RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Additionally the Winter LEVER on the air filter opens the door for air that has passed over the cylinder fins but it gets to the air filter from a paper/ foil tube that has to be properly installed in the BACK of the air filter box... but it is out of sight and MAYBE NOT connected???????, so OIL, AF, Electrical connections, spark plugs, fuel quality (age/ moisture/ water?)

No the winter lever switch is all intact with the hose and all. Interesting you mention this. I am a big fan of the winter lever on these gensets. I have noticed a big difference when using it too.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #30

I needed to take my coach down to the tire place yesterday to get a spare mounted. It's been cold here (30s) the past week and it was cold in the coach when I got in. I started the coach and then pushed the genny start - nothing, not a click or anything. I remember reading in one of the topics here that you need to prime it by pushing the stop button for a while so I did that, not sure if it did anything (I'll have to read the manual on this 7.5k) because I pressed the start and still nothing. Then I remember reading that I should just press and hold the start button for a while (like 10 secs), which I did, and then the genny started up.
A side comment was I then turned the AC control for the rooftop AC to furnace for the first time since I bought it and heard the furnace fire up and after a while it was warming up in the coach At least I know that works now.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #31
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just about any solenoid can be taken apart. Of course they are destroyed in the process in some cases but to demonstrate they are defective it is fun to get to the contacts to show peopleT.

Could you post a picture of the solenoid please. The conventional silver devices with the roundish top that has been pressed on and then rolled over a lip can be taken apart by either cutting straight through just below the cap or prying the edges off slowly.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #32
YC1

Here are some examples of an ordinary solenoid used in many applications.

You can see it is a very simple device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid opened for inspection 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	188011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid opened for inspection 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	188012  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid opened for inspection 3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	188013  
Old 01-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #33

Why Do Onan Generator Not Like The Cold Weather???

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Here are some examples of an ordinary solenoid used in many applications.

You can see it is a very simple device.

Actually thank you YC 1. The one you have pictured is exactly the switch my generator uses. But they used more plastic when manufacturing mine. Don't have the time to takes pics right now. It would mean pulling the circuit board back off. Life is busy, busy, However As soon as I have a minute, I'll post a pic of my solenoid switch as it is installed in the control box before I remove and discard it. I don't know if I'd actually go through all the work to tear the old switch apart when I can install a new on 5 minutes. In my life it gets busy enough it's crazy so I barely have enough time to put the new switch in, start up the genny and run off to another side job or another meeting. However thanks for the pics. I'll be putting the new switch in a few days here. I'll let you all know if this solves my starting issue.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #34
YC1

The extra ten minutes to take the old one apart and snap a picture would help to convince others having similiar issues that it might resolve theirs.

Just saying, paying it forward is appreciated and I sure would appreciate it because I will use it as a reference in the future.

You can sleep when you are dead. I used to work half days, sometimes a bit more but that left 12 hours for fun and games.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #35

That's just your basic "ford" fender mount starter solenoid. $12 at any auto parts store.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
I may have missed it but no one spoke of what Oil you are using. If straight 30 weight on a cold morning thick oil can contribute. However I would think 40 degrees would not make much difference.

Tags
cold weather, generator, onan