel and while it was great for living in while I worked away from home it was not good for having company in. Living room was separate from kitchen.
Wife talked about doing some travelling and my TV with the 5r left me 210 lbs on the rear axle. Front axle was good. Trailer was full, water, supplies etc.

We then set out on a mission to find a better alternative as we still work away from home but have stretches of time off.

Found our present MH on kijii and after looking at three different ones in the same day bought this one as it was the one my wife liked. PO had put in laminate flooring in main part. Motor was almost new. And it was only 2/3rds of our budget so money to make it right left over.

We only average about 6,000 miles a year, just over 10k kilometres. We have greatly enjoyed it and it was a lot less then a new TV for the 5r.

Now looking at perhaps upgrading to a newer one. Still not sure of DP or gas as both have plusís and minusís. Or remodel what we have with a complete new kitchen with single sink, double burner stove top, dishwasher and convection microwave. Like most decisions it will happen when the time is right.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #11

I had a major accident and had to retire. Lived in So Cal for over 40 years and wanted to move but didn't know where to move to. Rented out my house to cover the mortgage and hit the road looking for a place to move to. I have been full time now for over 5 years. Have found many nice places to move to but am enjoying fulltiming too much to stop.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #12

We bought our first MoHo 2 years after we were married. We had both traveled extensively for jobs staying in hotels and motels which we hated. We both still liked to travel and thought a travel trailer would work for us. About 6 months later we were looking at Class A's. My dad had both Class C's and Class A's when I was growing up and I really liked the Class A's much better. The DW and I like the convenience and flexibility a motorhome provides when we travel. The perceived and actual benefits to us out weight the downsides. While break downs and problems can be frustrating, to us it's just part of the overall experience. We bought our current motorhome 15 years ago. Still love it.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Love the outdoors, and more family time together.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #14

Used to tent camp. Decided that sleeping on the ground was getting old. Considering that we were getting old that made sense. Decided that we were not that fond of motels or restaurants so an RV made sense. Neither of us wanted to drive a big P/U for our every day driver so the MH made the most sense. Shocked to find out how much easier it was to set up and take down camp with the MH. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote