Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Window blinds

Can RV window blinds be restrung? I have one blind where the string that runs through it has frayed and parted. The fabric of the blind it's self is like new. It's your typical(?) type of RV blind with the two levels of opacity.
Is it pooched or can I restring it?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #2

You can restring with a kit usually found at a rv store.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Here's a source.
http://www.fixmyblinds.com/RV-Day-Ni...arts-s/134.htm

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

Yes, go ahead and give it a shot. Plan to use a nice big flat table, and of course be patient. Nervous, impatient, and fidgety people should not attempt. My worst problem was by-standers giving me advice, then arguing with each other. 😳
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Read the directions that come with the kit and it is very easy to do. As previous poster advised get a large flat table to work on
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool, thanks guys.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #7

There are many videos on YouTube showing how to re-string day/nite shades.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

I just restrung two blinds on my coach using cord I purchased at Hobby Lobby. It is slightly thicker (1.8mm) than the original but worked out well. It was $0.25/yd. Study the string layout that you see online so you understand how your blind is strung.

This sit Blind & Shade Repair Instructions | Instructional Videos | Printable Instructions | FixMyBlinds.com has a video that will help you understand the process. Choose the RV Day/Night Shades from the drop down list on the top right of the page.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool, thanks!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Depending on how long you have had the shades and where they are mounted you might want to consider the heavier cord. The blind we had in the front bunk window was hung at an angle and continually wore out the thin cotton cord. We replaced it with fishing line the fourth time it was restrung. One of the blinds in our current DP failed but it appeared to be an install issue or defective blind and was replaced under warranty. We've had no issues since.

X3 on the large table. I did mine on the floor and it wasn't easy.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As the others have said,study the valances to see how to take them off and replace them, follow the instructions in the kit,lay it out on a large table ,take your time and have a lot of PATIENCE. Another tip is to get yourself a darning needle,one of those with a large eye, and use it to thread the cord thru the holes of the shade. It really cuts down the time and stress. To give her credit,the DW suggested that.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #12

Day night shades

We've had to restring 4 of 5 shades in our Journey. First we watched the Youtube videos several times but they make it look easy.
Two vertical screws on both inside ends hold the blinds up inside the valance top plus a plastic clip in the top center for the wider blinds. Use a flat blade screw driver to pry the clip open from the window side and release the blind from the valance. Removing the screen and opening the window helps access to the clip.
I used a 6' piece of SS safety wire for a pull through, making a flat loop on one end to capture the string for pulling through the fabric and aluminum channels. Be sure the plastic guide inserts are snug in the aluminum channels or the string will cut again quickly on the bare aluminum. Test the string for freedom of movement as you thread it through the channels. The top spring should slide freely horizontally inside the top channel. The string can loop and/or twist on itself and you won't know it until it's rehung.
We used the top of the dinette table as a work bench and rubber bands to keep the blind together while working and rehanging. There is a steep learning curve and the 4th took a fraction of the time of the first.
For some reason the kits don't contain the clear plastic string tension spool that the string is tied to at the bottom of the valance. I've had to redrill this part with a 1/16th drill when the original holes break out.
bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Fantastic Link, I am sure it will be very helpful.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but do you have any recommendations for Replacement more Modern Blinds for my 07 Gulfstream

It has What feel like Paper and they don't fold up right and get all kinked up.

I would like a dual Shade one for day and one for night that is if High quality.

I have done several searches but not much luck finding anything helpful.

Ted.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Community Moderator

i just restrung mine last week. i bought the string at jo ann fabric store at $.59/yd. it has total 4 legs for each window i just needed to replace one of them. total cost was about $3.
after taking it apart, i drew the string routes on a piece of paper. it's not hard to restring but needed a little effort to figure out how to take the frame off the window.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window