Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #29

We love our Class A but there have been times when we haven't been able to use it, like when I had back to back shoulder surgeries where we didn't get to use it for the better part of a year, and times when babysitting our Grandkids or just life in general got in the way of using it as often as we would like. There have been times when it has sat for 2-3 months which probably is not great for the engine/transmission/drive train. If I know we won't be using it for a while I will just drive it around for a couple hours and put fresh gas in it and exercise it so to speak. So sometimes I have thought that a Truck and 5th wheel may be a better option as it really doesn't hurt the 5th Wheel to sit, and you can still use the truck to drive daily, keeping the gas and drive train fresh. Even with that we aren't considering getting rid of the Class A. But this may be a reason some move back to a 5th Wheel or TT.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #30

Maybe this is what you are referring to: That big windshield can be intimidating.

On top of that, it feels like you are right on the edge of the road when you sit up that high.

When we first got the MH, my wife jumped out of the seat a couple of times thinking I was about to hit a pole.

She got used to it and did not jump ship on me, thankfully. We are going on our fifth year next year.

I have taken my nephew and Brother In Law on a couple of away football games for our favorite team (Let's Go Mountaineers).

Both of them had a similar reaction to the passenger seat.

I have only been in the passenger seat on the interstate and have not had that severe of a reaction but can see why it could be a problem on narrow roads.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #31

On getting INTO a class a, our reason was that I really like the atmosphere inside a class A when you're traveling with family. It's just so relaxed. This is probably the biggest reason we didn't just buy a 5er when I had the 4 door dually. It also seems like you can really put the miles down in a class A and maintain a happy crew.

Looking back, keeping the dually would have probably been better for us financially... but I don't think I would trade the trips with other family members that we've had in the motorhome... Trips that we otherwise could not have done with those people.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #32

Judging by what I witnessed as a service manager for 20 years, getting out of it generally had to do with the coach's maintenance requirements.

They were no longer able to stay up with the care and feeding (due to age/disabilities).

They got tired of the near constant care and feeding requirements - especially if they were paying for every little thing to be done for them.

They would rarely admit it, but it was apparent to me they could no longer afford the care and feeding (my take, admitted).

Last, and nothing to do with maintenance, they finally bought that last home where they planned on spending the rest of their days, and no longer had the need for a coach.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #33
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I went from a TT to the class a gasser of my dreams. I had a real full bath and an isle with three windows next to the bath area. You know what I mean. Just loved that bathroom.

Moving past that. The size did not bother me. It was 36’.

When I spent lots of money on making it semi-truck stable on the road. That did not bother me. But it did open my eyes and pocketbook a bunch.

What turned me away from a class A was this. I know it may sound silly. But there was only one way to get out of it! With time that got to me. If I had a driver’s door I may still have that rig. I have to add I travel alone.

After I decided to make the change. I really like being able to drive south with no sun heat or light coming into the cab from the cab over blocking all that on my Class C. There are three doors. I wish I still had the tank capacities of the class A. But that is a compromise I live with. Someday I will find a class C with the bathroom I want. I know they are out there. But for now my unit costs less to maintain and gets me out there traveling.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #34

I've run the full spectrum now I think.

I started out travelling with just a p/u and utility trailer to haul aircraft around. Motels got old. Got a slide in. Better, but needed the space in the box back. Then 'borrowed' dear ole Dad's A to pull the trailer around. Lots of space to live in, but too big to drive anywhere but the Interstate.

Then found a short C that worked pretty well for nearly everything AND the DW was very happy to drive since it's pretty car-like and she's driven a bunch of cube vans over the years and she's very comfortable doing so when I'm flying ahead and she's driving the m/h to meet me.

Now, the DW wants to use the m/h while I still it for 'work' at the same.

So, we bought an A for one to use while the other has the C.

Happy wife, happy life.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #35

Some have mentioned that people have gotten out of the Class A motorhome because of constant problems and maintenance money with the coach. I'm sure that's true of some but how many? There's no way of knowing but my bet would be it's not a big number.

I've seen some detailed breakdowns of maintaining a motorhome and none of them I'd call outrageous! But I'd agree if you can't use a screwdriver and wrench or the money to hire someone who can. A motorhome, boat or plane may be a bad idea. But that can also be true for stuff around the house as well.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #36

We got a class A gasser entry level to start with....my best friend had bought a beautiful 36ft WBGO Journey and we planned to meet them and tour a bit together...

We missed out on meeting them for several trips as my class A was in the shop more than I used it that first year and a half. During that time, my friend's class A developed the dreaded slide failure and was in the shop for 6 months.

We traded our class A for a better quality Tiffin, but my friend had already decided to get out of his class A and get a small class C Vista. His reasons:

1. The bus caused him too much anxiety in traffic - he travels from PA to AZ every fall and back every spring (he bought a condo in AZ so he had 2 apartments, so only needed the rig to go back and forth each year).
2. He was leery of the big slides after his failed.
3. He messed up the rear quarter backing into his storage space in the lot
4. His wife packs every empty space with "stuff" and can't help herself, it seems, so he figured a smaller space would help with not having to haul so much stuff from one end of the country to the other and back every year.
5. Not having the ability to just pull into a gas station without scoping it out to make sure he could maneuver in and out easily.

...but mostly traffic, backing and maneuvering = anxiety.

I have some of those anxieties, but really, REALLY love the space when we setup camp and relax for cocktail hour....and the dogs.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #37

I've heard (without appearing to be a chauvinist) that many women are far more comfortable driving a much smaller vehicle.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
I've heard (without appearing to be a chauvinist) that many women are far more comfortable driving a much smaller vehicle.
Women are extremely capable of driving anything. There are many women semi truck drivers. They aren't the weak sex anymore.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Having had this discussion recently on here - What comes after A, the conclusion seemed to be an A is great for staying over months or weeks in a locale.
Going to a B would be for longer distances with
short stays. After a longhaul a B would be great as a weekender with grandkids.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #40

Why do folks get INTO and then OUT OF a Class A Motorhome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Women are extremely capable of driving anything. There are many women semi truck drivers. They aren't the weak sex anymore.

Ahem!
Women have always ruled any roost. (et al)
Don't doubt me!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
That doesn't make his point any less valid. My wife loves to drive big SUVs, can fly planes and helicopters, yet she won't drive our rig because "it's too big". Go figure. I've encountered plenty of women who hesitate at the thought of driving a big rig (for good reason) while I've seen plenty of men jump blindly behind the wheel and promptly rip the A/C units off the roof on a low bridge. . . . .
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting, I did not see one response from a woman. That said we down sized from a 40' DP to a 30' C, I was lobbing for a 42' tag and lost. We have talked to many women who are uncomfortable riding in a A, I thing a lot h a s to do with the door area and steps at their feet. We were 63' long and the wife handled it well as tested a couple times, just incase of an emergency, but chose not to drive. Same thing with our C. She is comfortable in the C as am I, and now I agree after over a year that the down size for us was the right move as we can fit in places we could not with the larger A. Guy's just because the wife tolerates the ride does not mean it is comfortable. JMO

LEN

Tags
class a, motorhome