Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a used buyer as I explained because of my champagne tastes! If I had an extra 600K laying around, I would definitely buy a new MH that fits my taste. Since I don't I buy used. I have never put down or envied anyone for their ability or non-ability to buy new. It's the way things are and always will be. We benefit or pay for our choices in life. I opted for the adventures of the Navy and being a police officer. I doubt if I would be happier rich but probably not with what I had to get rich! Darn my father for not giving me lots of money!! LOL Buy new, buy old just have fun!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #86

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Interesting thread, never knew there were so many opinions of people simply because of what they buy or how they buy. I bought mine new, but now it's used. What happens next I wonder?
As the OP first put it ..." There’s a good chance this thread will delight some and infuriate others! But it should make for some interesting discussion" ....
and the whole point of it, so that the undecided might be able to make a firm decision. Again it's a forum and not unlike all the different opinions on how to repair something, when to change out your tires and what brand to buy,...etc...etc....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
First off. anyone telling you that they will have as many problems with a new coach as they will with an old worn out coach, is once again justifying there need to buy used because they couldn't afford new.

I don't care what you buy, just quit with the cheap shots about buying new.....be honest.

Many preach that they buy used because they are financial wizards and save money on depreciation, making all those who buy new, stupid and wasteful. So lets look at it from the other side......those who buy used, made poor financial decisions throughout their lives, had a lousy job and didn't work hard enough to have a comfortable retirement. That doesn't sound so nice....does it, yet those who buy used continue to criticize those who buy new.
New or used.....DOESN'T matter. Buy what you can afford and quit criticizing the choice of others.....pretty simple concept!
Don, You seem to be using a mighty wide brush to paint a picture.

For my wife and I the decision to purchase used had many facets.

First, and in no particular order, moving from a TT to a Class, we weren't sure that the whole Motor Home idea would be the way we wanted to go.

Second: We wanted a coach, with less "fluff", that I could work on without having to carry around an electronics workshop to troubleshoot the simplest things.

Third: We didn't want to bother with DEF. (Kind of hard to find a new coach without DEF these days)

Fourth: Although not "rich", we aren't poor either, we own everything we have free and clear, we just have an aversion to paying other people interest, so our new coach had to be something we could pay cash for.

Fifth: Since we fully intended to USE the coach, never limiting our travels to be close to a Warranty repair or the Selling Dealer, the "benefit" of getting the coach repaired "under warranty" didn't really mean that much to us.

None of the reasons listed above were because we:
  • "made poor financial decisions throughout their lives",
  • or we "had a lousy job" (see below)
  • or we "didn't work hard enough to have a comfortable retirement."
Just for information, I served in the U.S. Army for 21 years and 16 days. It wasn't a "lousy job", although it had it's "lousy" moments" and I'd like to think that I did "work hard enough to have a comfortable retirement", especially during the numerous tours to far off, dusty, sandy locations away from my family for months or years on end, and with the added benefit of being shot at from time to time.

Yet we chose to purchase a Used coach instead of a New coach. That doesn't make us right or wrong, or people who choose to buy a New coach right or wrong, just different.

That doesn't sound so nice....does it, yet those who buy used continue to criticize those who buy new.

Here's the part where that wide brush I mentioned earlier comes into play again. I agree there are a vocal minority who purchased used for whatever reason who seem to criticize some of those who purchase new, but they don't speak for everyone, and that doesn't mean that all the other people who choose to purchase used are not being "honest".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2 Don, well said. What has always bothered me is that people who buy new don't put down those who buy used, as most of us don't really care and it is really always a personal choice. Like you said buy what you can afford or works best for you and be happy using it.

But a lot of those who buy used make snippy little comments about us who buy new, such as were are stupid and wasting our money, we're going to have big problems that need repaired, and to keep buying them new as they are just waiting to buy our used MH once we have all the "bugs" worked out.
Mike, it may just be me, but this thread appears to show several examples of people doing JUST THAT, by which I mean people who buy new putting down people who buy used!

New or used, it doesn't mean either is good, or bad, just different. Attributing behind the scenes reasons for all buyers who buy new OR who buy used is just plain silly.

Celebrate the fact that similar people choose to avail themselves of the RV lifestyle, and leave the petty squabbles over who has the best toy aside.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
There’s a good chance this thread will delight some and infuriate others! But it should make for some interesting discussion.

For those who don’t know my story, sordid as it is. I first started looking for used coaches as the prevailing wisdom is “you get the best bang for the buck buying used”! And this thread is not to discuss or dispute that wisdom.

My wife started me in the NEW coach direction after she realized I was, in her words “serious about this Motorhome Thing”! She said “if you expect me to come along you buy a NEW coach.” Her reasons I’ll not bore you with, but her seriousness I didn't doubt for a moment. Although she didn’t say it at the time she told me later she knows how I take care of things! I’m the last guy on the forum to discuss who’s the smartest between sexes? All I’ll say in our defense guys, is we don’t have a single thing that zips up the back!

OK, let me just say it! Some people are a CRAZY PERSON! They’ll keep poking themselves in the eye and cannot figure out why their eye hurts? And that very same CRAZY PERSON is out there driving a Class A Motorhome. Some may even be right here on the forum giving there opinions, many as facts, and you guessed it folks their a CRAZY PERSON! In full disclosure when crazy people get together I'm always included in the roll-call! So if you keep reading you’re very own sanity may well be called into question.

So what the heck are you talking about Harry?

I was reading a thread not long ago about leveling jacks and what folks recommended when they’re not using the coach for awhile. They covered using jacks to save the tires, not using jacks, storage on grass, gravel, sand, blacktop, concrete, planks, blocks, pads, moon rocks and the hindquarters of an Australian Werewolf! Admittedly I was on the side of the Werewolf. I mean come on, who'd have a coach without a Cross, Garlic and Wolfsbane?

Point being, there was little conversation about the importance of “HAVING A LEVEL COACH”. I’m on the 3rd reading of the “2017 Coachman RV Class A Diesel” Owners Manual”. Maybe at this point some of you are thinking “You what? Who’s the CRAZY PERSON now”?

My wife was absolutely right “I need to buy a NEW COACH”! And even for a little reason like the one that follows...

In the manual under “Living Quarters: Condensation and Humidity” there’s a NOTE and here is what it says;

NOTE:
When it rains, water may collect in the bottom of the win- dow frame and drain out the weep holes, made for that purpose. If your RV is not level, the water may not drain out properly. This could cause water damage to the win- dow or wall and could breed mold due to condensation.

Even a little thing like this can effect a coach, but how many of those little things did the other coach owner not know about because they didn’t read the manual? You can’t ask a question if you don’t know the question to ask right?

I want to make my own mistakes and correct them as needed and learn as I go and look forward to your help along the way. I’m getting into this Class A motorhome Diesel Pusher thing with all the excitement and wonder of a little kid. Something my wife says is my most natural state, and on that my DW is right again!

What a thing to be able to travel across this great country of ours in our own home! WoW, is that great or what?

And my DW was very smart on this one! And for you guys, you’re the best! Even though some are a "CRAZY PERSON"

Harry

Pictures we want pictures. Sounds like you will have a great time with DW.
I bought a vintage 1987 coach. Great shape low miles but DW says she will never set foot in it. I'm going to pull small trailer with motorcycle and hopefully have fun by myself. DW wants to fly. Anyone else have my problem.
WildFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #89

Gosh WildFitzy, your DW said she'd go with me!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #90

Good one. I laughed.
WildFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #91

Mike, it may just be me, but this thread appears to show several examples of people doing JUST THAT, by which I mean people who buy new putting down people who buy used!

New or used, it doesn't mean either is good, or bad, just different. Attributing behind the scenes reasons for all buyers who buy new OR who buy used is just plain silly.

Celebrate the fact that similar people choose to avail themselves of the RV lifestyle, and leave the petty squabbles over who has the best toy aside.[/QUOTE]

I think what is being said basically by Dutch Star Don and some others including me, is that if you look back over the numerous threads on the New vs Used topics, the Used buyers start making some pretty snide remarks about how New buyers are wasting their money, or buying problem MH's that they will have to work the bugs out on, or the worst is "keep buying them so us used buyers can get a good deal on your MH". It gets old and of course at some point the New buyers are going to respond, and of course the Used buyers will be offended. But if you are honest with yourselves, it is usually not the New buyers who start with the snide remarks. I believe Dutch Star Don's comment was tongue in cheek to make a point, although it may be the reality in some cases. Nobody needs to justify, with snide remarks or otherwise, what they buy to anybody but themselves, and of course the Dear Wife.

In the end it really doesn't make any difference what any of us buy as long as what we buy works best for whoever is buying it. I have no doubt that some who bought used, have MH's of a higher build than mine. But what worked best for us at the time was what we bought. And I agree we should all celebrate the hobby we have chosen and no matter what you have we all get to enjoy the great outdoors in style, that really isn't camping so to speak.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post

Celebrate the fact that similar people choose to avail themselves of the RV lifestyle, and leave the petty squabbles over who has the best toy aside.

I think what is being said basically by Dutch Star Don and some others including me, is that if you look back over the numerous threads on the New vs Used topics, the Used buyers start making some pretty snide remarks about how New buyers are wasting their money, or buying problem MH's that they will have to work the bugs out on, or the worst is "keep buying them so us used buyers can get a good deal on your MH". It gets old and of course at some point the New buyers are going to respond, and of course the Used buyers will be offended. But if you are honest with yourselves, it is usually not the New buyers who start with the snide remarks. I believe Dutch Star Don's comment was tongue in cheek to make a point, although it may be the reality in some cases. Nobody needs to justify, with snide remarks or otherwise, what they buy to anybody but themselves, and of course the Dear Wife.

In the end it really doesn't make any difference what any of us buy as long as what we buy works best for whoever is buying it. I have no doubt that some who bought used, have MH's of a higher build than mine. But what worked best for us at the time was what we bought. And I agree we should all celebrate the hobby we have chosen and no matter what you have we all get to enjoy the great outdoors in style, that really isn't camping so to speak.[/QUOTE]

Mike & Don,

I apologize if my response came off kind of harsh. I may have been reading more into some of the posts than was there. Bottom line, new or used, whatever works is good.

We tend to try a LOT of different things, RV's, trawlers, etc, so by buying used ourselves, we can get into much more trouble than if we narrowed our focus financially by buying new! Works for us. Perhaps not for others. Most important is to do what works, and help others along the way when they have questions, regardless of their personal choices!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #93

At least we can all agree on what I said earlier;

OK so we all agree, NEW buyers GOOD --- USED buyers BAD!

And here's another truth for us to tuck away in our brains... If we needed help there's not a one of us who wouldn't come-a-runnin to help!!!

Of course if your coach is USED I'd want to make sure you bring your DW along because you're just too BAD on your own!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #94

Scot, no worries, the way I look at is that we are all in this together, new/used, no matter which Brand/Class of MH or type of RV. We all have the same hobby in common, and we're all here to help each other. And of course being the people we are we all have our opinions, and that's what makes it all the better.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My "new to us" 2004 Itasca has only 26K miles, is in "like new" condition, and everything works perfectly. And deciding to purchase used certainly doesn't mean we made poor decisions (paying 1/4 of the cost of new for used RVs has allowed me to continuously RV with my family for over 30 years now, with plenty of toys i.e. M/Cs, ATVs, watercraft, etc), nor do I have a bad job (I'm an Electrical Engineer making 6 figures; I have not retired yet, but will be able to do so with a perfectly acceptable comfort level), nor do I not work hard enough (not even going to go there...).

I don't remember ever seeing snippy comments here that "new" buyers are "stupid and wasting their money". And as for the idea that "new" buyers are great because it provides "used" buyers with units to purchase, that is simply fact. Anyone who buys new because they think there will be no problems/breakdowns are fooling only themselves. Anyone who buys used because they think that there will be no problems/breakdowns are fooling only themselves.

There are a few hard truths, on both sides, whether or not anyone wants to acknowledge them. Among those truths in the "new" camp is that you WILL take a major hit on depreciation buying new; that goes without saying. And with the state of RV manufacturing today, you will likely have to return to the dealer at least once for corrective warranty issues. On the "used" side, while the initial lack of quality control issues will likely have been sorted out by the original owner, you are still subject to the unknown use/misuse of the unit by prior owners and the lack of any warranty.

BTW, I have had exactly "2" problems with my so-called "worn out" used coach in the 8 months that I have owned it; a loose fuse in the leveling system and a leaking joint in the plumbing (both easily fixed without cost), while our good friends have had their brand new unit back to the dealership at least 3 times for multiple things that should never have been problems in the first place. We are BOTH happy with our RV purchase decisions, and happily camp together without resorting to insults or verbal attacks. What a concept, eh?
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #96

This is all news to me! That there is an ongoing battle over New and use is crazy. I don't get it frankly! You buy a new coach because you want too. You buy a used coach for the same reason so where's the disagreement?

Let's all sit around the campfire and sing a few bars of "Love me Tender". Here I'll start; ok, let me hit a couple of those bars first... I hate when the dogs start howling!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
This is all news to me! That there is an ongoing battle over New and use is crazy. I don't get it frankly! You buy a new coach because you want too. You buy a used coach for the same reason so where's the disagreement?

Let's all sit around the campfire and sing a few bars of "Love me Tender". Here I'll start; ok, let me hit a couple of those bars first... I hate when the dogs start howling!

I thought it was supposed to be either "Koombaya" or "Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore" for campfire hand holding. I guess "Love Me Tender" works unless you had the displeasure to see that awful movie by the same name!

Reality is that there is no right or wrong answer for new versus used. What works for one may not work for another so no need to snarl and growl but just buy what you want and enjoy. We all can justify what we do in our own minds which is all that we need to......well, with the possible exception of our wives.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #98

Good points all Ed.

I was going for "Koombaya" but didn't know how to spell it! That Koom part gets me every time.

You seem to know your music, were you a DJ in another life?

Tags
class a, motorhome