Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #1

Wind Noise

I have a 2014 Tuscany 42WX. When driving above 50 mph I have significant wind noise from the windshield. Any idea how to reduce?
DGRessett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

First, I'd try to determine if it's normal or loose or leaking seal. You could use some blue masking tape to run over the windshield edge and drive. If the sound is reduced, start removing tape and driving again until you localize the area making the noise. Then, if still under warranty, I'd take it in to have it repaired.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGRessett View Post
I have a 2014 Tuscany 42WX. When driving above 50 mph I have significant wind noise from the windshield. Any idea how to reduce?
Are you sure that the noise is from the windshield?

Most noise complaints involve either the DS mirror or missing weep hole covers on the DS window.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
don't over look door awning arms mine made noise from the wind blowing over the arms themselfs filled the gap with pipe insulation ( foam Kind ) Mine would make noise around 40per and up .
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Take a look at the bottom of your drivers side window frame outside. There are probably four slots that are water drains. Mine have no covers and I don't think it would be a good idea to have them covered if it rained but I definately get wind noise from them. I covered them with black electrical tape to see if it made it quieter and it did. I took the tape back off.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Are you sure that the noise is from the windshield? Most noise complaints involve either the DS mirror or missing weep hole covers on the DS wsindow.
x2 on this. I have significant wind noise and it is from the wind coming around the windshield and pouring between the mirror and body. I put a temporary deflector between the windshield post and the mirror and there was very little noise.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Take a look at the bottom of your drivers side window frame outside. There are probably four slots that are water drains. Mine have no covers and I don't think it would be a good idea to have them covered if it rained but I definately get wind noise from them. I covered them with black electrical tape to see if it made it quieter and it did. I took the tape back off.

Jim
The covers are designed to allow the water out while preventing wind noise. If yours are missing, you need to get them installed.

Your ears will thank you.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #8

We are the second owner of this coach and there is no evidence there were ever covers in the slots. Are they a after market item not usually installed when the coach is built? Where can they be obtained?

Jim
Old 01-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Talked to a guy who was really bothered by wind noise. He used masking tape and experimented with tape in various places on the front and side of the coach trying to find the 'quietest' configuration. He said he quieted down some but I don't know if he did or he was trying to placate himself by saying it did. I suspect each coach model/year have their own problems. Our coach produces noise with the mirror on the driver's side and the air coming off the windshield close to the mirror. Luckily?? I am hard of hearing and many of the noises MsC hears, I cannot.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
We are the second owner of this coach and there is no evidence there were ever covers in the slots. Are they a after market item not usually installed when the coach is built? Where can they be obtained?

Jim
I don't know about your coach, but all Tiffin and Winnebago coaches have them standard. Sometimes they are missing, but they are supposed to be there.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #11

Quote:

Jim
Jim
The ones on the bottom fit my Country Coach but all my windows had them but 2. My have to call to see what fits. Used a little silicone across the top to keep in place.
Sullivan RV Online Parts Store: Products
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #12

I measured the four drain slots on my drivers side opening window. They are .875 long and .087 high. Not very big . I have seen nothing on any of the source links for covers that are even close to fitting.

Jim
Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #13
Community Moderator

my noise comes from the awning rail above the entrance door. when awning is retracted, the diameter of the rail is about 4-5 inches, but when rig speeds to 50-65 miles, the wind blows to the section of the rail being huge. unbelievable but real.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I noticed wind noise in my Overland Bus all of a sudden driving down the road. Pulled over at the next exit, pulled into a gas station and got out to have a look! The passenger side windshield had come out at the top corner, about a inch! tried to push it back in place,, noooooo! So duck taped it good, finished our trip, and when I got home, took it to my BIL (Bodyman), he pulled it apart said the hole for the windshield was too big. But I said, it has stayed in all these years, why now? He just looked at me, shook his head, said "who knows" He sent me to the auto parts store, picked up some windshield adhesive, put it all back together, never had another issue with it! I think it was the right combination of wind and right windows opened, that forced it to pop out! Had the dinette window cracked, and none on the other side of the coach? Who knows?
Rail!

Tags
wind noise