Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Will not start

I have a 1995 Fleetwood American Dream. It has a no start condition. I have to turn the key to start several times for it to finally start the engine. When I g
o to kill the engine, I have to turn the key to the off Position several times. I have replaced the ignition switch,3 solenoids, 2 relays and the fuel shut off solenoid. I can jump the starter solenoid and it starts every time. T kill I can move the fuel shut off solenoid.
What is customer supplies engine enable controller? Schematic shows two green wires going to it.
jim don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #2

Not sure about this one, but I had a similar circumstance. There was an "engine starting lockout" device on the side of the transmission. The purpose is to keep the engine from starting when it is in the wrong gear. The device had loosened and the electrical connection to the transmission had been lost. Pushed it in and everything worked. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2019, 03:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim don View Post
I have a 1995 Fleetwood American Dream. It has a no start condition. I have to turn the key to start several times for it to finally start the engine. When I g
o to kill the engine, I have to turn the key to the off Position several times. I have replaced the ignition switch,3 solenoids, 2 relays and the fuel shut off solenoid. I can jump the starter solenoid and it starts every time. T kill I can move the fuel shut off solenoid.
What is customer supplies engine enable controller? Schematic shows two green wires going to it.
The way you are describing this issue, it sounds to me like the whole ingition switch is rotating as you turn the key (and not just the internal lock/switch). I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but have you verified this is not happening?
HappyCampr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #4

yes I have checked that.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #5

I will look, thanks
Old 09-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too had the"transmission lockout switch" give me fits a few years ago. Turned out to be a pinched wire under the dash.
Your problem - with starting AND stopping sure makes me think it's all in the ignition switch.. I had to go to a Ford dealer with s good diagnostics tech.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sure sounds like a bad ignition switch to me - the turning of the key isn't activating the necessary wires on the switch. You could try jumping the terminals on the switch to prove that out.

The Transmission lockout (Neutral Safety Switch) would prevent the engine from cranking when the tranny is not in neutral. It has no effect on shutting the engine off.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

i'll recheck, have used screw driver to turn switch with key cly. out.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #9

I will try to jump the terminals, I jumped around the neutral safety switch. thanks