Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
With that wide a road I would not hug the curb of the street and wait to start the turn until you get to the driveway. By starting in the middle of the road and starting the turn well before the driveway you could be half way through the turn when you get to the driveway. If you have trouble getting it in off that wide a road, hang on as you are going to be a pull through only camper.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #30

Need to consider what is off the sides for RV overhang. There are turning templates you can look at if you draw to scale. Consider what the radius between the 12’ drive and 36’ road is. Cannot tell from your sketch.

Example:

Sassyrv.com/Motorhome-turning-templates
Old 09-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
It's going to be a multiple point turn and take a few minutes but you should be able to get it in the drive with a 36' wide road to work with.

Agree. I did a similar driveway with a much narrower street in a 38 foot MH. I was able to flare the mouth of the driveway a little, but with your 36 foot street you should be fine.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #32
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it will fit. After a few times it will fit easily.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #33

I think it will fit. More room than some campgrounds I have been in and I have squeezed my Tour in, its about 43' long. 36' is a lot of room to swing, backing in is how I would do it. What is the wheel base on the RV you are considering? I can do a U turn in about 46'-47' not counting tail swing so I think you got this.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
RE: C5c5's addition to your sketch:

So THAT'S what they mean when they say "Happy Camper"...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I back mine in... You should not have a problem.

I pull up to where my rear of MH is to the middle of where I want to go. (Red line) Backing in could be a jockey in process if cars are parked across the street.

It works for me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SharedScreenshot.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	259674  
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #36

If you can't back the rig into that space, I'd suggest you buy something much smaller! You will find much tougher manuevering once you start hitting the back in spaces at campgrounds!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #37

Does your driveway have much of a grade, if so that can be a issue with the rear of your rig dragging when backing in. I have to back straight into my drive, I fabricated a roller under my hitch receiver, also have to clamp a piece of 1x4 on each side of my mud flap to keep the chrome Monaco emblem from getting scratched.

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpd View Post
...Does your driveway have much of a grade, if so that can be a issue with the rear of your rig dragging when backing in.....
That's my problem, too much angle, the tail of the MH is too low.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #39
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With his driveway, and depending on the angle, as he backs in one tire will access the driveway first at an angle. This should lift the hitch making room for the other wheel as he is backing in.

My driveway is a two car and I had it extended to a little over 20 feet. I'm 43' long, tag axle, and the street is about as wide as the OP. Sometimes I nail it and others I have to make a couple point turns. I do cut across the very edge of the other side lower corner of the driveway, sometimes a little sometimes a little more. Depends on how I set up for it.

I guess my point is that in the OP's situation it is doable and will just take a little practice.

There are videos on-line that may help.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #40

Well, right off the bat, I would pull in. That gives you the door and steps toward the house. It also allows you the see the retaining wall that steps up better, both when coming in and backing out. You don't indicate any radius at the corners of the driveway where it meets the street. If there is no radius, then the turn will be a bit more difficult. Still with a 36' wide road to work with, it should work.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
Hello! I am looking at a 38 foot class A to purchase shortly. I have two driveways to park it on. I'd prefer to park it on one over the other since it is level and more protected. I drew a map of the driveway. Will I be able to manuever a 38' class A into it?
-No preference forwards or backed in
-The road is a cul-de-sac that goes uphill
-The driveway has a firm 12 foot clearance, one side is a retaining wall starting at a foot and gradually increasing to about 3 feet while the other side of the driveway butts right up to a large tree
-My neighbor has a fence right at the edge of the road opposite of my driveway so there is no room for the tail backing up a little over the grass there at all

YES based on your dims listed this could be done easily.
This is assuming no one has parked any cars across the street from your driveway
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
I think its doable. I STRONGLY suggest you have the wife assist you, and agree to a set of hand signals BEFORE you attempt it. I never back in without help.

The helper (my DW) watches both sides, front, rear and OVERHEAD for low or angled branches. Here's our system: 1) she makes sure she can see me in the mirror (if she can't, then I can't see her), 2)if I loose sight of her I stop, 3) she points to the direction she wants the rear to go (no rotating of hand, which is backward in the mirror), 4)both hands up if I'm OK, 5) cross the wrists to stop. If I'm not stopping she bangs the rear of the coach (which definitely gets my attention!). This has worked well for us in the 43 years we've been MH'g.

Best of luck, and enjoy!
Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
WIT 47083, FMCA F263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote