Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Why I buy a “NEW” Class A Motorhome! And don’t judge as I’ll not budge!

There’s a good chance this thread will delight some and infuriate others! But it should make for some interesting discussion.

For those who don’t know my story, sordid as it is. I first started looking for used coaches as the prevailing wisdom is “you get the best bang for the buck buying used”! And this thread is not to discuss or dispute that wisdom.

My wife started me in the NEW coach direction after she realized I was, in her words “serious about this Motorhome Thing”! She said “if you expect me to come along you buy a NEW coach.” Her reasons I’ll not bore you with, but her seriousness I didn't doubt for a moment. Although she didn’t say it at the time she told me later she knows how I take care of things! I’m the last guy on the forum to discuss who’s the smartest between sexes? All I’ll say in our defense guys, is we don’t have a single thing that zips up the back!

OK, let me just say it! Some people are a CRAZY PERSON! They’ll keep poking themselves in the eye and cannot figure out why their eye hurts? And that very same CRAZY PERSON is out there driving a Class A Motorhome. Some may even be right here on the forum giving there opinions, many as facts, and you guessed it folks their a CRAZY PERSON! In full disclosure when crazy people get together I'm always included in the roll-call! So if you keep reading you’re very own sanity may well be called into question.

So what the heck are you talking about Harry?

I was reading a thread not long ago about leveling jacks and what folks recommended when they’re not using the coach for awhile. They covered using jacks to save the tires, not using jacks, storage on grass, gravel, sand, blacktop, concrete, planks, blocks, pads, moon rocks and the hindquarters of an Australian Werewolf! Admittedly I was on the side of the Werewolf. I mean come on, who'd have a coach without a Cross, Garlic and Wolfsbane?

Point being, there was little conversation about the importance of “HAVING A LEVEL COACH”. I’m on the 3rd reading of the “2017 Coachman RV Class A Diesel” Owners Manual”. Maybe at this point some of you are thinking “You what? Who’s the CRAZY PERSON now”?

My wife was absolutely right “I need to buy a NEW COACH”! And even for a little reason like the one that follows...

In the manual under “Living Quarters: Condensation and Humidity” there’s a NOTE and here is what it says;

NOTE:
When it rains, water may collect in the bottom of the win- dow frame and drain out the weep holes, made for that purpose. If your RV is not level, the water may not drain out properly. This could cause water damage to the win- dow or wall and could breed mold due to condensation.

Even a little thing like this can effect a coach, but how many of those little things did the other coach owner not know about because they didn’t read the manual? You can’t ask a question if you don’t know the question to ask right?

I want to make my own mistakes and correct them as needed and learn as I go and look forward to your help along the way. I’m getting into this Class A motorhome Diesel Pusher thing with all the excitement and wonder of a little kid. Something my wife says is my most natural state, and on that my DW is right again!

What a thing to be able to travel across this great country of ours in our own home! WoW, is that great or what?

And my DW was very smart on this one! And for you guys, you’re the best! Even though some are a "CRAZY PERSON"

Harry
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

Word!
Old 01-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

Wow, wish I could write as well as you.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #4

Thumbs up Buy new or used

I agree I looked at buying used diesel pusher. Looked at a bunch and they all smelled to me. I decided then to buy a new gas coach and give it my own smell.
Streetrod37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #5

Hey Streetrod37, How smelly have you gotten it!

And thank you Becks, a very nice compliment!
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
The way I see it is that if nobody buys new coaches, we will run out of used ones. Enjoy your ride!
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #7

Buy what you want & don't look back. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure what "reading the manual" has to do with new vs used, but hey; whatever floats your boat! My 12 year old Itasca that we just purchased 6 months ago has all of the manuals in it. Additionally, whatever might've been missing is easily available online, so...

Actually, while I would never purchase a new RV (I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit and work out the inevitable "new coach" bugs and warranty headaches), I'm certainly glad that there are people like you who DO buy new; that provides people like me with a steady stream of nice used RVs!
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

If you can afford it and not go CRAZY over the new coach bugs, then by all means go for it.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #10

Well,
It's like anything else in this world, everyone's got make themselves happy. Money is no object to many. And it's a serious object to others. Some folks don't know how to turn a wrench. Others were born with them. Some don't like or, can't comprehend what "potential" possible treatment a "used" coach might have endured or, what LACK OF maintenance might have provoked a pending condition, maybe serious. This is one of those things that is surely individual.

We've bought many, many used cars and trucks in a 40-50 year span. We've purchased ONLY used motor homes, four of them, in a 30 year period. Most of those purchases, cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, etc. have turned out really well, with minimal immediate repairs, adjustments, alterations needed.

We've also purchased a VERY few new cars and trucks. While NEW, some of them had to return for warranty repairs in as little as the day after purchase.

So, the point is, if one want's and can afford, NEW, that is, ANYTHING new, Motor homes included, well, go for it. It's your money and, unlike the James Bond film "You only live Twice", us normal humans only live one time so, enjoy what you like and makes you happy.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Not sure what "reading the manual" has to do with new vs used, but hey; whatever floats your boat!
The point is that people don't [moderator edit], so they don't take proper care of the unit, which causes problems, and those problems are passed on to the 2nd owner

I totally get it and my wife is in that "get new" mind set too. I like the idea of ordering from factory so I get exactly what I want and not have to make any concessions , decide what is important and what I can live within, etc. (cost implications for each decision aside)

We will see once we are ready to pull the trigger
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
The way I see it is that if nobody buys new coaches, we will run out of used ones. Enjoy your ride!
You got that right and have come to look at it, the same as I do the lottery, for keeping my taxes down a bit. In other words, let others pay this voluntary tax of sorts, if they like.
Besides, I really wouldn't want to be spending the time and aggravation of having to visit a dealership, so much in that first year or two and with a warranty, I would be be compelled to do so. In fact I don't want any part of the dealer experience, if I can help it, except for possibly buying the thing on consignment.
The there's the financial beating that one takes for just getting it off the lot and one that I can't get turned around in my head.
Of all the vehicles I had in my life time and there have been many, I've only bought one new from a dealer friend and neighbor at his cost and shouldn't have bought that one either, even though I kept it for 18yrs and pretty much got my money's worth out of it.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad W View Post
The point is that people don't[moderator edit], so they don't take proper care of the unit, which causes problems, and those problems are passed on to the 2nd owner

I totally get it and my wife is in that "get new" mind set too. I like the idea of ordering from factory so I get exactly what I want and not have to make any concessions , decide what is important and what I can live within, etc. (cost implications for each decision aside)

We will see once we are ready to pull the trigger
You haven't said whether or not you have a coach now or if you've ever owned one. If not ever, you might be in for a rude awakening, if you think new comes without it's problems and one can sometimes count on the original owner to get it all straightened out and taken care of it for them.
With us and our present coach, buying used left a good $250K in the bank for taking care of all these problems that were supposedly passed on to us by the previous owner and in this case the 2nd. Still standing by for this onslaught, but have yet to realize it and have pretty much taken care of all the little things, so might just have to spend all that money elsewhere.....lol. Meanwhile, most who see it, inside and out, think it's new, from the looks of it. Even smells that way to an extent and with 33K miles on the ticker, when we got it, the sitting around was it's worst enemy.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Actually, my point was that there are those that buy used and those that buy new. Neither of them are wrong.

As far as the so-called new coach bugs....yes, you read about them on the forums, but that certainly doesn't mean every new coach sold is riddled with problems. Just that nobody makes posts about not having problems.

Financial beating? Yes, there's depreciation, but if you keep it for a long period of time, get plenty of use out of the purchase, and enjoy the ownership -- so what? It's a rare case when one makes a financial gain from an RV purchase.

I say, enjoy what you buy...whether it's new off the lot or a gently used coach or a beater. There's a coach out there for all of us. Your needs and my needs are probably not the same....why should our decisions be the same?

Pics of your new coach?
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome