Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 04:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
Well Newmar brought back a front engine diesel so maybe someone else will bring back a gas pusher.

Why not have air suspension and/or air brakes on gassers too?

You would be WAY too close to the price of a base DP.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 04:42 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

If the engine were the only difference, gas pushers might be in demand. After all, the cost differential of gas vs diesel engine is substantial, at least $5k. And if diesel engines were a sufficient advantage by themselves, front diesel (aka FRED) chassis would also be a big seller. Neither is the case. Buyers with more money to spend want the whole nine yards, a more robust chassis with a big GVWR, air suspension & brakes, and a rear engine for quiet and smooth power. Not to mention the outstanding Allison 3000/4000 transmissions. When you put that whole package together, the extra cost of the diesel becomes a modest part of the whole thing. May as well go for the gold...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:48 PM   #17

I have never understood why they haven't had diesels in the econoline chassis on the class Bs.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:01 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 80,000 miles on my UFO and it has never over heated. I agree with Ed and Lash, demise of the GM 8.1 killed the best gas chassis ever built.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:42 PM   #19

The rear engine gas pusher builders were so close to getting it right. John Deere failed to install the correct engine cooling fan on the 460s. The fan needed to blow through the radiator, but they left the original sucking (pun intended) fan on and created a cooling problem.
Work Horse did change the direction of the engine cooling fan but failed to install the reverse thrust water pump bearings. Water pump bearings are designed to handle some lateral thrust, either for or aft, depending on the fan direction. Thus water pump failure that they blamed on an over aggressive fan clutch.

Richard
Old 05-31-2021, 07:11 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
The rear engine gas pusher builders were so close to getting it right. John Deere failed to install the correct engine cooling fan on the 460s. The fan needed to blow through the radiator, but they left the original sucking (pun intended) fan on and created a cooling problem.
Work Horse did change the direction of the engine cooling fan but failed to install the reverse thrust water pump bearings. Water pump bearings are designed to handle some lateral thrust, either for or aft, depending on the fan direction. Thus water pump failure that they blamed on an over aggressive fan clutch.

Richard
Then why did they replace the Fan Clutch Assembly and NOT the water pump? Where did you get this info?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:03 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think there is some wrong info being posted here, again. My MH, which I bought new, runs cool, has never run warm even when climbing at 7 percent up route 89 or I 77 in low gear to where I live in the summer. I can't hear the engine most of the time unless my rear mike is on, and when using the cruise control my coach obviously climbs faster than the dps that I pass. The WH recall was caused by a faulty FCA heat sensing problem, wrong viscosity of the oil in it. This caused the FCA to run all the time and in very few cases it failed. That problem was addressed years ago and I have not heard of any owners having a problem since and I keep up with it. After 12 years, I know that this is the chassis I will drive until I don't care to drive a MH at all anymore.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:39 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would like to add, tongue in cheek, that my UFO has never, unlike some Ford gassers in the past, thrown sparkplugs out of the engine block while going down the road.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:09 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Economics is the reason why.

Keep in mind the dominate new gas class A buyer is looking for their first rig and might not have the experience or knowledge to look past the added cost. Give them identical floor plans but with different chassis configuration and 9 times out of 10 they will go with the lowest cost version which at the current time is the front gas.

Plus builders/dealers have have a very low risk tolerance to major changes and the fear of building/selling something that could end up becoming a dealer's lot queen. If a rear engine gas, or a front engine diesel, cost more than a front gas it's going to be difficult to sell to a prospective buyer who might not understand or realize the advantages of the different configuration.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
I’d agree that its most likely economics. The ford RV chassis is also their workhorse commercial chassis and that market is looking to haul & carry. I believe (but don’t know) that it’s the bigger piece of the pie for Ford. Having the engine in the back wouldn’t work very well for the commercial segment.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
I’d agree that its most likely economics. The ford RV chassis is also their workhorse commercial chassis and that market is looking to haul & carry. I believe (but don’t know) that it’s the bigger piece of the pie for Ford. Having the engine in the back wouldn’t work very well for the commercial segment.

Please note the F53 is a Motorhome chassis and the F59 is the commercial version.

"For impressive horsepower and torque, premium features and components, rely on Ford’s capable stripped chassis, the F-53 motorhome chassis and F-59 commercial stripped chassis."

Richard
Old 06-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
I’d agree that its most likely economics. The ford RV chassis is also their workhorse commercial chassis ......
Sorry, but only a Workhorse built chassis should be called a "workhorse"

I understand what you meant, though.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Sorry, but only a Workhorse built chassis should be called a "workhorse"

I understand what you meant, though.
Ditto.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPengineer View Post
With the cost to jump from gas to diesel drivetrains, diesel’s present challenges with emission system’s control reliability/longevity (mainly DEF heads). and gasoline’s cheaper cost (compared to diesel) in the marketplace, why don’t manufactures offer mid line class A coaches with gasoline drive trains in the rear of the coach? Wound give owners the quietness of a diesel pusher at a lower cost.

It would greatly increase the price point on a gassers because of the need to custom make a new chassis when now they use a generic truck box chassis.

Tags
gas