Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #127
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 16,488
Blog Entries: 1
Why I buy a “NEW” Class A Motorhome! And don’t judge as I’ll not budge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
What about the people like myself, who has a great job, great credit but refuses to finance anything? I buy only what i can pay cash for.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This is an important financial part of owning an RV.
I bought used, paid less than 1/2 of new, the bugs were gone. I not only missed the early years depreciation, but was able to pay cash rather than finance.
If a loan is viewed from its amortization table, there is a HUGE benefit to paying cash.
WyoFree, why would several MORE thousands in savings be unrelated? It could be a nifty way to buy a more upscale rig like I did.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
WyoFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,445
Hi Dave,

My comments had nothing to do with financing, my comment has to do with the old argument "pay cash or you're an idiot" syndrome. Next thing it will be Montana LLC and is just another one of those conversations that never ends well...

As I said earlier, someone paying cash or financing has nothing to do with our conversation and don't want it to go there for the reasons stated!

Thank you one and all for your kind understanding!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #129
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 97
just ordered

Just joined the forum, but I thought this was an interesting discussion.

Our first time out, we had a very tiny budget because we were really just testing the waters, and prices of rvs honestly seemed crazy. We purchased an older higher end Class C that I stumbled into that was incredibly well taken care of, low mileage, and just all in all a great rv. It was longer than I had wanted at 31' but honestly was the kind of deal you just can't pass up. We had it for about 3 years, and really enjoyed it. I personally didn't love driving such a large rig, but was capable.

We decided that we wanted to upgrade this year, and sold the class C privately. We looked around at most of the dealers, most of which were horrible, and found a few options that we thought would work for us, but no one was really offering us a fair deal and we just weren't sure what we wanted (mostly me). Also, I am usually a used buyer, through and through. It just makes financial sense to buy a well tended late model of anything. I am just generally a bargain shopper so buying new is a personal struggle for me.

We went to the rv show, and while we had a budget in mind, we are lucky in that budget was not our limiting factor. We looked at the models that we thought would work again, and a few used models that would work, and we stumbled on the Tiffin dealer. I had wanted to see them because they seemed really nice, but the dealer was pretty far from us so hadn't walked through one yet, and also they didn't make am model that met my length criteria (under 30 ft.). Well, we went back and forth, back and forth, and BACK AND FORTH, and there was no contest. The model we had originally thought would work for us looked so chintzy compared to the Tiffin, we threw it off the list. The smaller Winnebago "show price" was only a few thousand less than the Tiffin, and there were no used ones, and I know they are not as easy to find used, so right then and there I decided to compromise and throw everything I wanted out the window and we ended up negotiating a bit with the salesman and ordered a new tiffin to be delivered in 10-ish weeks.

I must admit I am looking forward to having a warrantee. We blew the budget we had in mind out of the water, but we got something we really love and we can afford it so that's ok. It's longer than I wanted so I'm back to driving a big rig, but it is going to be a pleasure to stay in, even with kids and dogs.

So having done both, I think buying both used and new have very valid benefits. It's important to figure out what you want most, and go from there. For us, quality ended up being the factor that trumped almost everything.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #130
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeflowers View Post
Just joined the forum, but I thought this was an interesting discussion.

Our first time out, we had a very tiny budget because we were really just testing the waters, and prices of rvs honestly seemed crazy. We purchased an older higher end Class C that I stumbled into that was incredibly well taken care of, low mileage, and just all in all a great rv. It was longer than I had wanted at 31' but honestly was the kind of deal you just can't pass up. We had it for about 3 years, and really enjoyed it. I personally didn't love driving such a large rig, but was capable.

We decided that we wanted to upgrade this year, and sold the class C privately. We looked around at most of the dealers, most of which were horrible, and found a few options that we thought would work for us, but no one was really offering us a fair deal and we just weren't sure what we wanted (mostly me). Also, I am usually a used buyer, through and through. It just makes financial sense to buy a well tended late model of anything. I am just generally a bargain shopper so buying new is a personal struggle for me.

We went to the rv show, and while we had a budget in mind, we are lucky in that budget was not our limiting factor. We looked at the models that we thought would work again, and a few used models that would work, and we stumbled on the Tiffin dealer. I had wanted to see them because they seemed really nice, but the dealer was pretty far from us so hadn't walked through one yet, and also they didn't make am model that met my length criteria (under 30 ft.). Well, we went back and forth, back and forth, and BACK AND FORTH, and there was no contest. The model we had originally thought would work for us looked so chintzy compared to the Tiffin, we threw it off the list. The smaller Winnebago "show price" was only a few thousand less than the Tiffin, and there were no used ones, and I know they are not as easy to find used, so right then and there I decided to compromise and throw everything I wanted out the window and we ended up negotiating a bit with the salesman and ordered a new tiffin to be delivered in 10-ish weeks.

I must admit I am looking forward to having a warrantee. We blew the budget we had in mind out of the water, but we got something we really love and we can afford it so that's ok. It's longer than I wanted so I'm back to driving a big rig, but it is going to be a pleasure to stay in, even with kids and dogs.

So having done both, I think buying both used and new have very valid benefits. It's important to figure out what you want most, and go from there. For us, quality ended up being the factor that trumped almost everything.
Glad it worked out for you, but the Moral of the Story is to NEVER go to an RV show with your checkbook!
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2019 F-150 Toad. U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #131
Senior Member
 
WyoFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,445
Hi Wildeflower and welcome aboard. Tiffin builds a good coach and should give you many years of fun and service. The nice thing about it being longer than intended is it will probably last with you longer. Length is generally one of the first things folks want to change in a motorhome.

More space is a big thing in a motorhome and then comes better ride, better equipment etc, etc! You made a good choice so enjoy!

Again, glad to have you with us!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #132
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Glad it worked out for you, but the Moral of the Story is to NEVER go to an RV show with your checkbook!
Ha! Yes, well, we live in California and it's harder to get dealers to negotiate here, so we were prepared to buy if offered a fair price. I could have probably gotten it slightly cheaper if I was willing to buy out of state, but I really just don't have time to do that. We are satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyofree View Post
Length is generally one of the first things folks want to change in a motorhome.
Yes, I'm aware. I had a 31 and my intent was to go SHORTER. You see where that got me. In the end, I know it will probably drive much better than our class C did, and though it didn't meet my length requirement, it meets every other one of our needs, and we really loved the floorplan. Looking forward to many trips in it.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 980
Well, Ihink everyone else has said it all. just throwing in my 2 cents. OP is a very niter tainting writer, for sure. All my life I have bought used cars until recently. The major reason I changed was 0% financing. With the MH, though, especially the first, I thought there are too many problems I could get stuck with buying used. Of course I did not realize at the time that the same could happen buying new. At least there was the consolation of warranties. For me though., a MH involves very private things. I too am fanatically meticulous in maintenance, upkeep, and cleanliness. So I feel better buying a lower quality new coach. Now, whoever buys this coach after name will get one better than new except for normal wear, with everything working better than new. My thought, for me, is that I find it easier to start from scratch than to catch up from behind.

This forum is invaluable for hearing all of the the different points of view, the weaknesses and strengths of the various RV's. It is great to see all of the participation. Happy camping to all. Three months to go up here before she rolls again.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #134
Senior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 980
Congratulations Wildflower. Tiffin is at the top of my wish list should I ever get the opportunity to buy again. I will be in my 70's by then, so it will likely be my last coach. It is a quite a bit over my budget but hopefully with the trade of the current coach it will be doable.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #135
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 16
Loved to see photos if you get the time.
WildFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #136
Senior Member
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 818
For me it is very simple. I like to mod stuff and tend to break stuff, and have trouble selling things cause my mods sometimes deface the RV. So used is better cause I'll hose it up anyway. After I get done drilling holes in every imaginable surface and then changing everything around, nobody else wants it, so I might as well buy used, very used since it won't matter. NOw where did I put my hole saw.
__________________
2017 WGO Fuse
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #137
Senior Member
 
WyoFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,445
Hey garbonz, I hope you put out a warning sign when driving down the highways and byways!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
class a, motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy Now! Buy Buy Buy!!!! damdannyboy Newmar Owner's Forum 2 07-30-2015 04:08 PM
Wheel hupcap won't budge kokosfriend Thor Industries Owner's Forum 8 07-28-2014 05:27 PM
Passenger Slide Won't Budge Dave and Jaime Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 17 06-20-2011 02:26 PM
Jack will not budge CoastieSCPO MH-General Discussions & Problems 14 01-10-2010 09:51 AM
Marc Budge (MRBV10) Don (W5IT) iRV2 Member Memorial 4 01-04-2010 12:05 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.