Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Wife warming up on rving!!! Choosing brand?

I posted like a year ago, tying to get ideas in convince wife to consider rving. She is actually warming up to the idea, well lukewarm anyway.

Just a little background, she has an autoimmune disease that has had her in and out of a wheelchair. Doing pretty good at the moment, but can change quickly. She uses a walker and/or a wheelchair if we are walking a long ways.

Travel for both of us is getting harder. Just back from a trip to FL. Sitting in a car all day and sleeping in uncomfortable beds is getting old and I can't drive 15 hrs like I used to. I like 4-6 hrs tops!!! And I hate carrying the luggage in and out all the time!!!

So, I keep hinting and gently talking to her about rving and letting her think it is her idea. Assuming we make it to rving, getting brand motorhome (and yes a motorhome, we've decided on that) is the big question for me. We live just south of Nashville, so close to Tiffin. I really like Newmar and Tiffin. I really like the handicap models from Newmar, but wife says not to worry about that as we'll figure it out if we have to.
I'm also really check the OCCC and towing capacity and axle weights as a lot are lacking in those areas.

So, considering Newmar and Tiffin and our location, which would you choose for a motorhome and getting service? Oh and usage 2 - 4 months a year. Probably stay at one place 1-4 weeks at a time, only overnight when moving.
new2rving2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Community Moderator

I think the Newmar model with the wheelchair lift would be a perfect fit for your needs.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:27 AM   #3

You may want to consider renting a motorhome at least for the first couple of trips to see if you both enjoy the experience. Take a look at Rvshare.com to see which models are available to rent from private parties in your area that might fit your wife's needs.

Also consider that based on your travel plans the motorhome will be sitting unused for 8-10 months out of the year which is not ideal, so if you decide to buy vs. rent you may want to think about adding several shorter trips throughout the year to keep the coach running well.

For purchase, both manufacturers you're looking at build quality coaches so it largely comes down to floor plan. Based on your intended use, I would definitely look at well maintained pre-owned coaches. Tiffin and Newmar have brochure archives so you can go back to look at available floor plans from prior years.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #4

We bought out motorhome for similar reasons, my wife was not fully convinced that it is right for us either (make that is not fully convinced 2+ years in, but she is getting there). She also has a similar condition, though not yet as advanced, no wheel chair yet, but declining ability to walk, and closer to needing a cane for stability each year. One of her big challenges is the entryway stairs, we have a smaller class A coach with 19.5 inch wheels so only one fold down step, plus one notched in indoor step (total of 3 steps up to floor level). Whenever we look at new / larger coaches one of the things she hates on the big diesel pushers is all the entry steps, often with 2 fold out metal steps, then 2 more interior notched in steps for up to 5 to get to floor level.

As to the travel part, she does much better in the motorhome than in the car for long trips, though just the motion of being on the road is fatiguing for her. In our case part of the reason we opted for a smaller coach with no tow behind car is so we could have it nearby when out doing things during the day for her to potentially have a place to rest should she over exert herself, this is working somewhat ok for us, though we are considering buying a tow behind car as even at 28 ft our coach is too big to go a lot of places. Coach size is a compromise though between living space and maneuverability, having said that I can certainly see how a smaller 24 ft sprinter based class B would be nice for us to have when out and about for her to go rest in during the day, though perhaps not so much with limited elbow room the rest of the time.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 AM   #5

Of the more affordable motorhomes, I would recommend looking at Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes unless you want to consider high end coaches such as Prevost.

Since you are going to be doing this for the first time, I suggest buying a good used motorhome as you can use it for a year or two and see whether being a motorhome owner is going to work for you and your wife. Then, if you need to, you can see about purchasing a MH with a lift for a wheelchair that could be very helpful when your wife needs it.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #6

If you don't like the wheelchair enabled floor plans then a Sprinter or other small van based C is a whole lot easier to get in and out of. The stairs in A class are a real challenge to people with mobility limitations.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #7

Sprinter will still be too big to go everywhere when there are mobility problems plus you will lack room to stow the wheelchair. I don't have your wifes problem but I have had both knees and hips replaced so I have a clue about mobility.

I took a quick look at what Newmar offers. They are all bigger units. I would be more inclined to go down to 30-34 ft if I could get a lift for it. Easier to get in and out of a lot of places and enough room for a couple plus a bit easier to move around in as long as she is walking. Think about getting a stool for her to sit or lean on in the kitchen and a table instead of a booth to sit at. I think the seating on an A gas will be the best for her. No door in her lap and more room around the seat.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the handicap forum here, there is a chair lift, I forgot the name,that mounts to the inside of entry door framing. It's electric,swivels out and down,nice unit, if I remember correctly,it was about $4200.ish.Then you can use any motor home that has clearance inside that suits your needs. My 35k terra has clearance inside that allowed my wife to use a electric 3 wheel scooter inside from front to rear, stairs were a problem so I made a portable ramp for the outside that worked well for the few trips we were able to take before ALS took hold with a vengeance.We bought our coach long before my DW was diagnosed so we made it work without spending a fortune on a handicap motor home for just a few trips. Now my coach is plenty large enough for me and Fatboy (the cat).

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the info. We have been to a couple of rv shows, about 4 or 5 yrs ago. We went in all types and we both decided we liked class As the best. She really wants a washer/dryer and a residential refrigerator. I'm pretty handy, but not sure if I'm handy enough to change out a norcold in an older motorhome. So, looking at one new enough to have a residential refrigerator.

Also, I think the newmar handicap might be really nice. Actually her sister had MS and her husband put in a screw chair lift. Worked pretty good, but was slow. Not nice in cold or rainy weather. We have never been in one of the handicap newmar motorhome, floorplan looks nice. She just doesn't think the lift looks nice on the inside!!!! We just need to get in one and see!!! And if not one of the handicap motorhomes, really have to check it out with the slides in. She is pretty unsteady walking now, so don't need a really tight isle.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #10

Keep in mind lots of older coaches may have already been retrofitted to residential refrigerators. I looked at a 2001 36 ft Foretravel for sale at Motorhomes of Texas about a month ago that appeared to have been well updated about 4 years ago with residential fridge, new convection microwave and flat panel TVs. (basing this on the 2014 manufacture date on the data plates in the fridge and microwave).
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #11

To keep DW's enthusiasm, I'd suggest you explain that selection and verification is a long, careful process. Then, you can start with the most important part -->> Floorplan

Learn what will work for food prep, daily routine, storage and convenience so you can entertain, just hang around and sleep comfortably.

After you start learning what you must have in the rig - you can educate yourselves regarding build and long term quality, as well as repair costs and opinions from owners.

Visit a few state park campground and talk to the folks that are doing it - what do they say?

Slow and easy - there is a rig that will make you both happy.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many years ago I had an autoimmune disease called Guillian Barre. Took me better than a year to get over it.

What does she have?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #13

Do any manufacturers put overhead grab bars, like on boats? Is it even possible, or for that matter, desirable?

I'm sort of in a similar situation, but it's the DW who wants to go RVing (I'd prefer getting a trawler), and has for a couple of decades since one of her girl friends (former work colleague) arrived at our house in a good sized Class C and proceeded to camp in our driveway while she worked her consulting business.

But mobility issues are on the horizon, so I have to think ahead to the future. Working from anywhere is the easy part, as long as there's room and a connection for email and voice. Comfort and accessibility are high on the list.

So I'm watching this and other similar threads with great interest.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #14

Isaac-1, I've looked at Motorhomes of Texas a few times. I've never noticed any older Foretravel with a residential refrigerator, but one would be nice if it had a good usable floorplan.

Domo,
I've had to take it really slow with her, but she is warming up to the idea. Especially now since we have a dog again and our daughter is about to graduate from college and head to grad school, probably somewhere from Houston area to New York. So, a motorhome would be great to visit her and we have family/friends from OR to GA and we both prefer to visit a national park rather than cities anyway.
Reading on here and other forums what I've learned is to carefully check out floorplan, carrying, axle and towing capacities. How do you like your Tiffin 36 QSH, I've seen that floorplan online, never in person. Thought it looked nice. One reason I like Tiffin is we are only about 3-4 hrs from Red Bay, but if wife ever gets completely confined to wheelchair again, Newmar handicap RVs look really good nice. We visited Red Bay a couple of yrs ago, was really fun and informative.
Arch, she has a disease called Neuromyelitis optica (NMO) We've been dealing with it for a long time now. Makes things a challenge at times and you really learn to not want a lot of stairs and narrow doors!!!! I've heard of Guillian Barre, hope you are doing well.
Kanz,
Mobility issues are a big challenge. It really makes you look at things a different way, even just going to the store. I only know of Newmar handicap units that have grab bars etc. Winnebago was supposed to have something at one time, but I never saw much about them. After going to a couple of RV shows and visiting a couple of dealers, we pretty much decided on a motorhome. Just easier on her when traveling and we can always have a toad.

Tags
rving