Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why you should run your DP periodically in storage.

Our DP has been in storage since Oct. It's stored in an unheated building and all I've been doing is starting and running the genset once a month. Yesterday I started it up to take it to a shop for routine maintenance and had a problem.

The engine heater was plugged in and she fired right up, however, I could not get the air bags to inflate nor could I get enough air pressure in the front tank to release the brakes. The reason was there was ice in the lines.

Our Winter has been one of those where one day it's 35 degrees, and the next below zero. I'm guessing that all that heating and cooling put condensation in the lines, and because I wasn't running the engine, it built up and froze blocking air ports. If I had run the engine once a month the dryer should have eliminated it.

I finally got it thawed out by starting it, warming it up, and shutting it off to let the heat radiate through the system. About three in the afternoon I finally said enough and called the shop and told them I wouldn't be coming after all. Of course I tried it one more time, and Lo and Behold, it aired up.

From now on I will start it once a month just to keep it dried out.

Let the wisdom begin.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 06:25 AM   #2

The water ( moisture ) was already past the air dryer if it blocked the lines. The system is sealed from the atmosphere, while sitting.

The air dryer is the first thing the air goes thru after the compressor.

You need to have the air dryer serviced and drain your tanks of any water.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well first they have to be thawed out.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The system is sealed from the atmosphere, while sitting.
Not sealed from condensation however.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure what chassis you have, but our chassis is a Spartan and they recommend moving the coach once a month (25’ forward and backwards) to keep the wheel bearings lubricated.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Not sealed from condensation however.
How is that ?

The only way outside air can get in the tanks is thru the compressor inlet then thru the air dryer and past a few check valves. There is no vent like gas and fuel tanks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Starting the coach once a month without driving it to bring everything up to full operating temp is not a good thing to go. Getting things luke warm then shutting down causes condensation to accumulate in the engine and trans. I agree with the statement that condensation cannot accumulate in the air system if the dryer is functioning properly and the tanks have been drained occasionally
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #8

We used to park our bulk farm trucks from Oct till April or May without starting them. Never found it to be a problem. Don't know why a motorhome would be any different. It's still just a diesel engine, transmission, air bags, and tires sitting on a steel frame.

edit: Preventative maintenance such as using an airline/antifreeze product would take care of any potential air system freeze ups.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lets put you in a cold room for 3 months and see how fast you are moving when you get up....

Newmar's are not really set up for cold weather. Inside storage or not, the more I work on repairing my barn find the more I realize this. 7 years sitting in storage has not been kind to this one....

Ok, so I also have the block heater. Exactly what is this? Is the heating element in the fuel tank to turn the diesel back to liguid when it gels or is it in the oil pan or is it actually in the block as the little sticker says? Looks like it runs off 110v so you must be plugged in to shore power for it to work? I can't seem to find any info on this.

this is a little off subject, I have leaking threaded air fittings at the bags, clearly the teflon tape is failing. Clearly the white teflon tape was not designed to handle the pressure and heat for this location. Any suggestions?
Old 02-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
The advice from the OP is not correct, based on everything I
have been told by Cummins, Allison, Freightliner and my
local shop that does all my work. Post #7 is completely
correct. Posts 2,6,8 are spot on as well. The OP has a
failed air dryer, and this raises questions for his air brake
system as well !
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #11

Why you should NOT run your DP periodically in storage.

I changed the title to what it should read.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Have you purged the air system(drained the water out)? Have you serviced the Air Dryer at least every three years. Others above are correct Compressing air introduces water into the system, next stop is the air dryer, gets most of the water out. Then the storage tanks where again water can condense(on most RV's if the dryer is serviced no water). Starting you DP and not driving 30-60 minutes will not get the trans or coolant to operating temp. Idling a diesel does not even get near warm and can wash the cylinders.

LEN
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
I changed the title to what it should read.
Guess it depends if your definition of "run" includes a 1/2 hour drive or not ;-)
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why you should run your DP periodically in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
..... From now on I will start it once a month just to keep it dried out.

Let the wisdom begin.

Jim...
I don't know if monthly starts are necessary, but here's another reason for periodic starts.

(NOTE: readers, please don't rehash the old "don't start it without driving it" debate. I'm talking about specific circumstances.)

Jim, I note that you have an '02 vintage Cat 3126. Same as I have. That means your fuel system also includes a HEUI pump, a marvelous little piece of engineering that also (because of the way it operates) happens to be very sensitive to clean engine oil.

I've parked many times for 2-4 months with no problems at all, but once I parked for 5-1/2 months and my HEUI became very unhappy. Long story short, it all worked itself out, but it could have-- and damn near did-- cost me $4G to replace it.

This drove me to do some research and learn a bit about these little beasties. Now I start it after a couple months or so.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage