Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Why not leave Black Tank open after dumping and while Gary Tank is dumping

Why not leave the Black tank drain valve open after dumping it - and while dumping Grey tank? Wouldn't that allow Grey water to rush into Black tank and help rinse it out?

Then when Grey tank is done draining, close both valves.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #2

Because you could get cross contamination back into your grey tank if it didn't flow into the sewer fast enough. That's why there is a rinse valve for your black tank.
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #3

I added a third valve at the discharge. I dump the black tank and then shut the third valve. Then open the grey valve with the black valve open. When 1/3 of the grey has rushed into the black tank, I shut the grey valve and open the third draining the black again. Doing this three times cleans up the black. I then flush the black with clean water and shut the black valve letting about 5 gallons of fresh continue to flow into it. Then open the grey valve to empty it. Job done and both tanks cleaned.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
Because you could get cross contamination back into your grey tank if it didn't flow into the sewer fast enough. That's why there is a rinse valve for your black tank.
Cross contamination? Please explain why that would be a bad thing if it even could happen.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #5

One more place to stink.....lol
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #6

Newer large motorhomes Foretravel Prevost conversion now only have a single holding tank. The real reason for two was because RIVA the RV association had it in their specs changed then single tanks became available. You grey tank can actually smell worse than your black with decaying food bacteria.
esaulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaulten View Post
.... You grey tank can actually smell worse than your black with decaying food bacteria.
THAT's the truth !!!

I have been mixing mine for years to help the flushing...
Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #8

Exactly the way Crasher say's
Old 09-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When all is said an done, you want your dump hose thoroughly washed out. If you leave the black valve open, you may get (delayed action) nasty stuff dripping, while you are doing that.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaulten View Post
Newer large motorhomes Foretravel Prevost conversion now only have a single holding tank. The real reason for two was because RIVA the RV association had it in their specs changed then single tanks became available. You grey tank can actually smell worse than your black with decaying food bacteria.
Because of the rubbish sensors I often only realise the grey tank is full is because the shower backs up, not sure I'd want that if it was black and grey combined!
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #11

We have been full-timing for almost 5 years. And to date,using this method we have never had an issue. Not to say I will not, just have not yet. I can back flush with the back flush inlet 5 times, will have clear water coming out of the black tank. But 1 time with the 3 inch gray water inlet into the black tank, after those 5 back flushes,
will show you just how much toilet paper and stuff was left in the black tank.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Cross contamination? Please explain why that would be a bad thing if it even could happen.
I don't want waste from the black tank in my gray tank. Before I dump either tank I fill them to the top with fresh water. Dump the black tank, close the valve and do a rinse to flush out the hose with the water from the gray tank.
When ever possible I like to refill both tanks and drain them again with the same procedure. I won't hold up a line to do this but I can do it if hooked to a full hookup site sewer system or bring the rig to the city and use the dump station at the sewage treatment plant. I am a city taxpayer and have free use of the facility. It's only 1 1/2 miles from my shop.
If you were to get toilet paper or human waste in your gray tank it might lay there for quite some while. Get enough paper build up and it could eventually plug the drain line. Notice the drain line between the tank and the valve is generally smaller on the gray tank than the black tank. This doesn't allow for the "whoosh" you get when dumping the black tank.
We are always watchful of what goes down the drains in the sinks and bath. Dishes are scraped with a rubber spatula before placing into the sink to be washed.
Lynn
Old 09-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The directions I received with my Sani Con system say to pump the black tank then while the black tank is open, open the grey tank and let it back flow into the black tank then close the grey tank and pump the black tank again. Then you close the black tank and pump the grey. Does not sound like the mfg. is worried about cross contamination.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'll let my black tank flusher take care of that!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank