Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
First off. anyone telling you that they will have as many problems with a new coach as they will with an old worn out coach, is once again justifying there need to buy used because they couldn't afford new.
New or "old worn out" coach's are not the only two options available just like not all people choose to buy used because "they cannot afford new". Both statements seem to over simplify reality.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #72

Thanks Ed, I have older and younger brothers and there is nothing they love more than correcting me! Of course it happens so seldom!

Hey Ed, you told me once that you bought your coach NEW after being told "they didn't build a very good coach"! I know how the story goes, would you tell the rest of us?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Thanks Ed, I have older and younger brothers and there is nothing they love more than correcting me! Of course it happens so seldom!

Hey Ed, you told me once that you bought your coach NEW after being told "they didn't build a very good coach"! I know how the story goes, would you tell the rest of us?
You are correct in that recollection Harry. When we bought our Berkshire it was relatively soon after the company had been purchased by Berkshire Hathaway. As the decline of 2008 took its toll Forest River had gone down in quality and most did not have a very high opinion of the brand. We basically threw caution to the wind and bought it anyway. I have no regrets about the rig and the company that made it or the dealer that sold it to us. It has been a good RV and we have had many happy and carefree trips in it. The only reason we will probably not go back to Forest River is that they don't make a unit that fits our needs at this point in time.

Buying new is an option that we chose to take and one that we will take again. Buying used may result in getting a low cost gem or it may be buying the lemon that some other poor soul had dumped.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #74

Thanks Ed,

I thought your story would fit in well here! Not trying to say "do it this way" or "this is the right way". This is just a way that fit for you and me and maybe some others!

No wrong here, just options!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #75

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
New or "old worn out" coach's are not the only two options available just like not all people choose to buy used because "they cannot afford new". Both statements seem to over simplify reality.
Yeah and like, how many buy old and worn out. Old maybe and whatever old is, cuz if it isn't projected to stay good and last longer than I'd be wanting to buy it used, then I don't want it new either. There is something to be said about being .....tried and proven.....
With our purchase, I figure the CAT was just about broken in at 33K miles, like the drive train and since the interior smells and looks even newer than the exterior does, I fail to see what might be all worn out. I will fix what it needs and improve on it, as well, just like I would expect to do with any of them.
As for being able to buy new, no problem there, either. Just something I'm not gonna do, no matter what my net worth might be.
I mean if I was to go out and spend a 1/2 mil on one, it would still be used. I'd just be getting a lot more coach than a new one would be in that price range, is all.
As has been said, this discussion is not meant to criticize new or used RV buyers. It's only for discussion and personal preference, for those who might be having trouble making a decision. Just like reviewing the options for what path to take, when attempting repairs. I mean it is a forum, is it not?
Meanwhile, all ...new buyers.... out there, keep up the good work, as we need you badly.
Seriously!
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #76

And we, the new buyers, need the used buyers so that there is a market for our used coaches. No right or wrong in this discussion. All that matters is what works for each of us.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #77

Well said Ed...

I like the new stuff that comes today. The multiplex systems that run the coach. The ability to perform many functions through my iPhone. And the many changes that comes to the coach from these things.

The downside is I can become A test case for new systems and I get that. But it also means that I can follow the process and that's ok for me. I've always found if I'm reasonable to work with most will work reasonably with me! OK, not always but then again I don't remember when it wasn't so!

We have all benefited by a good blending of the young and the old. Yah I'm talking about you Ed!!!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #78

Quote:
First off. anyone telling you that they will have as many problems with a new coach as they will with an old worn out coach, is once again justifying there need to buy used because they couldn't afford new.

"tropical36"......If I gave you $350,000.00, to buy a coach, could you HONESTLY say that you would run out and buy an old coach with old equipment, holes in the walls from crap hung by others, smells and dents and many items in need of replacement in the NEAR future?
Well of course not and wouldn't even bother doing a walk through with these, let alone an inside and out, top and bottom inspection. Not only that, but once I go with check book in hand, we have it down to a vary narrow margin involving one particular model and it must pass some stringent tests, low price included. I mean it's always nice to have $10K or so extra in your pocket for something you might have missed or for what's not a deal breaker.
I seriously don't know what you've been looking at on the used market, but with the one we just bought, 6 months ago or so, fits more in the realm of being like brand new, rather than with what you're describing.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
The only difference with new, is that you pay much much more ahead of time for getting things fixed and whether or not you'll be needing any repairs or not, since they never give you any money back. That's a long way from free and especially with just the cost of getting it off the lot. It's called depreciation and depreciation per mile is the largest expense with RV ownership, by far. What's even worse is when one buys a lesser coach because it better fits their budget.
As for having all these things that you payed for up front, in perfect shape, you're in for a rude awakening and a lot of extra time and aggravation. Least ways, with the money you have stowed away in the bank now, you can pick and choose and have a lot of options for any repairs that you might need, including the hiring of a neighborhood gear head.
Best listen to the wifey on this one, IMO....
Since we bought this one, wifey wants new next time. We know what we want and what we can afford, so we will not be getting a lesser coach. (Well, it won't be the Prevost I was looking at but lets be real.) I know it cost more up front, I know all about depreciation, I know it wont be perfect, BUT - I don't have to worry about how the last person treated it, about what is in the tanks, about what mods were done, that hidden mold from the leak, etc.

I can treat it as it deserves to be treated from day one, make the mods I want. I got lucky with this one. The PO had all the service records so I know the engine and mostly everything else was maintained. I just don't want a unit where the PO says - O yeah, I changed the oil every 3K, and the filters,.....

As I said, my rig was a GREAT deal. We are learning with it. We've had a TT and a 5er before so we know the basics. We are learning the brand as well. I wouldn't want a unit where a newbie was learning and learned everything the hard way. Unless it was coming from someone I knew and trusted (about 5 people), it will be new.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
You are correct in that recollection Harry. When we bought our Berkshire it was relatively soon after the company had been purchased by Berkshire Hathaway. As the decline of 2008 took its toll Forest River had gone down in quality and most did not have a very high opinion of the brand. We basically threw caution to the wind and bought it anyway. I have no regrets about the rig and the company that made it or the dealer that sold it to us. It has been a good RV and we have had many happy and carefree trips in it. The only reason we will probably not go back to Forest River is that they don't make a unit that fits our needs at this point in time.

Buying new is an option that we chose to take and one that we will take again. Buying used may result in getting a low cost gem or it may be buying the lemon that some other poor soul had dumped.
Buying someone's lemon is my biggest concern about buying something used!!
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

I don't care what you buy, just quit with the cheap shots about buying new.....be honest.

Currently, I'm looking for a pontoon boat. Having had boats in the past and knowing that I want one I can ram up on shore without damage, I'm looking for a good used one. In this situation, I want a used one because I just won't use it that often and intend to thrash it some. If I had an extra $30K around that I didn't need, I would buy a new one, but this time I will buy used. So my reasons for buying used are budget and use, not that buying new is wrong or depreciation was a factor. If someone will give me $30K, I'll by a brand spanking new one.

Here's a little statement that will piss some people off, but you can see how it feels to have the shoe on the other foot. Many preach that they buy used because they are financial wizards and save money on depreciation, making all those who buy new, stupid and wasteful. So lets look at it from the other side......those who buy used, made poor financial decisions throughout their lives, had a lousy job and didn't work hard enough to have a comfortable retirement. That doesn't sound so nice....does it, yet those who buy used continue to criticize those who buy new.

New or used.....DOESN'T matter. Buy what you can afford and quit criticizing the choice of others.....pretty simple concept!
X2 Don, well said. What has always bothered me is that people who buy new don't put down those who buy used, as most of us don't really care and it is really always a personal choice. Like you said buy what you can afford or works best for you and be happy using it.

But a lot of those who buy used make snippy little comments about us who buy new, such as were are stupid and wasting our money, we're going to have big problems that need repaired, and to keep buying them new as they are just waiting to buy our used MH once we have all the "bugs" worked out.

Well if we were so "wasteful" with our money we would not be able to afford a new MH or the House we live in, and not really have to worry about budgeting. We have had very few issues, other than a few minor adjustments to work out. And they will be waiting a long time for my MH as it will not go one the market until I'm done(or my kids are) with it. I take great care of my stuff and have always gotten top dollar for them when trading in or re-selling, so they may get a great deal on a long used MH( with dated technology)based on what a brand new one sells for, but they will pay for what it is worth at the time. It won't be at a huge loss for me based on having it new to use from the beginning, not having any major issues with it, and knowing how it was taken care of and maintained.

My Brother in Law owns an RV dealership that specializes in refurbishing used MH and re-selling them. Even after the work was done(and they do great work), they were for the most part not near as good as new. We could have gotten a great deal from him on the best MH he had, but even he agreed we got a great deal on our New MH, and made a great choice.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #82

That's a very good point Mike when you say "What has always bothered me is that people who buy new don't put down those who buy used"!

I never really thought of it before but you're absolutely right! Folks buying used put down the new buyers all the time. And I don't remember a NEW buyer doing that to the USED buyer?

It can only mean that New buyers are nicer people than USED buyers and that's why we buy NEW... We want to be NICE! WoW what a concept. I think I learned about those old mean USED buyers in Psychology 101 under Passive-Agressive!

OK so we all agree, NEW buyers GOOD --- USED buyers BAD! I like it!!!

Oh, and what if there were no GOOD NEW buyers? That could only leave the others USED & CONFUSED wannabes! OMG solved the never ending question of NEW or USED!!!

You've read it first right here on good ol IRV2... WOW!!!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
That's a very good point Mike when you say "What has always bothered me is that people who buy new don't put down those who buy used"!

I never really thought of it before but you're absolutely right! Folks buying used put down the new buyers all the time. And I don't remember a NEW buyer doing that to the USED buyer?

It can only mean that New buyers are nicer people than USED buyers and that's why we buy NEW... We want to be NICE! WoW what a concept. I think I learned about those old mean USED buyers in Psychology 101 under Passive-Agressive!

OK so we all agree, NEW buyers GOOD --- USED buyers BAD! I like it!!!

Oh, and what if there were no GOOD NEW buyers? That could only leave the others USED & CONFUSED wannabes! OMG solved the never ending question of NEW or USED!!!

You've read it first right here on good ol IRV2... WOW!!!
Whether fact or fiction, you a funny guy, WyoFree!...
Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #84

Interesting thread, never knew there were so many opinions of people simply because of what they buy or how they buy. I bought mine new, but now it's used. What happens next I wonder?

Tags
class a, motorhome