Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Throwing it out there...

My wife and I (mid 50's) had never owned an RV but have always wanted to have one and travel since we both like to travel via the open roads instead of flying..

We decided it was time to pull the chord and start our adventure living full time in the RV and traveling. We were very nervous, scared and excited because of not having any real experience

So we sold our home and bought a brand new 2015 Winnabego Tour 42HD in 2016. It was a year old model so we got a great deal and paid half of the MSRP price.

yes we have had our fair share of "bugs" to work through. It seemed like our first few months I spent more time in the shop getting things fixed than anything else. We got frustrated at times because it seemed that everytime we hit the road something would not work right.

7 months now and 18k miles later. All "bugs" (knock on wood) have been fixed and we love the lifestyle and freedom that it brings.

We jumped in with both feet and have no regrets on buying NEW.

Safe travels and awesome adventures to all
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I wish you luck and safe travel.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #59

WYO I am so happy for you. Have fun, be safe. ENJOY
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Thanks PackerPower, I didn't know you could join the forum with a support amount of $15.00 a year. Now that I know I'll be happy to join. I sent a PM to Andy R and as soon as he gets back to me I'm all in. Thanks for letting me know
Great WyoFree! Keep it coming, I really enjoy reading your posts
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #61

Our last six coaches have been new and we have been happy with all but one of them. Very few issues with any of them, except that one, and our current one is the best. There are models better than ours, but none more reliable and our dealer is only 45 miles away if I need them. Our son, on the other hand, has had a frustrating experience with his 2016 Mountain Aire. Over 40 things, some minor with others major, and three trips to the factory in the first 9 months. He's had enough and will be picking up his Newell in May. Built from the frame up to his specs, he is planning on a better experience. However, when we travel together, I'll have to stay back a mile or two, so as not to infringe on his space. , ,
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #62

Wow.
New vs Used
DP vs Gas
Certainly stirs up some activity and emotion.

I went new for many of the same reasons. I will also be keeping for a long while. I had a budget and stuck to it. And I know for sure I don't have a mountain of do do in my black tank.
Went through all the pains of the new coach needed all sorts of little things. But now I know exactly what was done to it and how to fix it. Little things like that are important to me. May not be important to others.
Buy what you like and more importantly like what you buy.
Well said Harry.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcretired View Post
Throwing it out there...

My wife and I (mid 50's) had never owned an RV but have always wanted to have one and travel since we both like to travel via the open roads instead of flying..

yes we have had our fair share of "bugs" to work through. It seemed like our first few months I spent more time in the shop getting things fixed than anything else.

7 months now and 18k miles later. All "bugs" (knock on wood) have been fixed and we love the lifestyle and freedom that it brings.

We jumped in with both feet and have no regrets on buying NEW.
akcretired, I think that's incredible to sell everything, buy a motorhome and then go full time non the less! And it seems if I'm correctly reading between the lines, you did it with little research and/or preparation? I envy you because I tend to be pretty deliberate and want to know that I know that I know before taking a big step, especially one as dramatic as you and your wife took! It's like me and so many others have said and I'll paraphrase here.. As the great philosopher Little Richard once said "Goodness Gracious Great Balls of fire"! Thanks for your post it fit nicely into the conversation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Our last six coaches have been new and we have been happy with all but one of them. Very few issues with any of them, except that one, and our current one is the best. There are models better than ours, but none more reliable and our dealer is only 45 miles away if I need them. Our son, on the other hand, has had a frustrating experience with his 2016 Mountain Aire. Over 40 things, some minor with others major, and three trips to the factory in the first 9 months. He's had enough and will be picking up his Newell in May. Built from the frame up to his specs, he is planning on a better experience. However, when we travel together, I'll have to stay back a mile or two, so as not to infringe on his space. , ,
There are those on the forum who will tell you about certain brands that are, shall we say, the "goodest of the goodest" and Newmar is one of them! Now before some become appaplectic and start gagging and search for your inhaler. I'm not trash talking Newmar because as far as I'm concerned they deserve the many accolades they get! But I personally believe coach builders go into the process wanting to build a good coach. Some do however tend to have a lot more problems than others. HOWEVER, it's also my belief if you take good care of your coach, whatever the brand, and get the things that needs fix-in fixed. You'll come out on the other side with a coach you're proud of. Yes, there are some lemons out there and it's terrible if you get one. Generally I think what I said holds! For any decenters I believe Elvis said it best "You Ain't nothin but a Houndog"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Wow.
I went new for many of the same reasons. I will also be keeping for a long while. I had a budget and stuck to it. And I know for sure I don't have a mountain of do do in my black tank.
Went through all the pains of the new coach needed all sorts of little things. But now I know exactly what was done to it and how to fix it. Little things like that are important to me. May not be important to others.
Buy what you like and more importantly like what you buy.
Well said Harry.
I especially like the "Well said Harry"! Computerguy has such wisdom and insight doesn't he? But he's right... Something not heard very often pertaining to computerguy. But here we like to give credit where credit is due. When he says "But now I know exactly what was done to it and how to fix it. Little things like that are important to me. May not be important to others." YES, YES & YES!!! Exactly the point!!! Unless you're the only one who ever owned the coach you don't, you can't know that! I started this thread saying the conversation is not about "New & Used" it's about personal preference and sure, a lot of other things enter into the equation like money, timing, location, knowledge and all that stuff. But this conversation is about "It's New, It's Mine and I know all about it! It's the very reason Clint Eastwood wrote the words to "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"! So don't you guys get UGLY because Clint and I happen to be on speaking terms. "Do you feel luck punk, do yah"! I love that line!

One last thing and I apologize because this post has become way longer than I expected? But here's the thing; When all of us started looking into RVing and especially this thing we call a motorhome. We ask such crazy questions, so crazy that so many who know better jump in and say "here's the answer you may want to consider"! So we learn, ask more questions, look at the links folks add and we learn!

SOOOOOO many times someone will chime in with "hey that questions been asked a hundred-million-billion times, you stupid or something"? And I hate that! Yah, the question was asked a hundred-million-billion times but not by you or me! And when it's answered is it answered the same way by the same people? No, Of Course Not! So each little piece of information is a little different and takes different directions. Many times I learn some terrific information that doesn't even pertain to the OP's question. The conversation may be about tires and in the conversation someone tells a story about how his towbar was binding and he couldn't release his TOAD! What??? Towbar binding, what's that about??? I'd never heard about that before? Now I know about it and know what to look for so that doesn't happen to me!

Come guys, lets just learn from each other and help each other even when someone starts a stupid thread that reads something like "Why I buy a "NEW" Class A Motorhome and don't judge as I'll not budge! In your responses I'll only ask you do as Elvis said and "Don't be Cruel"!

OK I'm done! Hey... All that cheering is quite unnecessary!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Hey Moose, on a serious note, how do you handle the water from the Dehumidifier? Many of us live in areas of high humidity and would use a Dehumidifier, especially when coach is sitting idle. So how do you handle the water generated?

We put ours in the shower stall, hook up the optional hose so it drains out the hose, and not into the tank. The grey tank holds a LOT of condensate!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
I always said I'd only buy new but the DW was on the side of used. Basically she wanted to save $$ and have the bugs worked out. It turns out that we ran in to a deal on a used unit, one that you just couldn't pass up. It was in great shape, passed inspection and didn't smell so we bought it. Now, 5 months later, the little things are starting to go, one after the other. The problem with a used unit is that you have to pay to get things fixed. I'd rather go new and get it in perfect shape for free.

We already started looking for the upgrade. It will be a few years out until we have worked out all of our issues and learn the right way to do things. But - it will definitely be new.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Come guys, lets just learn from each other and help each other even when someone starts a stupid thread that reads something like "Why I buy a "NEW" Class A Motorhome and don't judge as I'll not budge! In your responses I'll only ask you do as Elvis said and "Don't be Cruel"!

OK I'm done! Hey... All that cheering is quite unnecessary!
WyoFree, I couldn't agree more, and that's what really makes this forum so special. If I see a post that is repetitive, or one that I am not interested in, I simply don't waste my time reading it. I don't understand why some people get so annoyed and feel they need to control the conversation - get over it and move on. Take care and keep on posting - I have picked up a number of interesting nuggets from your "stupid threads".
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #67

Well said John, except for "my stupid threads" comment! I see no reason for you to tell the truth when a lie would be so much more pleasant!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #68

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
I always said I'd only buy new but the DW was on the side of used. Basically she wanted to save $$ and have the bugs worked out. It turns out that we ran in to a deal on a used unit, one that you just couldn't pass up. It was in great shape, passed inspection and didn't smell so we bought it. Now, 5 months later, the little things are starting to go, one after the other. The problem with a used unit is that you have to pay to get things fixed. I'd rather go new and get it in perfect shape for free.

We already started looking for the upgrade. It will be a few years out until we have worked out all of our issues and learn the right way to do things. But - it will definitely be new.
The only difference with new, is that you pay much much more ahead of time for getting things fixed and whether or not you'll be needing any repairs or not, since they never give you any money back. That's a long way from free and especially with just the cost of getting it off the lot. It's called depreciation and depreciation per mile is the largest expense with RV ownership, by far. What's even worse is when one buys a lesser coach because it better fits their budget.
As for having all these things that you payed for up front, in perfect shape, you're in for a rude awakening and a lot of extra time and aggravation. Least ways, with the money you have stowed away in the bank now, you can pick and choose and have a lot of options for any repairs that you might need, including the hiring of a neighborhood gear head.
Best listen to the wifey on this one, IMO....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #69
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First off. anyone telling you that they will have as many problems with a new coach as they will with an old worn out coach, is once again justifying there need to buy used because they couldn't afford new.

I don't care what you buy, just quit with the cheap shots about buying new.....be honest.

Currently, I'm looking for a pontoon boat. Having had boats in the past and knowing that I want one I can ram up on shore without damage, I'm looking for a good used one. In this situation, I want a used one because I just won't use it that often and intend to thrash it some. If I had an extra $30K around that I didn't need, I would buy a new one, but this time I will buy used. So my reasons for buying used are budget and use, not that buying new is wrong or depreciation was a factor. If someone will give me $30K, I'll by a brand spanking new one.

Here's a little statement that will piss some people off, but you can see how it feels to have the shoe on the other foot. Many preach that they buy used because they are financial wizards and save money on depreciation, making all those who buy new, stupid and wasteful. So lets look at it from the other side......those who buy used, made poor financial decisions throughout their lives, had a lousy job and didn't work hard enough to have a comfortable retirement. That doesn't sound so nice....does it, yet those who buy used continue to criticize those who buy new.

New or used.....DOESN'T matter. Buy what you can afford and quit criticizing the choice of others.....pretty simple concept!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #70

Harry, I hate to correct you but "Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire" was not from Little Richard but from Jerry Lee Lewis. I only know that because I have an older brother.

Tags
class a, motorhome