Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Will my new MH be able to turn into my driveway? Can I calculate this

I'm going to be picking up my new MH shortly. I'm getting a little nervous regarding whether it will be able to make the turn off the street into my driveway. The rest of the drive home is no problem.

I would rather figure this out now - and make modifications to my driveway entrance before I get stuck in the road with no plan.

Is it possible to figure out how much room I need to turn in?
My new rig is 42ft with Tag. The wheelbase is 287" (I belive wheelbase is measure to the center space between rear axle and tag (so raising Tag will shorten WB a few inches). I'm not sure what the wheel turning angle is - probably around 50 degrees - its a Roadmaster 10MS chassis (if anyone knows).

I live on residential (private owned roads so they're not as wide as a public road) the road is about 18 feet wide. How much entrance space do I need to make the turn? In the example I found on line (attached) the RV had 259" WB and needed a radius of 31+ft.
I guess I should make sure I have at least that much.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway entrance.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	180465  
Attached Images

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

I think the wheel base measurement excludes the tag axle as the drive axle is the pivot point. Remember, you can raise your tag using the switch in the cab.

My 40' has a shorter WB than your 42', and I freak out (almost) every time I make a left turn. Well, after 3 summers, its better now.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems like at worst you may have to intentionally swing a little wide, back up a bit to straighten it up and then go on in.

There isn't a rule that says you HAVE to make it without ANY maneuvering.
Especially on a road that I assume is not heavily traveled, you can probably block the road for 30 seconds while you're doing a little maneuvering to get straightened at the approach into the driveway.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
That 31 feet looks about right. We have a 40' DP, the left turn into storage is tight....and it's a lot more than 18'
Old 10-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I found this info for public roadway design Roadway Design Manual: Minimum Designs for Truck and Bus Turns

Which suggests I need 42ft turning radius outside track and 29ft inside track. Of course public roadway design is more generous with its turn dimensions than I need to be.

So I think I can measure 42 ft from the far side of the main road, and 42 ft from the far side of my driveway to locate a "pivot point", then mark out the turn radius (inside and outside tracks) with string. If I find a problem (like mispalced mailbox) I might be able to correct it now, before I actually come home with the MH.

Does this line of reasoning sound correct? I have a week before my registration and tag are ready.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Truck-Bus Turning Radius.pdf (243.6 KB, 232 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #6

You might try calling coach builder or chassis builder if new or a recent year coach.

Tom
Old 10-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
You might try calling coach builder or chassis builder if new or a recent year coach.

Tom
My neighbor has a 38 footer but his driveway is at more of an angle to to the main street (mine is like a sharp 90). I could ask him to test my driveway entrance - but then he will know I'm a total newbie and I'll lose respect.
I need to figure this out on my own.

PS. The UPS and FedEx trucks have been up my driveway - but my wb is a little longer.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #8

Is there a shoulder you can drive on to give you more room for that turn. If there is I would put my right side wheels over there some, if it's not soft, just to see what you need the next time. And go as far as you can before you make that right ,oops, LEFT turn. Like another said, you can always back up some and give it another shot. From your pic looks to me like you will be ok. I'm curious though, what is that V wedge at the right side of your driveway?
Report back, tell us how you did. Thanks.
Have a great day.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you will be OK, but if too tight do as the previous post suggested and do a couple adjustment maneuvers. What is the red line in the photo? A fence w a gate? Just drive your new baby home and figure it out when you get there. I have a 42 tag w 282 wheelbase and a similar situation from a narrow country road onto my drive. I have 60 degree cut on the steer tires (Freightliner XCS) which works wonders. You have a decent apron into the drive, mine is tight w culverts. Do not worry, enjoy the new ride. If all fails you can always back her in! Lol.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #10

I think you will be ok turning left into the driveway, from the right it will be harder.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #11

By the name of the street I would say he is in horse country, maybe blue grass state. Their fences would be the best for their horses. Am I close?
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The red line is the fence. Yes this horse country - but FL horse country.

In the photo the two dark lines (between the red arrow head) on both sides of my driveway just after turning in are "concrete curbs". I may need to cut one out so I can swing over the grass on that side. There is also a pole with an intercom/doorbell on the left.

And I can't swing too far off the main road because the grass shoulder is about 3 feet wide then it drops into a drainage swale.

Geese, if only I knew all this when my driveway was built.

I think i have some driveway-entrance reconstruction work ahead of me. But better now then when the MH is sitting in the middle of the road.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #13

Yeah, I can see some curb removing in your future. You won't be able to swing wide enough for the rear axles to track inside that curb. You may have to back'er in.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wonder if you could set up some cones in a large parking lot that mark the key boundaries and try the maneuver a couple of times. Remember that from the driver's seat in a left turn your right front side should look like its actually hanging over the grass while the tire is still on pavement. Many drivers give up lots of maneuvering room by turning left too soon with the tire 2 - 3 feet from the edge.