Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #1

Will your residential fridge run if not level?

Just installed one to replace the norcold 1200. It’s a Hisense countertop depth.

Tested it in my garage, ran great for weeks.

Installed in the RV at it wouldnt cool below 50 degrees. Sides got super hot. Freezer hit 30 degrees if I got lucky…

Checked power, settings, everything. Even took it out of the wall, put it on the kitchen floor in the RV to test. Took 8 hours to get down to 45 degrees, wouldn’t get lower.

I was puzzled, as it ran great in the garage…

My rv is parked on my driveway, has a small incline. One end of the RV is about 1 foot lower than the other… that’s a 1.5-2.0 degree incline. Maybe more.

So, I leveled the fridge using wood, and it immediately worked. Cooled within an hour!

Put it back in the rv, tried to level it but could only raise it so much. Raised front about 4 inches, didn’t seem like much… but now works great!

Are these fridges really THAT sensitive???
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2022, 05:19 PM   #2

Depends on how the condenser is made. As the refrigerant gives up its heat as a hot gas and changes to a liquid, the system depends on gravity to form a liquid seal as the refrigerant flows to the capillary tube.

Domestic direct expansion refrigeration units need to have adequate room to “breathe”. Make sure you have allowed adequate room around the unit as outlined in the owner operator manual.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:21 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A 30 foot wheelbase with 1 foot incline gives 1.9 degrees pitch.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:27 PM   #4

Our residential Whirlpool does not seem to be affected...at least we've not had any melted ice cream in the past 4 years.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Just installed one to replace the norcold 1200. It’s a Hisense countertop depth.

Installed in the RV at it wouldnt cool below 50 degrees. Sides got super hot. Freezer hit 30 degrees if I got lucky…

Checked power, settings, everything. Even took it out of the wall, put it on the kitchen floor in the RV to test. Took 8 hours to get down to 45 degrees, wouldn’t get lower.

My rv is parked on my driveway, has a small incline. One end of the RV is about 1 foot lower than the other… that’s a 1.5-2.0 degree incline. Maybe more.

So, I leveled the fridge using wood, and it immediately worked. Cooled within an hour!

Put it back in the rv, tried to level it but could only raise it so much. Raised front about 4 inches, didn’t seem like much… but now works great!

We do know the rv refrigerators are sensative to being level. I would suspect that a residential refrigerator that normally sits on level would need to be level unless that particular model has been made differently. You answered your own question. Shouldn’t be a problem if you try to keep your coach level or close to level.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:23 PM   #6

I used a residential fridge in a boat, it was never level underway and worked fine.

Are you getting proper air flow ?

Are you running it on MSW inverter ?

Is there a fan that's getting stopped by something ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
...Are these fridges really THAT sensitive???
Residential fridges are not like rv (absorption fridges).
My guess is you have a different problem. Could be the coil is not going through a defrost cycle and ice is building up on the coil. When this happens (contrary to what you might think) the refrigerator cannot cool the inside down.
More of why rv fridges need to be level here
Old 08-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #8

Our Samsung doesn’t care if it’s level or not. We dry camp frequently without leveling. Runs year round with no issues. Over 5 years so far.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:44 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We had a residential fridge in our previous coach as well as our current one for a total of seven years. We have stopped many nights when traveling and rarely bother to level the coach. Our refrigerator works great. Now we aren’t stopping where there is a huge incline, but it has been noticeable.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

Our Whirlpool runs continuously in our driveway which is about the same incline as yours it sounds like. It works fine without being level. Perhaps you can contact "Hisense" and ask if it needs to be level. I'm not familiar with that brand.
Thanks,
wog099 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I used a residential fridge in a boat, it was never level underway and worked fine.

Are you getting proper air flow ?

Are you running it on MSW inverter ?

Is there a fan that's getting stopped by something ?
Plenty of airspace, good flow (I even put in a computer fan to circulate air)

Its running on shore power/generator...

One thing is, its seems the ne fridges have the coils on the sides (internal), not on the back. The sides get warm while working, back is cool... Perhaps this makes them more sensitive?

I'm curious how this is going to go driving through the mountains...
Old 08-08-2022, 09:01 AM   #12

Further clarification, though I don't think it applies to my situation...

The wall outlets in most RV's are powered by the MSV inverter when on battery power.

When you turn the generator on, or go via a land line, are these outlets STILL powered through the inverter, or is it now directly from the other power source?

I ask as I did at one point have the fridge inside the RV, sitting on the kitchen floor, powered by a wall out let, and it worked fine as long as it was level. Was this being powered by the MSV inverted at that time?

The outlet that powers it when installed in the cabinet is shore/Generator powered only. If neither of those sources are on, there is no power to that outlet. So I suspect a MSV inverter wouldnt come into play.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Further clarification, though I don't think it applies to my situation...

The wall outlets in most RV's are powered by the MSV inverter when on battery power.

When you turn the generator on, or go via a land line, are these outlets STILL powered through the inverter, or is it now directly from the other power source?

I ask as I did at one point have the fridge inside the RV, sitting on the kitchen floor, powered by a wall out let, and it worked fine as long as it was level. Was this being powered by the MSV inverted at that time?

The outlet that powers it when installed in the cabinet is shore/Generator powered only. If neither of those sources are on, there is no power to that outlet. So I suspect a MSV inverter wouldnt come into play.
Most inverter/chargers has pass thru relays in them. The MSW power would only be at the outlet when there is NO shore or generator power.
If shore or generator power is present, that clean power is passed thru to the outlets.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
How did you get the refer into the coach? Did you lay it on its side? When a residential unit is laid on its side, it needs to stand upright for a period of time before turning it on, to get the oil in the system back where it should be.

This article says it should be stood upright as long as it was on its side before turning it on....."it is generally safe to lay a refrigerator on its side provided that you let it rest upright before turning it on. This will allow the oils to flow back down to the compressor. A good rule of thumb to follow is to let the refrigerator rest upright (and unplugged) for the same amount of time that it was lying on its side."

Was it on its side for a long period of time, like overnight?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge