Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Winds sensor awnings - how do you test?

OK I've heard that wind sensor awnings don't work well, but my 2003 DSDP has one.
Question is, how can you test if it works or not? The wind sensor light is on but does that mean the sensor works?

I always take in the awning when I think it is getting too windy, but I'd like to know if I'm gone will it work or not?

Thanks

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

Need to know the make/model of the Awning.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I periodically monitor the awning, especially if we're leaving it out. If I notice the wind is picking up I'll look for it to retract, which it always does. Ours retracts in even a moderate wind, so I'd know pretty quickly if if wasn't working.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #4

Your sensor may be different but my unscientific survey reveals that they are entirely unpredictable. Mine works some of the time. Others in my group have sensors that work when a dog runs by. Still others will still have their awing extended in a tornado. I usually pull the awing in when we leave unless I have it tied to the ground.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #5

I tested mine using my air compressor. I did it a few times varying the amount of air pressure.

I will say that it wasn't scientific in anyway!

Just wanted to see if it would work? It did!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the replies so far.
Matter of fact, we are under a tornado and or severe thunderstorm watch this afternoon so the the awnings are in!

The sensor is in an awkward position, I can't reach it from the side because when the awning is out, it blocks access to the sensor, its in about 2-3 ft in from the end.

I can't get up on the roof anymore because it seems I've developed an irrational fear of heights in the last few years (go figure after nearly 30 years in the army!).

So I guess there is no easy answer yet for me. Maybe my BIL will go on the roof for me with a hair dryer or a feed from my air compressor?

I just want to know, does it work?

Thanks

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
I can't get up on the roof anymore because it seems I've developed an irrational fear of heights in the last few years (go figure after nearly 30 years in the army!).
I've learned that some of the "irrational fears" we develop as we get older are well founded.

I was recently in the Asheville, NC area, and decided to take my son to Sliding Rock, which is basically a giant flat rock face, tilted on its side with a river running over it and a water pool at the bottom. I had fond memories of sliding down as a 15 year old boy and insisted on doing it again at age 49 and over 400 lbs.

Well long story short, I've satisfied ANY urge I might ever have to go careening down a slippery piece of solid rock at 50 MPH into a watery pool. I nearly drowned!

I think I heard everyone in the crowd gasp as I went plunging down towards nearly certain death or injury! Luckily neither occurred, but I won't be pressing my luck again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #8

Easy to test. STOP RETRACTING IT WHEN THE WIND IS GETTIN UP.

Leave it out to see if it works.

Mine has 3 sensitivity settings. I tried it first on the Low setting and it was too sensitive. Then stepped up to Med and High depending on how much the wind is getting up.

After a while I learned to trust it. It does work well.

I must say that if sit I Gusty wind, leave it retracted as it can blow the thing around pretty good before the sensor detects it.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #9

There is one test that will help your peace of mind. Leave the awning our about a foot when high winds are expected. You will hear the "clunk" noise when it retracts and will know it works and at what wind velocity.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wind Sensor

Mine has never worked. I could replace the sensor and/or control unit but I probably wouldn't trust it. So why bother?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The problem with wind sensors is they look for "sustained" winds... it's usually the errant "gust" that gets them!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
To test the awning I used a broom. Jingled the awning like wind was blowing and it retracted just fine. Mine is a Carefree with three settings and I leave it on low. Actually I think the sensor is testing movement versus the wind. If my awning starts moving around a lot for whatever reason it will retract.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning