Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 12:18 AM   #1

Why Do My Mirrors Shake?

2021 Fleetwood.

My big mirrors vibrate pretty bad while on the road. The bottom mirrors are fine. The tops give me a headache.

When I bought it the mirrors were loose on the way home. I had to stop and buy a set of wrenches to tighten them down. The salesman told me he had them swapped for some reason.

Is this something I can fix or should I have them replace?
metalfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 12:45 AM   #2

It's under warranty. Have the dealership fix or replace them. That would drive me nuts.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do they shake more at a particular speed? Out of balance front tires are always a potential source of vibrations. It could also be a mirror install problem and has left something loose - see your dealer for that.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #4

It could be one of three things making the mirrors shake. Something could be loose. In order to be adjusted mirrors require some looseness which allow some vibration. It could be a wheel or chassis vibration migrating to the mirror stems. It also could be wind buffeting from the windshield or mirror housing. I fixed one mirror vibration just by changing the angle of the mirror housing very slightly. A carefully placed expanding foam earplug makes a great dampener for a loose electric mirror.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfarm View Post
2021 Fleetwood.

My big mirrors vibrate pretty bad while on the road. The bottom mirrors are fine. The tops give me a headache.

When I bought it the mirrors were loose on the way home. I had to stop and buy a set of wrenches to tighten them down. The salesman told me he had them swapped for some reason.

Is this something I can fix or should I have them replace?
Vibration is from the Tires - Get them Balanced - NOW.

If I were you I'd take it to the Dealer - If you have any warranty or not - Piss and Moan - this is Not right.

Tires are the problem - mirrors might also need a little work,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #6

In this case, I agree that you should take your rig for service and seek resolution under warranty.

I had the same problem in the passenger side mirror of my 22 y.o. MH. Ended up detaching it and reattaching it, adding some side padding for extra holding. Haven't had any issues since.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #7

I agree, this should be fixed under warranty by dealer.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Vibration is from the Tires - Get them Balanced - NOW.

If I were you I'd take it to the Dealer - If you have any warranty or not - Piss and Moan - this is Not right.

Tires are the problem - mirrors might also need a little work,

Best of Luck,
I guess it's possible but I can't imagine a person not feeling the vibration themselves. You would think the OP would have mentioned something to this effect in his opening post.

It could certainly be the tires or something else going on with the suspension/drivetrain, but my bet is that there's an issue with the mirrors themselves. Not mounted correctly, something loose inside the mirror's housing, broken mirrors from another rig (why did the dealer swap them out)?
Old 03-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #9

Get a stepladder and look around the mirror where the head attaches to the arm and you will find holes with allen bolt heads. Make sure they are tight.... they are probably loose.

If thats the fix, no need to go to the dealer, it should take 2-3 minutes a side.

Good luck!
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #10

If the glass mirror itself is loose in its housing, the vacuum on it created while in motion can cause the glass to vibrate. To confirm, wedge a piece of wood or other material between the glass and the frame. If that stops the movement, the glass may need to be remounted. I am assuming that you do not feel any unbalanced tire vibration on the steering wheel or seat.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
So I had loose mirrors on my 38W Forza. No way to adjust them, neither did the dealer. Called Velvac. Who made the mirrors and they confirmed it happens so they sent me anti-vibration shims to install in between the mirrors and the housings of both mirrors. Seems to get most of the vibration of them. Crappy design IMHO, there sb no vibration. Btw they're the little silver things in the two pictures. Sorry for the wrong picture orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210303_082410.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	319915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210303_082355.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	319916  

dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
So I had loose mirrors on my 38W Forza. No way to adjust them, neither did the dealer. Called Velvac. Who made the mirrors and they confirmed it happens so they sent me anti-vibration shims to install in between the mirrors and the housings of both mirrors. Seems to get most of the vibration of them. Crappy design IMHO, there sb no vibration. Btw they're the little silver things in the two pictures. Sorry for the wrong picture orientation.
This is exactly what I needed. They didn't call them shims though. $18. The dealer did not help me.
metalfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #13

Do the remote adjustments still work with the shims in place?
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #14

Many times it's the wood screws that hold mounting bracket to side of coach. I removed mine and put screws with nuts and washers.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote