Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

Wiff of the grey

Occasionally we get a sniff of the grey tank when washing dishes or just hanging near the kitchen sink. This happens when it is empty and all the way to full. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Jake
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #2

No, not normal. Have you been able to trace it? I mean, is it also under the sink? Could it be drifting out from the roof vent and into the kitchen window?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We had a similar problem. We thought it was the auto air vent under the sink staying open. Replaced it with one from Home Depot...nope not the problem.

Finally we discovered it was coming from the washing machine drain.
We hadn't used the machine for a while and with the hot weather the water in the trap had evaporated out so when we emptied the sink it would push some of the air out of the grey tank up into the coach.

Jimmy
Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Look under the sink for something like this

A bit closer view. This is the vent mentioned above, it's best known by the slang name "cheater vent" may not be legal by code in your state. <$3 at Home Depot, changed out all of ours to get rid of the smell when traveling, one twice as the one from HD was DOA. Now we can drive with the roof vents open and no smell.

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
...This is the vent mentioned above, it's best known by the slang name "cheater vent" may not be legal by code in your state. <$3 at Home Depot, changed out all of ours to get rid of the smell when traveling, one twice as the one from HD was DOA. Now we can drive with the roof vents open and no smell.
When you say changed it out, do you mean to a different style of vent, or just changed the cap to a new one? I'm having the EXACT same problem and would like to get it fixed ASAP as it stinks of rotten eggs. Not to mention, the wife fills the tank fairly quickly (having to dump every 2-4 days), so the stink seems to happen often!!

Today I smelled it coming out of the tub drain, but evaperation shouldn't be the culprit since we used the shower yesterday evening...
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21
Occasionally we get a sniff of the grey tank when washing dishes or just hanging near the kitchen sink. This happens when it is empty and all the way to full. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Jake
You may want to flush your hot water tank..sometimes you will be amazed.:-)
jeep820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
When you say changed it out, do you mean to a different style of vent, or just changed the cap to a new one? I'm having the EXACT same problem and would like to get it fixed ASAP as it stinks of rotten eggs. Not to mention, the wife fills the tank fairly quickly (having to dump every 2-4 days), so the stink seems to happen often!!

Today I smelled it coming out of the tub drain, but evaperation shouldn't be the culprit since we used the shower yesterday evening...
Changed it out for the same type of unit. The purpose of these vents is to act as a vacuum break so the water going down the drain doesn't siphon the P-trap dry letting stink in. In an ideal world the mfgr would have piped the vent to the stack same as in a stick and brick.

Sadly these cheap *** vents are what we get. If they get stuck closed then the water gets sucked out of the P-trap and stink comes up from the drain. If they get old and leak when they're closed or stick open anything like an exhaust fan running or driving with a window or vent open will pull stink into the coach.

If the 2nd one didn't work in my kitchen I was going to get some 1 1/2" x 3/4" NPT reducers and pipe the vents to the stack using 3/4" hose.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of odor problems are directly tied to a bad vent. It all could have been prevented if the mfgr had just spent a few more $$ to run them to the stack.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
whack the pop off vent and see if it goes away also make sure all your drains have water in the p trap
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Also check your battery compartment for a hot (overcharged) battery- a battery going bad will let off a rotten-egg smell as well.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan

Changed it out for the same type of unit. The purpose of these vents is to act as a vacuum break so the water going down the drain doesn't siphon the P-trap dry letting stink in. In an ideal world the mfgr would have piped the vent to the stack same as in a stick and brick.

Sadly these cheap *** vents are what we get. If they get stuck closed then the water gets sucked out of the P-trap and stink comes up from the drain. If they get old and leak when they're closed or stick open anything like an exhaust fan running or driving with a window or vent open will pull stink into the coach.

If the 2nd one didn't work in my kitchen I was going to get some 1 1/2" x 3/4" NPT reducers and pipe the vents to the stack using 3/4" hose.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of odor problems are directly tied to a bad vent. It all could have been prevented if the mfgr had just spent a few more $$ to run them to the stack.
Can you send the the link to the valve at home depot? I can't find it on their website.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Google search for "cheater vent" 3rd link. Here's a good description of the vent and its function. CLICKY

Interesting thing, they vary widely in price, locally they're $2.95 putting in a few different Zip Codes for stores I found them as high as $5.95

Just walk into any Lowes/HD, find a guy in the plumbing section and ask for a "cheater vent"
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #12

Changed the cheater vent. No change in the smell. Could the hot temps outside and the cool temps in the RV be causing this?
J
Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Changed the cheater vent. No change in the smell. Could the hot temps outside and the cool temps in the RV be causing this?
J
I changed mine as well and, like you, didn't notice a change(though for less than $3, it's worth it to change it anyways). I've noticed that this problem shows up in the heat of summer (when it's over 100 degrees out). This week we are in SoCal and haven't had a problem with the smell. I'm sure it will come back next week when we get back to Arizona...

Any other ideas on how to solve this stinkin' problem?
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep820 View Post
You may want to flush your hot water tank..sometimes you will be amazed.:-)
Yep you might want to try it. It won't take long and could be the solution.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote