RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #1

Why do they always park like that? and tail swing

itís kind of amusing, until i have to put it in gear. then the cars that park snug to my bumpers become more of an annoyance. itís like sitting at a beach with 100 feet of empty on both sides, and then someone decides six feet from you is their spot.
anyway, back to tail swing. shortly.
i store a 28-foot winnie vista on base. with all the social distancing going on, i figured iíd get the winnie, park along the coast, read and distance. which i did for three days. and thatís when the guy tried to squeeze into the space in front of me, which turned out to be too tight for him to get into, so he pulled up three spaces where there was a good 30 feet of nobody parking. he parked there easily.
then the governor issued a stay-at-home order. so i thought itíd be better to return the rv and get the civic.
driving to base, i passed a gas station, $2.99 a gallon!! thatís a deal in SoCal, so i pulled in, lined up at the back pump and proceeded to fill up.
wouldnít you know it, seven empty pumps. the guys pulls into the spot right in front of me. actually drove around and backed in.
i fill up, climb in, start up and wait for him to finish and get out of the way.
but wait. he has to go into the store now.
i wait a minute, i donít know how long heíll be. iíll pull around him.
i actually backed up a little, but looking at my rear view camera, i think, Ďiím not backing up any more, what if someone pulls in or something?í
so i put it in drive, pull out to the right, and Ö
you know those thick round yellow metal posts they put next to gas pumps?
thereís this thing called tail swing.
well, dude comes out of the store and gives me that 'yeah, i'm getting out of your way right now' nod.
lessons learned:
be patient. don't rush even the simplest things.
fill up at the front pump so you wonít have to pull around anyone.
determine the arc your rear bumper will make if youíre turning in a tight space.
any wise words from the experienced travelers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6945.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	279031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6946.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	279032  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6952.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	279033  

unhipcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 04:13 AM   #2

There is a fueling stop close to home I like to use. However the only pump I can use is on the end. So typically I wait in my 40' DP on the side until both pumps are empty and I drive to the pump that will accommodate my long RV. I block one pump but must in order to not block traffic around the fueling station. This is a busy station and sometimes I have to wait 5-10 minutes for both pumps to clear. The last time I was waiting and a women using one of the pumps finished and started to go into the station. I intercepted her and asked if she would move so I could get to the pump. She obviously saw me waiting. She refused said she would only be a minute but by the time she returned the other pump was now occupied, requiring me to wait again until it cleared.

I would like to think she didn't understand the situation.

Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
There is a fueling stop close to home I like to use. However the only pump I can use is on the end. So typically I wait in my 40' DP on the side until both pumps are empty and I drive to the pump that will accommodate my long RV. I block one pump but must in order to not block traffic around the fueling station. This is a busy station and sometimes I have to wait 5-10 minutes for both pumps to clear. The last time I was waiting and a women using one of the pumps finished and started to go into the station. I intercepted her and asked if she would move so I could get to the pump. She obviously saw me waiting. She refused said she would only be a minute but by the time she returned the other pump was now occupied, requiring me to wait again until it cleared.

I would like to think she didn't understand the situation.
I had a similar experience. I had my 5th wheel and needed the diesel pump. This guy wips in and takes one pump but never got fuel! He parked and went in. As he walked by he stared right at me with a smurk. So I wiggle my way around and blocked the jerk in. I'm putting in fuel when he comes out. He shakes his head at me. I nod my head at him as to say hello. He had to back way out.

Most people know what they are doing. They are just jerks.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I concur, some people are just being jerks. To all of them, they will get their's and I hope they get it good.
But as you have now learned, Not being in a hurry is a blessing, that is why we have MH's & TT's & 5th wheels because the journey is part of the enjoyment.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:26 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
TherE is a lesson in your tail swing episode. Always leave at least 3 or 4 feet between your rig and the pumps to allow for tail swing on departure. More if the departure route requires a quick turn.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #6

My motorhome has a long wheelbase PLUS a short rear overhang. Also, it has a fuel filling port on each side, both are right behind the front tires. All this gives me more options on how to park at the pump. It's a good thing too, as I have little patience.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #7

First of all to Unhipcat: Ouch!! That sucks! Amazing amount of damage that pole did to your rig. Hopefully it will be easy to fix.

Tail-Swing: It was the biggest thing for me to get used to when I started learning to drive box trucks. That hole looking in your mirrors to the rear side, while still moving forward. Had to consciously remember to do the same driving our rig, which has a 11' rear overhang.

People parking Close to the RV: Yeah!,... can't quite understand it myself. You'll have a large open parking lot, and invariably you get one driver parking right next to you. Or as JenandJon stated parking in the gas station blocking your way out. Had that happen in Tehachapi, CA. After they finished pumping gas, the driver left to go shopping at the truck stop store. Had to wait a good 5-10 minutes (seemed like an eternity) for them to come back. Of course they did do a quick, "Sorry man." when they came back, but my wife was less than pleased.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
TherE is a lesson in your tail swing episode. Always leave at least 3 or 4 feet between your rig and the pumps to allow for tail swing on departure. More if the departure route requires a quick turn.
X2 - have to get used to doing this.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I concur, some people are just being jerks. To all of them, they will get their's and I hope they get it good.
But as you have now learned, Not being in a hurry is a blessing, that is why we have MH's & TT's & 5th wheels because the journey is part of the enjoyment.
But some are just plain stupid.....

I had my long bed, crew cab diesel truck, with my toy hauler trailer in tow.... the combination was 60+ ft together...

I pulled in and the back pump left me hanging out. With the car at the front pump, I couldn't drive in deep enough for the diesel hose to reach... So I had to wait for the car, at the front pump to move...

There were two people just sitting in the car, and the driver was talking on his phone... I saw him hang the nozzle when I first pulled up. They were sharing in the phone conversation and the driver would occasionally look at me in his mirror.. They just sat at the pump island, gabbing away on the phone.

After waiting at least 5 minutes, I walked up to his window and asked if he was finished getting gas... He said, "Yes".

I asked if he could move, so I could pull up to the pump. With a shocked look on his face he said, "Oh, you are waiting to get gas?"

Some people are just really, really stupid......
hattitude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #10

My gas filler is on the back end of my RV, so I usually take up 2 pumps. Otherwise my front bumper would be 6 feet from the store part of the gas station.
Then again, I get the equivalent of 3 or 4 car fill-ups.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post

Some people are just really, really stupid......

Yes, but the worse and most dangerous are those people that are stupid and mean. I try a make an effort to avoid those types.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
i have gotten into confrontations about this,since my total leagth is 63 ft and take gas, so i feel your pain but some members here feel i am wrong.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #13

My opinion is that they are either ignorant or arrogant - or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
....Some people are just really, really stupid......
My experience with tail swing was with our Midas Mini, way back in 1979. We were parked at the curb and I looked out the side mirror to avoid tail swing when driving away. However, I didn't look up to see a small sign hanging out from the pole that I saw and avoided. Ooops, a nice slice in the upper rear side
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I had a similar experience. I had my 5th wheel and needed the diesel pump. This guy wips in and takes one pump but never got fuel! He parked and went in. As he walked by he stared right at me with a smurk. So I wiggle my way around and blocked the jerk in. I'm putting in fuel when he comes out. He shakes his head at me. I nod my head at him as to say hello. He had to back way out.

Most people know what they are doing. They are just jerks.
I refer to them as something other than jerks. Happens all the time. They pull up to a pump, get a few dollars of fuel and then go into the mini market and shop all the time knowing you are sitting there waiting for them to move the car so you can get some fuel.