Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
I thought that the second thing you should look for in a new Rig is to make sure that you get a hold of all the paper work and specks on everything in and about your RIG. there should be a manual on just about everything in your Rig, don't let the salesman tell you he does not have all of them. He does. Just a though.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #30

Thanks Walter, I'll make sure of it!
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
To each their own, that's what great about the U.S. we are not limited, enjoy your new coach.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
You haven't said whether or not you have a coach now or if you've ever owned one. If not ever, you might be in for a rude awakening, if you think new comes without it's problems and one can sometimes count on the original owner to get it all straightened out and taken care of it for them.
I don't own and I have experience with them but only as a kid who knew not of the troubles. Also drove a variety of them in my last career, but they were always rentals, so someone else's headaches

I'm well aware of the pros and cons of each choice, I've been doing my homework

My money sense says go used, I was merely pointing out a supporting perspective for the OP
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
I'm that guy that fits the song "Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget!" I was already to buy a new gasser. My wife said "hey lets go over there". We went to the used side of the road. We went into the first coach we saw. It was beautiful inside. I couldn't believe that the kitchen was fancier than my home kitchen. The diesel really purred and I could go on and on. I went back and looked at that brand spanking new MH. I walked in and the cabinets were flimsy. The doors were hollow, the gas engine just didn't purr! I couldn't even come close to finding the same quality for what I could afford to spend. I've had the Beaver for 3 years now and I am very glad my wife wanted to cross to the other side of the road. I've never found a new coach that compared to mine that I could afford! 600K is a little much on a cops retirement even with a Navy Chief's to back it up. So bottom line if you've got the money and thats what you want, who cares what everybody else thinks. Have fun and enjoy it!
Well, you did say.... "2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH"...... did you not and that's one hell of a coach, so you're really not playing fair, as you probably know by now, with any new gas coach one might be looking at. Also with many of the DP's, as well.
I think the last Beaver made, was in 2010.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Things to remember when you buy new.

I hope you remember to ask them for all of the various manuals and paper work that goes along with your new Rig.?
There is a lot of little problem that come up as you Rambo down the road so you don't want to have go back to where you bought it to fine out about something you would have at you disposal .
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I totally understand buying new. All the cars, trucks, motorcycles and most of the boats I have owned were bought new in the past 40 years. I also keep my motor vehicles for a very long time and take good care of them. There is a good feeling about buying new and having something exactly the way you want with no compromises.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #36

Chuck a voice of great reason... Who knew?
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #37

The bit about window drains made me smile. My old relic had stopped up window drains. When they are stopped up it makes no difference whether you are level! They are going to leak almost as much if they were wide open! Any way there are crazy people who let the windows stop up (the PO) and there are crazy people who unstop them and clean up the carnage (me). I am hoping the leftover mold won't kill us, if we don't stay in it more than a couple of weeks at a time???
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Well, you did say.... "2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH"...... did you not and that's one hell of a coach, so you're really not playing fair, as you probably know by now, with any new gas coach one might be looking at. Also with many of the DP's, as well.
I think the last Beaver made, was in 2010.
I guess that was kind of my point. I bought the Beaver, which as you pointed out is a high end MH, for less than the new gasser would have cost me. I was set to buy the gasser. I have bought new cars and RVs for years. I like new but I'm just not rich enough to buy that high end a coach new. I bought a really nice coach for a lot less. If the OP is set on new I'm not going to try to talk him or his wife out of it. And because I don't know him I don't know his experience. I guess it was my way of saying don't sell the used coaches short. If you are like me and have Champagne tastes, you probably are not going to be happy with a Miller Light. Just saying!!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
I guess that was kind of my point. I bought the Beaver, which as you pointed out is a high end MH, for less than the new gasser would have cost me. I was set to buy the gasser. I have bought new cars and RVs for years. I like new but I'm just not rich enough to buy that high end a coach new. I bought a really nice coach for a lot less. If the OP is set on new I'm not going to try to talk him or his wife out of it. And because I don't know him I don't know his experience. I guess it was my way of saying don't sell the used coaches short. If you are like me and have Champagne tastes, you probably are not going to be happy with a Miller Light. Just saying!!
gemert,

I have never heard of a Beaver MH, of course I am pretty new at this, but doing some looking, those are some nice looking RVs. Gotta love that CAT engine
Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #40

As a card carrying crazy person im buying used. Unless the rig smells like a dead person. It wont bother me..although there is one thing that creeps me out..using a used toilet..lol
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #41

WyoFree, congrats on making the decision. You took the same journey we did, and bought new for a lot of the same reasons as we did. Like you I take care of my stuff, and keep them for a long time. In the end my wife wanted new, and like me didn't want to deal with anyone else's problems or lack of care. There's no right or wrong decision, just the one that works best for whoever is spending the money. I don't worry about the depreciation for a couple of reasons, I don't plan on selling it and if I were to get another MH, I would give it to my kids before I would let someone else buy it for less than it's worth. Good luck and keep us posted.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
As a card carrying crazy person im buying used. Unless the rig smells like a dead person. It wont bother me..although there is one thing that creeps me out..using a used toilet..lol
I change out the toilet and the mattress.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome