Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2020, 05:48 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbago97 View Post
Interesting topic, and I'll take a stab at a few of them.

2. 4500 watts? Not sure most RVs have enough space on the roof for even half of that.
3. Still an expensive initial investment, and only worth it for those who are boondocking a lot. Even then, it's still easier to use a generator than to go with solar and batteries.
7. Not sure I would find that too useful since the things I put in the basement are not things I need to use inside. It would complicate the flooring/carpet too.
9. Not sure why anyone would want that unless it was a really small RV with no room for both.
10. No one should be sleeping in the bed while the RV is moving. I am not sure any manufacturer would want to be liable for the safety of such a seat belt either.
21. I have a portable induction cooktop and love it, but I also like having the propane stove. If boondocking, it's good to still have redundancy.
22. Most of the country has cell phone coverage now.
On #7 I can think of 1 reason for it. My friends live on their sailboat and right under the dining room table they have a hatch iN the floor that acts as their wine cellar. Fits a whole case. PERFECT!
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2020, 06:06 AM   #44

You would never be happy even in a Prevost motorhome, so I suggest you donít buy one.....
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:19 AM   #45

Thank you, thank you. Happy to see that I'm not the only one who suffers from insufficient funds.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:16 AM   #46

Another Item That Would be Handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
As we search for our Ideal full time Class A DP, we find some things the are in only a tiny percentage of motor homes or none and cannot understand why they are not more common. Probably someone here can explain some of these things.

Why donít they:

1. Put the shower enclosure all the way up to the ceiling? There is room for a decent height shower but they stop the enclosure 2 feet or more from the ceiling and leave me crouching to wash my hair.

2. Have 4500 watts of solar on most RVs?

3. Use lithium house batteries.

4. Put toilets up higher so you do not have to squat down so much to sit on them. We did this in our home and it is wonderful.

5. Have more and larger windows.

6. All have swivel front seats that become part of your living area.

7. Have access to ďbasementĒ storage bays form inside the RV?

8. Include sturdier step well covers. Many or most of the used RV we looked at the stepwell covers no longer work properly and the new ones look like they will break tomorrow. They are all so thin and cheaply made cheap motors plastic gears etc.

9. Combine grey and black water tanks?

10. Have a seat belt restraint like thing for the bed so if someone is sleeping while the other is driving they do not get killed in an accident.

11. Use automatic or push button tinting for the windows, so you can have privacy or keep out heat, but then see out clearly when you want to see out.

12. Have windows that open (some do, but most seem to not). Especially on the driverís side.

13. Have a driverís door?

14. Have a reinforced (aluminum?) walkway/deck on the roof?

15. Have skylights? I know they can get hot in some places, but you can easily have covers.

16. Include tie down rings here and there like they do in the bed of a pickup truck so you can tie down inside items (like a big parrot cage) when you are traveling.

17. Paint in basic two or three tone colors without tacky swirls?

18. Have rear windows (except on a very few exceptions).

19. All use adjustable beds that can become a couch during the day?

20. More frequently have a pull down bed in the wasted space over the driverís and passengerís head (We saw this once and it was on a junky Thor).

21. All use a removable induction range instead of gas. It is so much safer and you can cook stinky stuff outside.

22. Use CB radios much anymore?
How about a standard or optional pressure washer. Cold water unit wouldn't need a tank, just a pump and hose. All kinds of cleaning necessities at a campsite.
Gearhead56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
THEY haven't figured out how to make a black/grey tank sensor work yet.
Thatís just wrong. Seelevel sensors have solved that problem. I have them on my coach and they have worked perfectly for 7 years. You can install them on any RV.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjim View Post
On #7 I can think of 1 reason for it. My friends live on their sailboat and right under the dining room table they have a hatch iN the floor that acts as their wine cellar. Fits a whole case. PERFECT!
You can’t exactly open the basement of a sailboat from the outside can you? But you can on an RV. A trap door in the floor going to the basement would cost money, reduce structural strength, be cosmetically difficult, and would have no utility value at all to me.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
2008 Tiifin Allegro Bay FRED has
1, 4, 5, 6, 12, 13, 14 and 15.

#9 - are you serious?

10 - explain how you could be effectively restrained in a bed and be remotely comfortable.
Roadwarrior7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #50

Higher voltage solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
As we search for our Ideal full time Class A DP, we find some things the are in only a tiny percentage of motor homes or none and cannot understand why they are not more common. Probably someone here can explain some of these things.

Why donít they:

1. Put the shower enclosure all the way up to the ceiling? There is room for a decent height shower but they stop the enclosure 2 feet or more from the ceiling and leave me crouching to wash my hair.

2. Have 4500 watts of solar on most RVs?

3. Use lithium house batteries.

4. Put toilets up higher so you do not have to squat down so much to sit on them. We did this in our home and it is wonderful.

5. Have more and larger windows.

6. All have swivel front seats that become part of your living area.

7. Have access to ďbasementĒ storage bays form inside the RV?

8. Include sturdier step well covers. Many or most of the used RV we looked at the stepwell covers no longer work properly and the new ones look like they will break tomorrow. They are all so thin and cheaply made cheap motors plastic gears etc.

9. Combine grey and black water tanks?

10. Have a seat belt restraint like thing for the bed so if someone is sleeping while the other is driving they do not get killed in an accident.

11. Use automatic or push button tinting for the windows, so you can have privacy or keep out heat, but then see out clearly when you want to see out.

12. Have windows that open (some do, but most seem to not). Especially on the driverís side.

13. Have a driverís door?

14. Have a reinforced (aluminum?) walkway/deck on the roof?

15. Have skylights? I know they can get hot in some places, but you can easily have covers.

16. Include tie down rings here and there like they do in the bed of a pickup truck so you can tie down inside items (like a big parrot cage) when you are traveling.

17. Paint in basic two or three tone colors without tacky swirls?

18. Have rear windows (except on a very few exceptions).

19. All use adjustable beds that can become a couch during the day?

20. More frequently have a pull down bed in the wasted space over the driverís and passengerís head (We saw this once and it was on a junky Thor).

21. All use a removable induction range instead of gas. It is so much safer and you can cook stinky stuff outside.

22. Use CB radios much anymore?
Those considering strong solar capabilities need to learn about higher voltage solar. Vastly improves capacity. I read about it on a utube channel, named ďbeginning this morningĒ check it out.

Search for the solar episodes.
NIACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Newell RVs start at around $2 million and would have all or most of these things!!

Except #9. EEWWWW!!!
Old 02-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #52

I love CBs. I think it is neat to be able to talk tot he people right next to you. I have not used on in decades though. Do truckers still use them?

I was a big CBer back in the day, Ď70s & Ď80s. They are relatively dead these days. Digital ham is where you can find consistent action, but you are not getting local road/bear reports.

Ooooorrrrrr! You could simply not do crime... what a concept!
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
You canít exactly open the basement of a sailboat from the outside can you? But you can on an RV. A trap door in the floor going to the basement would cost money, reduce structural strength, be cosmetically difficult, and would have no utility value at all to me.
Your way to serious. Just let it flow, as Dr. J would say!
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:32 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
If they combined gray and black water tanks and you stayed in the shower too long you could be standing in sewage.
Robert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
If I had that many issues Iíd just stay home.
RudysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to John Jackson
Hatch In the Floor

Once saw an RV at a show that had the hatch in the floor that allowed you to access your basement chest freezer. That was many years ago and before we purchased our first RV. Now on our second RV and have the chest freezer; I have to go outside to get the ice cream. Still thinking about that hatch.