Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #99

Why buy?

Why buy clothes? They wear out and get outgrown
Why buy a house? It needs constant repair
Why buy food? You just get hooked and keep buying
Why buy anything?
You canít take any of it with you
Just send you money to me!!!
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #100

We bought a 07 ne or 5 Newmar 33 ft. Haven't had one problem and have lived in it for 4 or 5 months at a time as snowbirds. Sorry to hear of all problems recently. It seems to me that they are making the new ones to fancy for price and size.
Jimwsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #101

Why Class A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan1 View Post
Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.
We tested a Class B then an A about the same length...25ft when we first purchased. I was leaning to the Cl B until I test drove the units. The difference in the view from the Class A versus the B was the deal maker.

Driving the A we both had a panoramic view from the huge front window....it was like a rolling drive in movie. The Cl B seemed claustrophobic afterwards. With the overhang of the unit over the cab and the smaller windshield it just seemed closed in and limited the view drastically.

We realized going in there would be hassles with quality issues with the unit as we travelled, we realized it was not a cheap way to travel but as the poster above stated no point saving for a future that might not arrive and we ain't taking any of it with us. Fortunately we discovered Newmar and our 2017 has given us 20,000 miles and 5 trouble free years of enjoyment. Would not trade our travel experiences for double or triple the money we spent. 100 plus nights on the road per year and the cost starts to even out.
belfast1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #102

Quote:
Why does anyone buy a Class A? Or any RV for that matter!
We have a 30' Class-A because:
1) She fits in about 84% of NP camp grounds
2) On-board generator
3) Can shower in the parking lot at 6AM, waiting for Old Faithful to blow.
4) Have our own bathroom & bedroom.
5) Works great to eat 'Take-Out' food hot, in the Covid era parking lot.
6) Convenient for all of our son's 16U all weekend travel baseball tournaments.
7) If one of us gets sick, the other can drive. (Been there, done that.)

Quote:
When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks.
No they do not. However, depending on manufacture & often what era they were built, they can be quite bullet proof. Ours has no slide outs to break, and a steel wall and roof structure. She survived a 8" diameter tree branch hitting the roof 2 years ago, with just one scratch.

With that said, some Year & Manufacture RVs need to be inspected thoroughly, and avoided, if maintenance was not performed. As with any car or truck, some years and models are better than others. No one today would by a brand new 1989 Hyundai Excel (they were cheap), and (I worked on them back then), but many would consider purchasing a modern one.

For example, Winnebago can have issues with their roofs of maintenance is not performed every year (at least), or 6 months as some recommend. If not, damage can quickly follow, leading to a complete roof job. Let the AZ Expert explain.

Quote:
And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again.
To an extent this is correct, but it's not everything. Yes, rough roads are bad, and we do our best to avoid them, lower our speed, change lanes, have good shock, correct air pressure etcetera.
Have hear others state, "They are subject to hurricane winds". A category 1 hurricane is 74-95 mph. Yeah,....we normally do not travel that fast. Class-As are generally not that flimsy. (Maybe some tin and staple units, but not Class-A, B or C and even most 5th wheels. )
Old 10-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #103

This post has actually gotten funny!
The majority of us clearly responded to the ops title, "Why Would Anybody Own A Class A " but if you carefully read the post itself, you will see that he presently owns a class A and he was comparing it to his previously owned class B & C. His title was a bit misleading but I believe he was just making a statement about the quality of our rv's.
Sure made for some good reading though!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #104

Quote:
Or any RV for that matter! When you read the thousands of complaints on here it is painfully clear that RV makers do not have the technology or ability to produce a product with a defect rate similar to cars & trucks. I understand that part of the problem is using cheap components to save money. Also the lack of suppliers is an issue. And finally its a house subjected to earthquake conditions over and over again. Obviously we are far from having the ability to produce a rock solid RV. Having said that my Class A units have been the best in the "service calls per year" category. The worst was my Class B followed by Class C.
So you can experience the fun of having a rattling 1970s defect filled American car and poorly built, structuraly deficient old house all at once. Its a twofer.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:09 PM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
The wife and I have and love our coach as we like moving our "cabin with our stuff" from the Rocky Mountains to the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Gulf Shore at any time! And yes it get's bounced around on many a highway but nothing major has broken (yet).

I'd guess that most "postings" to iRV2 happen when an RV owner has a problem (I know a majority of the new threads I create are usually problem related). Hence it seems like all we read about are complaints. I wonder if the Forum Moderators could add buttons like "problem", "no problems", "just wanna chat" to the "start new thread" function to be able to track how many posts are, or are not, about a problem with an RV?
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #106

We went from a 16' molded FG Scamp to a much much nicer 19' molded FG Escape (made in Canada). The last was the best quality TT with zero issues in the few years we had it.

Enter COVID!

We did not want to be cheek to jowl with people in steamy small RV park laundry rooms or shower facilities. Yes the Escape and Scamp had wet "Bath rooms" but very tiny and soaked the toilet etc.

So our option last year as we have no choice but to escape Michigan's seasonal Ice Age before the glaciers began their annual march down our 22į to 24į driveway that leads to the street was to find another option for living on the road below the hard freeze line for 4-5 months.

OK Class A was the only way to go with a washer and drier unit.
Drove south an hour or so to Grand Rapids and found a single RV dealer with a smaller class A.

The HR Invicta, new model for them in 2020.
Wife and I walked through it and asked about Washer/drier combo and yes one could be installed in a week.

With little or no discussion wife said we should take it.
So we wrote the check and headed home to wait for the install.

Opps needed t pull our Ford Explorer... so another 2 week wait while the Ford was modified and a Blue-OX tow bar set up was installed.

So now this year we departed Mich. early Oct. and are currently in the Olympic Peninsula Wash. spending a week in the Olympic National Park.

OH... the Invicta is as front Gasser and 35' and change so good for most National Parks and state campgrounds. Wanted a diesel pusher but only found a used Tiffin in the state that was poorly maintained found so passed on it.

Yep had a host of issues with the coach the first year. ALL, yes 100% covered under warranty. Go REV RV super customer support.

This trip we lost windscreen wipers, water heater and the Brake Buddy in the toad Ford burned up one night at an overnight stop.

Will need to arm wrestle the "Extended warranty" contract folk on the above issues.

Water heater repaired in Utah, and replaced the Brake Buddy. Wipers are working with new motor but only high and low now park or intermittent features at present.

Thanks to RainX I could see to drive safely w/o wipers.

While as tropical ecologists (wife worked on jaguars - cats not cars, and I still do bats and lived in Central American for a quarter of a century) we still believe SMALL is Beautiful... we are happy with the Class A for now.

Likely after this long trip ~ 8K miles to the Pacific NW then Calif. coast on to the SW and back to Mich. via Utah and Colo. we will do one more trip with Vickie to Jekyll Island, GA next winter one of our all time favorite wintering spots. After that we will likely put the Invicta on the market and get another Escape. Likely a bit larger than the 19'

So that's our story on Why a Class A choice.

Cheers all,
Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
For the air horns, obv.
Thatís why my wife insisted upon it! Also, she never did get the hang of backing up our fifth wheel.
robertlipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #108

My Lord people, is anyone out there really thinking? First, I have a 2008 Monaco Camelot and it has been outstanding! And only a few minor things that are to be expected, not much different than your own home. Second, stand back and imagine for a second how many different systems there are within a large Class A motorhome.
You have a huge diesel drive train similar to semi trucks, set into a high tech heavy duty frame and suspension system, which carry around a giant house box jam packed with stuff that includes 12 V systems, 120 V 50 amp systems, your charging systems, sewer system, freshwater system, AC systems, water heating system, propane system, hydraulic lift systems with bags, if you have them , and all the appliances that are in a home.
Not to mention your auto tracking satellite dish, your automatic awnings, And your entertainment system.
Anyone that buys a class a motorhome should also possess the basic skills and tools necessary to stay on top of minor things that need to be addressed, you know who you are. Again, just like the home you live in. If you donít possess these basic skills, youíre probably one of the many people that I have met in a variety of places, who have asked for my help to fix stuff. Just like a car, you sometimes need a mechanic for more complex issues. The single most important thing for your motor coach is proper and routine maintenance, maintenance and maintenance.
The majority of things that I see becoming problematic for people happened because of negligent maintenance practices. Motor coaches are a luxury item, not a necessity!
Remember, there are many people who really should just not own complex pieces of equipment like a Class A motor coach!
Enjoy
TwinOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogHollow View Post
...A hand built vehicle like a RV will never reach the quality you see in a car or light truck, just because they are hand built. Especially when the parent company is pushing, pushing, pushing for faster production. Add to that all the extra systems a RV has, the number of components sitting on cargo ships outside of Long Beach, rather than arriving at the factory on time and you have the perfect storm for poor quality. We as buyers just have to be aware of that and shop carefully.
Complaints about quality problems have been posted here long before the partially fake news about cargo ships being backed up at ports. In fake news pictures of ships all allegedly waiting to enter a port, some are in port, some are waiting, some are exiting.

Having worked in a manufacturing environment long ago, I do agree with your assessment about production line pressure and the impact on quality. As PMs say about the "triple constraint" - You can have quality, cost, or schedule. Pick two (or one).
Old 10-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #110

Canít put a price on a good time. Nothing like the RV life
Old 10-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #111

Bottom line is if you have to ask that question you donít need one and shouldnít buy one
SanCristobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #112

Well all I can say is when you lay your head on that pillow in a plush motel try not to think of what other body parts were on it before you....
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a