Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Finished mine.Attachment 246877 It turned out ok have about$50 in it.

At the beach and what a difference, I used 90% sunblock screen.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #16

Made mine used sunbrella white in color 60 percent reduction works great keeps heat out
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I removed the screws that hold the left & right windshield trim on. 3 on each side. I then reinstalled the trim pieces with a snap and pop rivet. Mating snap on cover. It is a stretch fit(nice and tight) has never blown off. It does take a ladder to install and remove.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #18
WDW

You’ve inspired me to make our own for the side windows.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
You’ve inspired me to make our own for the side windows.
I made my own for the sides after I bought a MagneShade for the windshield. I used the 90% sunblock, sewed 1" folded nylon seam tape on the edges and used strong neodymium black powder coated magnets in pockets. I made covers for six windows for less than what one would have cost.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I made my own for the sides after I bought a MagneShade for the windshield. I used the 90% sunblock, sewed 1" folded nylon seam tape on the edges and used strong neodymium black powder coated magnets in pockets. I made covers for six windows for less than what one would have cost.

Where did you get the magnets. Did you permanently affix the windshield ones on inside? With what?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Where did you get the magnets. Did you permanently affix the windshield ones on inside? With what?

Just completed making our own as well. We did the windshield, drivers side, passenger side(3 windows) behind the TV, bathroom and wiper guards. We used 90% Solar Black Textilene that I found on eBay. We had 10 yards of solar screen, 1 yard of sunbrella material and 95 feet of binding. We calculated everything ahead of time by getting the dimensions of all the windows. For the pockets we used black sunbrella material and the binding we used 3/4 inch sunbrella bInding. We used UV coated 100% polyester for the thread. The magnets we used a combination of black and silver with various strengths and thicknesses based on the size of the window and whether we were placing the magnets outside or inside the window. When placing outside, we used a 3M bInding liquid which is used for glass that can get wet to make sure the glue does not degrade. In ours, we wanted to be able to use some of them while driving so we placed some magnets inside so the shade can be used while moving to decrease the heat gain from the sun. Our total cost for all the material was a little over $200 with more than 1/2 being the cost the magnets. We did create some patterns for the windows using a product that was like waxed construction paper. It was great for the windshield. You can find it on amazon if you search for “better than paper”. Nice product.

The hardest part for me was the sewing. Even though I own a sewing machine, I had never sewed before. That was a learning experience for an IT guy. Kinda fun actually. I had to practice on a few items before I was confident I could make a shade. In the end, I am sure a more experienced person could do better, but they are acceptable .

Getting them on and off is really easy and they definitely keep the coach cooler. We are in the middle of a bunch of renovations and this was one we wanted to get done. I’m happy to answer any questions if someone else wants to try making their own.
mhhorowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhhorowi View Post
Just completed making our own as well. We did the windshield, drivers side, passenger side(3 windows) behind the TV, bathroom and wiper guards. We used 90% Solar Black Textilene that I found on eBay. We had 10 yards of solar screen, 1 yard of sunbrella material and 95 feet of binding. We calculated everything ahead of time by getting the dimensions of all the windows. For the pockets we used black sunbrella material and the binding we used 3/4 inch sunbrella bInding. We used UV coated 100% polyester for the thread. The magnets we used a combination of black and silver with various strengths and thicknesses based on the size of the window and whether we were placing the magnets outside or inside the window. When placing outside, we used a 3M bInding liquid which is used for glass that can get wet to make sure the glue does not degrade. In ours, we wanted to be able to use some of them while driving so we placed some magnets inside so the shade can be used while moving to decrease the heat gain from the sun. Our total cost for all the material was a little over $200 with more than 1/2 being the cost the magnets. We did create some patterns for the windows using a product that was like waxed construction paper. It was great for the windshield. You can find it on amazon if you search for “better than paper”. Nice product.

The hardest part for me was the sewing. Even though I own a sewing machine, I had never sewed before. That was a learning experience for an IT guy. Kinda fun actually. I had to practice on a few items before I was confident I could make a shade. In the end, I am sure a more experienced person could do better, but they are acceptable .

Getting them on and off is really easy and they definitely keep the coach cooler. We are in the middle of a bunch of renovations and this was one we wanted to get done. I’m happy to answer any questions if someone else wants to try making their own.
I made shades for our coach, but now I want to add the magnets versus suction cups. May need to modify them a bit, but no problem. Where did you find the magnets and for outside, what is the name of the liquid 3M glue?
Old 06-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
I made shades for our coach, but now I want to add the magnets versus suction cups. May need to modify them a bit, but no problem. Where did you find the magnets and for outside, what is the name of the liquid 3M glue?

https://www.sailrite.com/3M-Silane-G...SABEgI5efD_BwE

silane glass treatment. You use it before using the 3M tape and it helps the tape bond.

I bought he magnets on amazon.

Here are some examples.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSTKTSF..._9qReDb262ANXV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BX26D7W..._3rReDb5YHQHWY

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZ2VMG8..._CsReDb77HJ7XA

If you do not learn how to sew, each shade can be built fairly quickly. Take care when figuring out where the magnets should go. One thing to be careful with is spacers need where windows are not flat (sliding windows).
Old 06-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #24

Quote:

The windshield are all inside. There are some outside for the driver’s side and then the two back windows. Post above has links on amazon for magnets. I used the 1/4 inch think magnets for the windshield because that’s a pretty heavy shade. It does up very nicely and stays in place. I’m happy with it as a DIY project.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #25

Quote:

The magnets are stuck to the glass with 3M double side tape. I used the one on amazon that match the diameter of the magnets. Most of the magnets come with the tape pre cut.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradc344 View Post
A word of caution if you use the magnets be very careful handling them the can hurt you if the are aloud to come together

That’s for sure. The trick to separating the magnets is to always slide the away from each other. Do not pull them apart as they can snap back together and hurt you. Hold on tight . It’s a challenge when you have a bunch to put together. At one point I had 7 or 8 boxes of magnets all in a heap.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhhorowi View Post
That’s for sure. The trick to separating the magnets is to always slide the away from each other. Do not pull them apart as they can snap back together and hurt you. Hold on tight . It’s a challenge when you have a bunch to put together. At one point I had 7 or 8 boxes of magnets all in a heap.
This is the window shades I made that need to be converted to having magnets. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170624_175904.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	251182
Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady puffin View Post
This is the window shades I made that need to be converted to having magnets. Attachment 251182

Adding the pockets and the magnets will be straightforward.

Here are the ones we created.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bG7...raw#Tucson,_AZ

Tags
cover, windshield