Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Why do folks get INTO and then OUT OF a Class A Motorhome?

I would appreciate if only those with Class A Motorhomes responding to this post. I think we can all agree that a motorhome is a different experience than other RV’s!

I’ve been reading a lot lately about wives who have been very unsettled with riding in a motorhome. I’m not really going to comment on that other than to say they must be totally different than my wife. With mine, if she was nervous about riding in a car I’d of known it well before putting her in a motorhome! But that could be just with my wife...

My question is this; How many folks do you know who got into a Class A Motorhome and got out of it shortly thereafter? What I’d really like to know isn’t “that they go out”? What I’d like to know is “WHY THEY GOT OUT”?

Rather than my speculating, I’ll let you good folks answer... Thanks
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I would appreciate if only those with Class A Motorhomes responding to this post. I think we can all agree that a motorhome is a different experience than other RV’s!

I’ve been reading a lot lately about wives who have been very unsettled with riding in a motorhome. I’m not really going to comment on that other than to say they must be totally different than my wife. With mine, if she was nervous about riding in a car I’d of known it well before putting her in a motorhome! But that could be just with my wife...

My question is this; How many folks do you know who got into a Class A Motorhome and got out of it shortly thereafter? What I’d really like to know isn’t “that they go out”? What I’d like to know is “WHY THEY GOT OUT”?

Rather than my speculating, I’ll let you good folks answer... Thanks
Don't think you're going to find all that many and if they do get out, it's mainly going to be because that found that they don't really like the lifestyle and not because they don't like this type of RV.
As for riding along, my DW feels it's the only safe way to go and is most nervous when riding in a car. In fact, we would have never ever traveled to all of the lower 48 and often on the road for months at a time, if not for owning a Motorhome.
Story short, no motorhome, no RV, because we're done with it all. Did I mention, Class A for being a requirement, as well. I mean if you're going out to see America and beyond, shouldn't it be out of the largest windshield possible?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very interesting question. We have a class A and can't imagine getting out of it. However, a few bloggers I have followed have moved from a class A to either a class B or trailer to downsize. It will allow them to get to more "adventurous" locations that may even be off road.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I've had a trailers 5ers and now 2 motorhomes. I don't see myself getting out , perhaps back to a 5er if we don't travel much or a b if we home base again but .... Since you qualified it to MH owners I would think those who have "got out" wouldn't be on the class A MH forum section anymore wouldn't they be on the trailer , 5er forums now?
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No idea! I'm going to be 70 in January, wife passed away last August and I have NO intention of getting out of RV'ing till I can no longer drive it.
I started RVing in 1957 when my parents rented a MH, then ordered a custom built one in 1958. I got my first TT when I was 21 (1968), then had three more TT's. Got my first MH in 1988 (a Type B), then a C in 1997. Got the first Type A in 1998 and first DP in 2000. Have had three DP's now, each one longer than the last (38, 40 and 45).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We moved from a 24' class C to a Class A in order to FT for "a few years."

We have a hazy plan to find one or two "perfect" locations as home bases, and then return to a small class C again. We like (and miss already) the small forest and mountain campgrounds that we preferred to stay in. We will continue with the spoke & hub FT glamping until we find our spot :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

In a class A what can be more comfortable to see the country in, giant windshield with access to kitchen and bathroom while rolling and your own king size bed to spend the night in. While my DW is deathly afraid of all bridges over dry land or water, she considers more the driver....i.e. me, having nearly 30 years experience driving big rigs, certified to train and liscense other drivers by the California DMV. I am Retiring next week and starting our tour of the lower 48 in February, taking perhaps 5 to 7 years, home base in South Dakota, winter hide out in Hemet California, our class A DP is the only way to go.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I bought a motor home from a man who sold it because his wife would not ride in it. seems she had a fear of crashing and was scared to ride in it. I picked it up for a song. This was several years ago.
Mel
Old 11-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

These Vloggers just did it (switched from MH to TT) and discuss why in this video:

| quietube
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

We had a 32' Georgetown (an '02, purchased in '10). After three seasons we decided it wasn't worth the cost (gas was around $4.5/gal) along the OR coast. When we realised we were raiding our IRAs to fund our travels, we decided to quit.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #11

We have been FTing 3 yrs now in our MH.

I have never talked to anyone who stated they were afraid of driving in a MH.

Of all the passengers I have had ride Shotgun, they all are amazed at the difference in view from a MH vice a Truck or Car.

The DW & I have decided to move to a 5er in the future for the following reasons; More living space, our home does not go into the shop for maintenance/repairs to the drive train. We do not like displacing our 3 dogs & 2 cats. We own crates for them in case of an emergence, but do not like them in there for hours or days. Finding accommodations for 5 animals is difficult and can be costly. And that is the only reasons.

We have enjoyed, are presently enjoying, and will continue to enjoy our MH until the time comes to change.

Our Pros for the MH is, ease of operation, ease of driving, animals do not have to be rounded up to put into a Truck, no need to re-connect to anything unless we are taking the toad, if need be DW can use the facilities if need be while driving (Not Recommended but she does it anyway).

My opinion is; If You Want A MH Get It, If You Like A 5er, TT or Pop Up Tent, then get what you feel is best.
Life Is Short, Get To RVing A.S.A.P. Before it's too late.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #12

"Getting in" is when a new adventure begins, because the Journey is Our Destination.
"Getting out" is when we hop in the toad to discover new places and have new and wonderful experiences.
It ain't for everyone
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #13

After having diesel powered 4wd 11.5' SC TCs since the late 70s we got our first class A MH last year because my wife was afraid of falling while getting into or out of bed. She also wanted access to the bath and fridge without having to crawl through the boot. She is 70 and I'm 77. We traveled all over the US with them, including a nearly annual trip from OR to WV and back, and a 1 1/2 month trip to AK.

I would go back to the TC in a heartbeat, but I'm not the only one in the family. The view from a MH windshield is truly wonderful, but I would trade it very quickly for the maneuverability, economy, and versatility of the diesel 4wd TC. The difference in fuel use went from 13-14 mpg towing with the TC, to 7.5 mpg towing with the MH. I have also found that the TC was much easier to work on.

I think we are different from many RV owners in that we very seldom spend a lot of time in the RV, even when it is stationary for a month or so. We use it primarily as a place to eat and sleep and are generally somewhere else doing whatever it was that brought us there.

I know this isn't exactly what you are asking for, but it is the reason we got into a class A and the reason I would get out, or never have gotten into, a class A RV. We will always have an RV, probably a class A, until we are too old to use it. Hopefully, that will be a few more years.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
For us, getting into a "Class A motorhome" when we retired was Plan-B. Plan-A was to travel across Canada and the US on our motorcycle but the unfortunate onset of my DW's serious arthritis made that approach problematic. Having owned other RVs many years ago we saw a large Class-A, suitable for full-time living, as a viable alternative. A cost analysis showed that although it had a higher initial cost, the overall cost expectancy over five years was not that different.

We kept our S&B to enable an easy fallback if this lifestyle turned out to not suit us well but now, over 2 1/2 years later we find we're not home long enough to clear the S&B out to put it on the market.

Unfortunately this may not be a great place to get "Why I got rid of my Class-A" stories as most of those folks will no longer be participating in this forum.

Tags
class a, motorhome