Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #15

Why V10 gasser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
Still have a Serrano 31X front engine diesel and love it. 13 mpg reasonably quite on the road and no DEF.

Thanks, Dennis! Glad it's treating you well. Good to hear from you again.
I got 10 to 11 in the mountains pulling my 12 Wrangler.
I really miss my FRED. If I was a vacationer vs fulltime, I'd still have it.
BTW, on trade I got about $20K more than I figgered.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
My parents have a FRED that they are very happy with. It has more power than the big block class A motor homes they had. I was worried about how loud it would be, but when working it is quieter than their 8.1 on the last rig. I still think it is a good idea. The diesel in my f250 is something like an 8k option these days. With a 100k plus price tag on new rigs it seems like it wouldn't be too much to consider.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
GM tried to sell the Kodiak line in 2008 and had no takers so they shut the line down and no longer produce a Medium duty truck/chassis.
Here's a link:Chevrolet Kodiak - Tractor & Construction Plant Wiki - Wikia
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:14 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back before we bought our '97 type C gas rig we found one brand new Type C MH on a Ford cutaway chassis with a diesel engine. The premium was $7500 in '96 or so. Have never seen another one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pedal View Post
My parents have a FRED that they are very happy with. It has more power than the big block class A motor homes they had. I was worried about how loud it would be, but when working it is quieter than their 8.1 on the last rig. I still think it is a good idea. The diesel in my f250 is something like an 8k option these days. With a 100k plus price tag on new rigs it seems like it wouldn't be too much to consider.
The math is simple. Aside from the different cost of service. take the average miles one drives per year figure the expected average fuel economy and then compute how many years one would need to drive the unit to make up the cost difference. Most of us will not own or drive a unit enough to pay for the diesel over a V-10 gas. That assumes the diesels they put in will be significantly better than the V-10. They probably will not.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
When we had or 1st coach, which was a 454 gasser, we looked at FREDS. Just couldn't see payin the price point with NO air suspension or air brakes. Went with DP's (on our 4th now) and never looked back. Currently 37 ft and 1250# of torque and 2 speed jake brake are great. Just sayn
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I'm the other way; why are all the gassers up front? That noisy beast belongs as far away from me as possible, under the bed sounds good! The only reason I'd want the engine up front is if I was pulling a horse trailer and wanted the radiators and engine heat as far from them as possible. Remember those busses from the mid 1900's had gas engines in the rear, and manual transmissions; imagine the trans linkage.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know about Fred diesels but the choice of gas for us was easy. I know how to fix gas engines and, while I hear diesel engine probably lasts longer, I also know too many instances of what would seem like small issues costing big $. Know of two instances for example where fuel pump issues turned into $5000.00 bills.
hochmuth1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #23

I was told by an automotive engineer that the DEF technology in a car cost about $3500. This would be on top of the higher cost of the Diesel engine and more heavy duty transmission, rear ends etc. because diesels have more torque they need more robust components. As you move away from standard automotive the volumes drop, and economies of scale come into effect at that point.
Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:55 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freds bit the dust because nobody wanted them. There wasn't enough benefit for the dollars spent. Perhaps if they had air brakes and suspension it would have been another story. It is reflected in the used market, we cant give them away and there is a large deduction under what book value is whenever a dealer looks at them coming in trade. They do have a niche following and some folks love them.

Tags
gas, v10