Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We had a 31' Class C with no jacks. We got caught in a bad storm up in Wisconsin. The motorhome was rocking badly but we didn't blow over. No surprise that after that our dogs were deathly afraid of storms.

We now have a ~40' Class A, it is a heavy coach probably coming in at 34K. We have a 3 jack system and use then all the time and I don't think I've ever notice any amount of sway. We dump the air in the bags before we level so they don't really provide any support.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo View Post
No need for sarcasm. There are only good questions but there are stupid answers.
If you're referring to me, there was no sarcasm intended, though I could see how it could be read that way.
I'll try to do better in the future.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
Okay I am going to throw a monkey in the mix. I was told by Tiffin NOT to put down the jacks. The reason they state is that the tires and springs are made to take swaying. The jacks are not. Therefore if the coach sways much back and forth in high wind the jacks can break. For several years I put mine down for stability but this came up on another forum. I called and asked after reading those posts and sure enough Tiffin said no.
Melmoses
Both you and Tiffin are correct... the tires and springs allow the coach to sway back and forth.

However I'm sure that Tiffin knows that a coach sitting in the wind with the jacks down is MORE STABLE than a coach sitting in the wind on the tires and springs.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:42 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
did a November trip to Frankenmuth, mi..........storm came thru, winds 25 to 30 with 40 plus gusts..............didn't have jacks down.........coach rocked a bit, but no big deal............I think the big issue with wind is keep the slides in, especially if you have slide toppers like I do......don't want the expense of replacing them when they come loose or rip...........if I see a storm working it's way toward me, and if it is a viable option, I am pulling up stakes and heading out..........with all the weather related information available now, you can pretty much see when disaster might be headed your way........and 100 miles in another direction (90 degrees from the storm's path) can make a huge difference......for what it is worth...........
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Slides In
Jacks Down with tires on the ground
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jacks down will prove what will feel as a more stable platform when the winds come up but will not prevent the coach from tipping if the winds are strong enough. For that matter other than being somewhere else nothing will prevent a coach from tipping if the winds are that strong. Personally I would rather be on the suspension. If the coach starts bouncing I want to know and maybe move to a more sheltered area or take other actions.

Hydraulic jacks shouldn't have a problem with the added forces winds could generate but the electro/mechanical gear drive jacks I don't know. Tiffin used mechanical jacks, Atwood Jacks if I'm not mistaken, for several model years which could be the driving force regarding the advisory to owners.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #21

Having gone through this within the last couple of days in Del Rio Texas I think it depends on your RV chassis. A gas coach I can agree with Tiffin, they sit higher and can exert more leverage on the jacks causing damage. It's best if it can be pointed into the wind. On a diesel coach with air bags I don't agree with Tiffin. I feel the best procedure is to dump the air bags so the coach is resting fully down on it's axle stops, and deploy the jacks just enough to contact the ground for stability but not raising the coach. All slides should be closed and any outside articles stowed. This is the procedure I used a couple of days ago in 55 mph wind gust and 40 mph sustained wind during the rain/hail storms.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Heading into or tail to the winds are far better than side winds! I've left the slides out but the awnings over the slides must be tied down. I use spongee cords. Very noisy if you don't.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone tying the slide awnings down. Do you just toss a line over the middle and tighten down onto the top of the slideout? I could see something like that helping to prevent wind damage (unless the wind is really crazy), though my worry would be if it would apply unusually directed strain on the awning connections.
noflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We weathered a storm at Newport OR in our Type C with 75 mph winds. Wasn't real comfortable as it lifted the rig up on it's suspension. Found out, when we got up in the morning, that we were in a low spot and had about 9" of water to wade through to let the dogs down.
Didn't get much sleep during the storm, rig didn't have any slides to bring in nor jacks to stabilize it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo View Post
No need for sarcasm. There are only good questions but there are stupid answers.
Well said!!! I was thinking we could all do without that kind of welcome to (me included) newbies.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #25

I actually could not tell which post was sarcastic. No sarcasm intended. In the world of the Internet it's usually best to just roll with it. If they are predicting tornadoes I would drive away even for just the one day. If it's getting so bad the jacks could have problems I would consider driving away. If I were to stay and weather the storm I would pull slides and jacks in and let the suspension system handle it for the storm timeframe

Chris
RV Living iRV2 - RV Forum
ChrisRVLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I were caught in severe winds I'd pull in slide outs and retract the levelers. I'd try to point into the wind but probably with the back of the bus. Less expensive glass back there.

As for good questions and responses we all need to remember that the OP is asking a question that they more than likely do not know the answer to. Thus far the OP has made a total of 14 posts. My theory is if you cannot answer the question without sarcasm, then skip the thread. We were all newbies once.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #27

It all depends on your rig. We have an 04 Monaco Signature 45-ft with four slides. Being from Wyoming we're used to the wind. Our rig is heavy enough not to be concerned about the wind unless it's truly hurricane force. Driving through gusting 40-60mph crosswinds is not fun, but parked is no problem although noisy.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflyboy View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anyone tying the slide awnings down. Do you just toss a line over the middle and tighten down onto the top of the slideout? I could see something like that helping to prevent wind damage (unless the wind is really crazy), though my worry would be if it would apply unusually directed strain on the awning connections.
Very similar to what we do, if we expect winds of 20+ knots. I have two 1/4" nylon lines, one for each of our two slides. Tie a tossing weight (I use a nylon brush with a hole in the handle.), toss the brush/handle over to the span the top of the slide topper. The lines have two loops tied in at a predetermined length. I then use a bungee cord to hook the two loops together. This provides enough tension to keep the tops taught, and some give via the bungee. (I actually did this to help keep water from building up on the top in the rain. But found the toppers wind flapping noise was not as noticeable too. Dog really is easily spooked, so now I do it as much for wind as I do the rain puddling avoidance.)

One other tip, is we fond our large front slide, which is a combo topper awning from Carfee (Omega II line as I recall), that the tensioner spring was about 1/2 to 1 turn too lose. By adjusting toppers that have the roll up spring to remain some steady tension, it also helps in moderate winds too.

We have air leveling, no jacks. 9 times out of 10 we're fine. But, we will rock a bit, especially if we're broadside to the wind. Though perhaps redundant in equipment, more weight, and extra things to maintain - I can see the advantage of having both air leveling and jacks.

Oh, and in large gusty sirens going off type weather, we do bring in the slides!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote