Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Yep, my wife of 57 years burns fragrance candles in our home. Many years ago, we found that some candles give off cancer causing carcinogens, but we avoid them. They are in glass containers sitting on glass plates. They are extinguished when we leave or retire for the night. She's only been doing it for about 50 some years, so we don't know the long term effects of it yet, but we'll let you know if something shows up. We have always kept out coach clean, but also have used plugin air fresheners in every one. Having farmed for the first 25 years of our life together, I used many different pesticides to control weeds, insects and disease. I mixed them and applied most of them myself. Common sense and caution somehow got me through it. Some on here probably think I'm a walking time bomb, but the truth is Until three years ago, I had never taken any meds and have always felt great. I developed AFIB and am now on blood thinners for the 2-3 time a year it occurs. At 76, I feel 30 years younger. Well maybe not when I have to get up off the floor after playing with great grandchildren. I am a living walking example that the human body can deal with what the environment throws at it.
Well put - Lucky Guy!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Soooo, I've gone to look at a few now that I feel have been ruined with air fresheners. These "fresheners" are petrochemicals, you cannot get them out of plastics (think plastic bottle after storing gasoline) so the smell has completely permeated into the cushions, carpeting, ceiling, fabric and so on.

For the life of me I don't understand why in such a small space people would use something so unhealthy and toxic?

Anyway, just a rant, has anybody else had this issue when trying to buy an RV? I bought one many years ago thinking I could get the smell out of and after months of airing it out, shock treating with ozone, baking soda, and cleaning the smell wouldn't budge so I sold it.
I am in the air freshener/odor control business. May I suggest an air freshener with essential oils, it not only freshens the air, but also neutralizes the air.
Crimson Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:34 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Tide View Post
I am in the air freshener/odor control business. May I suggest an air freshener with essential oils, it not only freshens the air, but also neutralizes the air.

You are just the guy I'm looking to talk to! So, I would like to know scientifically how essential oils make the air fresher? I could see had you said plant a tree in your motorhome or something but how does adding say tea tree oil to the air "freshen" it?

Also, how would said tea tree oil "neutralize"
(render (something) ineffective or harmless by applying an opposite force or effect.
"impatience at his frailty began to neutralize her fear") the air? I guess we want our air to have a neutral odor but to me that would mean no odor.

I am curious though about the science of making air fresher and how adding scents to it freshens it.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 AM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Maybe the same reason some use perfume instead of bathing????

Keep it clean and maybe some natural herbs around.
I agree MOMDOC. Stop at a farm market and buy some lavender or jasmine and just let some dry naturally. Smells good and helps keep insects away.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
You are just the guy I'm looking to talk to! So, I would like to know scientifically how essential oils make the air fresher? I could see had you said plant a tree in your motorhome or something but how does adding say tea tree oil to the air "freshen" it?

Also, how would said tea tree oil "neutralize"
(render (something) ineffective or harmless by applying an opposite force or effect.
"impatience at his frailty began to neutralize her fear") the air? I guess we want our air to have a neutral odor but to me that would mean no odor.

I am curious though about the science of making air fresher and how adding scents to it freshens it.
Well put TAZ. I second the request!

Basically it means to me... by asking an expert... What Up?? RE air smell and air contents/quality.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Actually that is not correct. Although some synthetics and petrochemicals are indeed also used, much of the quality perfume is made from natural ingredients. Hundreds of them in some fragrances. I've seen hundreds of tons of lavender, rose petals etc. etc. shipped in. Some ingredients are animal based.

Your opinions do not appear to be based on familiarity with this complex art form and industry.

Done with this.

I wish he would NOT be done and would give us a specific name of a specific product he uses.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancybninja View Post
I wish he would NOT be done and would give us a specific name of a specific product he uses.
Ditto
Old 05-22-2019, 02:30 AM   #64

There will be no responses by anybody on how adding petrochemicals or even essential oils to air makes it "fresher" because clearly that's counter intuitive. It's mass marketing that people have just come to accept at face value and they simply don't care if it's making them sick or not.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Actually that is not correct. Although some synthetics and petrochemicals are indeed also used, much of the quality perfume is made from natural ingredients. Hundreds of them in some fragrances. I've seen hundreds of tons of lavender, rose petals etc. etc. shipped in. Some ingredients are animal based.

Your opinions do not appear to be based on familiarity with this complex art form and industry.
Done with this.

Didn't the perfume industry use whale byproducts for most of the last century to enhance smell and persistence of aroma's?

I hear what you are saying, but much hype/advertising dollars, "expert" opinions have gone into the whole "Natural" is better and "Natural" is safe movement. . . . Being stated often and loudly does not necessarily make it true though.

"Natural" materials are not necessarily "Safe", or "good for you" . . . Arsenic and Asbestos readily come to mind . . .

Soooooo, exactly WHAT "Natural" ingredients are IN those perfumes?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #66

In boats, trailers, RV's, houses etc, etc... I've always found that keeping things quite clean and often opening windows/doors makes the best fresh smell ever.

I'm not at all in favor of colognes on men, perfumes on women [although have smelled a few attractive ones on gals!], scents on dogs, air fresheners [sprays or otherwise] in-doors. Nor do I like scented laundry or counter/floor cleaning detergents. Greatly dislike auto/truck fresheners... again, keep clean / open windows.

I do feel that around toilet-base areas in boats and RV's... lightly sprayed Lysol works well when used in-between thorough wash-down cleanings.

Simple is as simple does. Nature is the best scent known to humans. Why mess it up with anthropogenic mixed junk chemicals or even concoctions of "natural" ingredients?? Why?????

Tags
air, motorhome, motorhomes