Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Why the hate on Thors?

I see a lot of bad reviews on Thor MCs, especially the Hurricane 34s.

Why?

I have a 2000 American Eagle 40 EVS widebody diesel pusher, and just bought the 2021 THor Hurricane 34 J. Put 5000 miles on it from California to AZ, and then home to RVA. NO ISSUES.

So, the interior is basically IKEA/WalMart quality cabinetry and fixtures, but it's a $100K RV, not a $350K RV, lol. You will not get the Corian countertops and custom fixtures like in my Eagle, lol. That is exactly a 350K RV.

We bought this one because it sleeps more than my custom rig, it was cheap, and looks good. I am not hauling my toy hauler with this either, maybe just a small TOAD, and with the Triton and GWVR being what it is, should be non-invasive. Cheap fixtures? So what?

The chassis is solid, and the Ford Tritons are well-tested. To be fair, most of the hate reviews do concern the interior, but if you own an RV, you need to be handy, right?

Also, this Thor was the easiest winterization I have ever had. Took about 30 minutes because you don't have 20 valves to mess with.

Is it just because people think that "I spent 100K on an RV" these days? 100K is not today what 100K was 30 years ago.............. and you do get what you pay for.
TheKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #2

About every third motorhome I see on the road is a 34-foot Hurricane, so I’d bet the volume of complaints is mostly statistical given how many are out there. And yes, have a staple gun handy!
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #3

That's great you like yours.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TheKraken said:
"just bought the 2021 THor Hurricane 34 J. Put 5000 miles on it from California to AZ, and then home to RVA. NO ISSUES."

Holy Cow, what route did you take?

I had a Thor trailer years ago and thought it was pretty good.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKraken View Post

Why?

So, the interior is basically IKEA/WalMart quality cabinetry and fixtures,
I think you may have answered your own question. Ikea and Walmart stuff can be great when it's new...but it does not last. Hopefully your rig has many more trouble free miles!!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #6

Talking

LOL! The route................

We bought this sucker in Tucson at LazyDays, then proceeded back and forth from Barstow CA to Tucson (my mom and wife's mom) to all over the Pacific Northwest, Grand canyon, HATCH NEW MEXICO to get Chiles, etc. Anywhere we could get in a day or two, we did it.

Then the 1992 mile trip home, so yeah, it was a great test for the THOR.

I love it. The Walmart interior? LOVE IT, too. Staple gun and levels to fix anything not so, lol. Sink works, [Mod Edit] works great, dumping grey and black a breeze, dry camping? DONE.

Best thing? 0 breakdowns, which from the hate reviews I have seen, not one of those concern breakdowns, so again?

WHY THE HATE!!!?!?!?!?!?!? LOL!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #7

I have no concerns about the interior. If it becomes an issue, I can fix it. My biggest concern is breakdowns that can cost you a week on the road.

I'm a man, the easiest thing to do is glue some particle board back together, lol.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #8

Well my Thor Super C interior is also on the Dollar Store reject listing. My issue is the cheap "Leather couch and dining seats". The so called leather flakes off more than a box of cereal. Sad thing is the listing price was $180,000 and luckily I paid 1/2 that price as a 1 1/2 year old unit. The cost of replacement couch and dinette seating will still run about $2,000 from RecPro or pay an upholstery shop to redo your seats and pay just as much. If I pull out all the seating I will replace the cheap floor linoleum that looks like it belonged in my Grandmother's old house. You would think Thor would have good quality for the most used items in the RVs and you only get 1 year warranty by Thor. It's all a money thing... I will not purchase another Thor. ARE YOU LISTENING THOR.. Good quality brings customers!!
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #9

Did you get the Eco coating for your seats? Keep the blinds closed?

The Eco coating for the seats (AKA "Faux Leather" ) comes with a 5 year warranty. Peeling, etc all covered. Cost about 2 grand, but I got it.

If your floor looks like linoleum, yeah, replace that [Mod Edit] lol.

What caused your issue? Too much sun? No dehumidifiers / temperature control when stored?
Old 12-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Wait till something breaks and you try to get help from thor.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKraken View Post
Did you get the Eco coating for your seats? Keep the blinds closed?

The Eco coating for the seats (AKA "Faux Leather" ) comes with a 5 year warranty. Peeling, etc all covered. Cost about 2 grand, but I got it.

If your floor looks like linoleum, yeah, replace that sh*t lol.

What caused your issue? Too much sun? No dehumidifiers / temperature control when stored?
The RV is stored under a roof covering and only in the sun while we are out and about. The blinds are always down while stored and the see through shades are down while we are moving or parked. While in storage I keep a container of about 1/2 gallon of water sitting in the sink to keep things from drying out. Guess my couch is just having a bad dandruff day!! Fauxin' Leather is more like it... as for the coating unfortunately we were not provided with the option.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #12

If you paid 90K for a used model, I got my Hurricane for around 98K brand new with upgrades, but added the protection packages, you got SOLD, lol.

If they did not add additional warranties for interior / exterior UV protection, you're gonna get that no matter what RV you bought. Sad, but true. You are gonna get fading on your RV as well.

If you cover your RV, you get the fade protection, but mold issues. Cover your tires? In AZ maybe, but on the East Coast, you get mold as well, which can be just as damaging to your sidewalls as sun in AZ.

Only thing that I can think of that would cause even fake vinyl crappy crap to fade is sunlight.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
There's only one person that needs to be happy with your Thor motorhome.

Enjoy your motorhome. Sometimes we tend to forget what their purpose is. Simply put, to take us from point A to point B. How comfortable the journey is may or may not be an issue. Again, it's only you who need to be happy.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Wait till something breaks and you try to get help from thor.
Already got help from THOR. The little screw that held the back blind string in place got pulled out of the wall and got fixed, lol. Took 5 minutes. Took that in on my FIRST warranty checkup (30 day one) I get another warranty checkup at 6 months, and a year.

Again, lol. Any breakdowns? No?

Tags
thor