Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2021, 09:16 AM   #1

Question Why not gasoline pushers?

With the cost to jump from gas to diesel drivetrains, diesel’s present challenges with emission system’s control reliability/longevity (mainly DEF heads). and gasoline’s cheaper cost (compared to diesel) in the marketplace, why don’t manufactures offer mid line class A coaches with gasoline drive trains in the rear of the coach? Wound give owners the quietness of a diesel pusher at a lower cost.
FPengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #2

Was tried one time and did not go over well.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:21 AM   #3

They have in the past, perhaps one of them is now, I haven't checked. Dunno why they aren't very popular but that's why manufacturers aren't offering them most likely. Because they aren't very popular.

If there were more demand, someone would produce it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

They used to offer a gas pusher but they were prone to run hot ! Seems like Holiday Rambler built the last ones
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:25 AM   #5

Been done at least two different times that I know of.

Have seen old Foretravels that were OREG (Oshkosh Rear Engine Gas) and then more recently Workhorse UFO.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #6

The last of the most recent rear gas chassis was the R-26 "UFO" which was used by 5 different coach builders. Most were made as WBGO Destination and Itasca Latitude models in 3 different floor plans. WBGO used up the last of their UFO allotment by producing the same floor plans branded as Adventurer Limited. Forest River, Georgie Boy, Monaco/HR, and Rexhall were the other brands, I think.

Sadly, they didn't survive the FALSE claims that they would run hot and the market downturn in 2009. Most of us who test drove them were amazed at how well they handled and braked, not to mention the lack of noise from having gas power in the rear.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 01:58 PM   #7

Back in the 1970's the chassis division of John Deere built a gasoline pusher. It was powered by a 460 Ford engine. I know that the FMC motorhome was available on them. The only motorhome that I know for sure was built on that chassis was from FMC who built a luxury coach between 1973 & 76. I suspect that there were some others, but do not know who they were. I believe that Vogue also built some units on that chassis. They were well known for problems with overheating.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:03 PM   #8

Add the Foretravel OREG to the list of high end, rear engine gas coaches. Same Ford 460, overheating issues and poor fuel MPG.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not to rain on your parade in regards to overheating on the rear engine gas MH's but I have put 93,000 miles on a 2008 HR UFO and have been across the Mojave multiple times in trips from Houston to Sacramento and have never had any issues in regards to overheating on the UFO. Have owned other Class A gas MH's with engine in front and would never go back to one after having the chassis I have.

Seems that another reason for the demise of the rear engine gas is the GM quit building the 8.1 L engine due to Federal Government and some trade off on medium duty truck line.

With respect to the Oskosh setup, I have had conversations with chassis engineers who have looked at that design and it was the way air was drawn thru the chassis that created the problem. The UFO airflow is 180 out from the Oskosh design

Have a good Memorial Day and I can't wait to put another 93,000 miles on this UFO and change oil for around $40.00 in my driveway

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
When the UFO chassis came out, I tried one and liked it but the price was too close to a DP for me to consider it. It cost way more than a regular gasser and not too much less that a DP. Then Workhorse, who developed the chassis went away!
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
Not to rain on your parade in regards to overheating on the rear engine gas MH's but I have put 93,000 miles on a 2008 HR UFO and have been across the Mojave multiple times in trips from Houston to Sacramento and have never had any issues in regards to overheating on the UFO.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

My overheating comments were on the old John Deere/Oshkosh OREG chassis with Ford 460.

Yes, based on first hand experience in working on them.

I have no information on the newer generation Workhorse UFO. Everyone who has one speaks very highly of it.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #12

From what I have read over the years is that the cost increase of the gas pusher over the standard gas puller was more than the average MH buyer wanted to pay. They could upgrade to a better coach with more bells and whistles for the same cost. Plus, it wasn't much more to get into a low end DP that offered better ride and economy. It's too bad, as it would have been a good fit for the buyer that still wanted the benefit of a rear engine and could still do their own servicing with a lower annual cost it own.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:13 PM   #13

Well Newmar brought back a front engine diesel so maybe someone else will bring back a gas pusher.

Why not have air suspension and/or air brakes on gassers too?
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:22 PM   #14

Well if I was Ford I would make my Box Van chassis's so they shared as many parts and assembly processes as possible with the F53.

A box van with an engine hump in the cargo compartment isn't going to sell well. Although it would get quite a few laughs!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas