Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Good points all Ed.

I was going for "Koombaya" but didn't know how to spell it! That Koom part gets me every time.

You seem to know your music, were you a DJ in another life?
No DJ experience Harry, just always had my ear glued to a "portable" radio powered by what seemed like a 10 pound dry cell battery. Oh yes, the radio was "new" when I bought it.

Biggies for me were WKBW, WBZ, WABC, and WCFL. In college it was WTOL and CKLW in Windsor, ON. Way off topic but I'm going to guess those call letters will stir some memories in some folks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #100

I am with the OP. Neither my wife nor I wanted someone else's living quarters.. I understand the reasons to buy used, but I'm glad I didn't. I've had to work through the initial problems, do the cheap handling fix, 5-star tune it, pull out the loveseat, change all of the halogen bulbs to LED, make new window surrounds, cut custom mats, get a custom cut tempur-pedic mattress, and build tables and shelves just to scratch the surface.. but this thing is ours and we've made it that way over time. To each their own. Enjoy it either way!
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #101
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Scot"....you didn't offend me. I've been on this forum for over ten years. Many here know I will go out of my way to help people, including long conversations on the phone or sending them extra stuff that I have.

BUT.......since I have been here so long, I've also heard the put downs of people over and over again. No wide brush being used. My statement only fits those making the snide remarks.

I didn't inherit my money or win a lottery. I worked full time from 17 years old to 21 years old as a mechanic. 21 years old to 55 years old as Deputy Sheriff. In between, I worked side jobs (hard labor) to finance my boats and RV's. So, I'm not a rich guy, but I was careful with my money, which allowed me to buy new boats and RV's, versus used. I'm sure I would have at LEAST twice the money I do now, if I bought half the RV's and cars in my life used, but that wasn't what I wanted to do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #102

I just got what I think is very good news... I just found out that the 2017 Coachmen SportsCoach has just been awarded one of the TOP 5 finalist for the RV Business 2017 Top RV Debut! I think I made a good choice, the new 2017.5 is a honey!

If anyone sees the actual video of the selection I'd appreciate you posting a link. There's one on the front page of RV Review but it doesn't show their actual selections.

I'm pretty excited, I've always thought the SportsCoach is a very special coach and its nice to see the professionals think so too!

Way To Go Harry On Your First Motorhome!

It's ok to cheer myself on right?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #103

I just read your post Don, well said! And like you I've worked all my life but I never had to worry about what I'd become. I knew I can always server as a pitiful example!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Don, You seem to be using a mighty wide brush to paint a picture.

For my wife and I the decision to purchase used had many facets.

First, and in no particular order, moving from a TT to a Class, we weren't sure that the whole Motor Home idea would be the way we wanted to go.

Second: We wanted a coach, with less "fluff", that I could work on without having to carry around an electronics workshop to troubleshoot the simplest things.

Third: We didn't want to bother with DEF. (Kind of hard to find a new coach without DEF these days)

Fourth: Although not "rich", we aren't poor either, we own everything we have free and clear, we just have an aversion to paying other people interest, so our new coach had to be something we could pay cash for.

Fifth: Since we fully intended to USE the coach, never limiting our travels to be close to a Warranty repair or the Selling Dealer, the "benefit" of getting the coach repaired "under warranty" didn't really mean that much to us.

None of the reasons listed above were because we:
  • "made poor financial decisions throughout their lives",
  • or we "had a lousy job" (see below)
  • or we "didn't work hard enough to have a comfortable retirement."
Just for information, I served in the U.S. Army for 21 years and 16 days. It wasn't a "lousy job", although it had it's "lousy" moments" and I'd like to think that I did "work hard enough to have a comfortable retirement", especially during the numerous tours to far off, dusty, sandy locations away from my family for months or years on end, and with the added benefit of being shot at from time to time.

Yet we chose to purchase a Used coach instead of a New coach. That doesn't make us right or wrong, or people who choose to buy a New coach right or wrong, just different.

That doesn't sound so nice....does it, yet those who buy used continue to criticize those who buy new.

Here's the part where that wide brush I mentioned earlier comes into play again. I agree there are a vocal minority who purchased used for whatever reason who seem to criticize some of those who purchase new, but they don't speak for everyone, and that doesn't mean that all the other people who choose to purchase used are not being "honest".

Mike, it may just be me, but this thread appears to show several examples of people doing JUST THAT, by which I mean people who buy new putting down people who buy used!

New or used, it doesn't mean either is good, or bad, just different. Attributing behind the scenes reasons for all buyers who buy new OR who buy used is just plain silly.

Celebrate the fact that similar people choose to avail themselves of the RV lifestyle, and leave the petty squabbles over who has the best toy aside.
Scot that is very well written and spot on; I'm getting a kick out of this thread, there are just as many people buying new that can't afford it as there are people buying used because they can't afford new! It truly is a matter of what your comfortable with! Regards Marc
Old 01-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #105

Quote:
I just got what I think is very good news... I just found out that the 2017 Coachmen SportsCoach has just been awarded one of the TOP 5 finalist for the RV Business 2017 Top RV Debut! I think I made a good choice, the new 2017.5 is a honey!

If anyone sees the actual video of the selection I'd appreciate you posting a link. There's one on the front page of RV Review but it doesn't show their actual selections.

I'm pretty excited, I've always thought the SportsCoach is a very special coach and its nice to see the professionals think so too!

Way To Go Harry On Your First Motorhome!

It's ok to cheer myself on right?
Careful, you'll pull a muscle patting yourself on the back,,,,
Old 01-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #106

I'm keeping up a strict exercise schedule!
Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #107

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Without reading 8 pages of posts...

I am on MH #3, all bought new. #1 we kept for about 2 years, traded it back to the dealer for #2, kept that of about 7 years and traded it in for #3. We wanted to have as few uncovered surprises as possible. Having bought and sold a number of homes, ther are always systems that need to be repaired or replaced and then there are the items that had the previous owner simply not screwed around with would have been great, but are now a problem and let's not discuss the quality of owner 'improvements' that some people make. In a S&B home most of this is fairly simple to get to, to access and to repair. Stick it all into a MH and not so much. I didn't want to be trying to chase poor wiring or plumbing fixes or broken obsolete mechanicals. maybe 30 years ago, but now iI really don't want to be stuck somewhere out past West Podunk with a broken, non-repairable, non-replaceable thing-a-ma-jig. New I have a number of years of parts availability, no owner repairs that I didn't make.

Can I have issues? Certainly and we have, but none major. I like the peace of mind.
JimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #108

Hi Jim,

I'm surprised no one told you that you can't make the 107th post without reading the other 106. On post number 110 there's a test and its a combination of pass-fail and being graded on the curve!

It comes down to what you said your last sentence doesn't it!

"Can I have issues? Certainly and we have, but none major. I like the peace of mind."

I'm not even happy that my coach has to be driven from the coach builder to the dealer! To me great comfort comes from knowing the coach is unique to me. Knowing that anything that was done to the coach that was really dumb is something I did and know about. It's a me thing that really doesn't necessarily even translate to a New or Used conversation.

It's like your first kiss. I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #109

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Jim,

I'm surprised no one told you that you can't make the 107th post without reading the other 106. On post number 110 there's a test and its a combination of pass-fail and being graded on the curve!

It comes down to what you said your last sentence doesn't it!

"Can I have issues? Certainly and we have, but none major. I like the peace of mind."

I'm not even happy that my coach has to be driven from the coach builder to the dealer! To me great comfort comes from knowing the coach is unique to me. Knowing that anything that was done to the coach that was really dumb is something I did and know about. It's a me thing that really doesn't necessarily even translate to a New or Used conversation.

It's like your first kiss. I'm sorry, I have no idea what that means!
You should go live at the factory while they build it. You might get a part time job and help build your coach. What better way to make it YOUR'S. Then you could be the one that drives it off the end of the line. Unless you do that it will never truly be YOUR COACH.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #110

Hey Bill, you caught me there as working at the factory was part of my master plan. Two problems though, 1. Whatever gets in my hand becomes a hammer and 2. I'm too good lookin and would become a distraction!

There are some coach builders as you know where you can pick the coach up but Coachmen's not one of em! I wish they did because I'd be all over it...
Old 01-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #111

OKAY the OP is way different but that is a good thing most times.
I too now own a new unit but we have owned gently used in the past.

No wrong choice just what works for you at the time one is ready to purchase. I do not have any mental hang ups over someone else having owned my Motor Home or Brick and Mortar before me.

If you know how to deep clean or can hire someone that can do it for you, is all someone needs to start making it their own.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I heare some complain about the used coaches have a different smell and don't smell like your own home. I have the perfect solution. Take a big frying pan and cook up a big batch of onion, leeks, Cabbage and peppers. That ought to make it smell like home.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome