Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Keep in mind, if you want to stop heat, you need to stop it outside the coach.

We've tried interior shades, but once the heat gets through the glass, it's inside the coach and will circulate. We just ordered a MagneShade for our coach.
We used Reflectix on our prior coach and weren't very happy with the results for exactly the reason stated by Don. Unless you're able to get the Reflectix pressed up against the full expanse of glass, the airspace between the glass and Reflectix becomes a solar oven. That heat continuously escapes around the edges of the Reflectix. Plus, it's like living in a cave.

We installed Magne Shades on the cockpit windows of our current coach, a little expensive, but, seem to be very well made and durable. We have been very happy with them. Easy on/off, easy to store, the initial install was easily accomplished with the help of DW. Although the view is restricted through the Magne Shade, it seems well worth the heat reduction and the privacy offered.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #16

Another vote for magnashade. I have had a little problem with magnets occasionally coming loose, (due to close fit of a metal fitting on window shade) but fixed with no problem. Even asked the folks at Magnashade for some more stick on dots which they sent quickly with no problem. That was due to installation of a new windshield. Good folks at Magnashade!
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ordered mine a week ago. Hoping it comes before I go to AZ for a wedding.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #18

One more vote for Magna Shade. I put them on our previous coach, but we did it in January, so no before/after. Just got our new coach and ordered Magna Shades for it. They arrived the day before a trip so we packed them and headed out. Temps here have been hot. 102-105.
Didn't have time to install the first couple of days. Even though the A.C. was keeping us cool, you could really feel the heat in the front of the coach. The third day we installed the MS. The difference is pretty amazing. Even in the late afternoon when the sun hits the windshield, there is no heat to be felt. Very happy ( again ). They are somewhat expensive, but if you amoritize it over the life of the coach it's not bad at all.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #19

Windshield Covers

Had 2 friends who were not happy with the Reflectix windshield cover also. Both changed to the Magne Shade and are happy they did.
Don PV Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #20
YC1

The company that made ours was just a few miles from here before they retired which is a shame. I slip the passenger side over a bracket, begin unrolling it to the drivers side and around. My wife reaches out to grab the heavy duty rubber bunjie with the hook on it and pulls it to the drivers window edge. I can do it myself by placing a small folding stool under the drivers side window.

Not much use here but if it does not mount on the outside and with the ease I mention then it will not work nearly as well nor will you be inclined to install it.

We live in Central Florida and have our RV parked with the front window to the South. You can bake bread inside without the cover on and two ac's don't stand a chance of keeping it cool. Yes you can use reflextic stuff on the inside but then no light or view. You can see out the front during the day or night and cannot see in during the day. At night you can see in so our normal drapes are pulled then.

I have not looked at any shades in a long time but having to snap something on would not be a choice I would make.

I have actually built a similiar shade for my huge side windows and use just three rare earth magnets to hold the top and two suction cups on the bottom corners. It is very rare for it to come off in any winds.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #21

I wish there were awnings available for the front of the coach that work like the side window awnings.
I need to look at the Magna shade. I did not realize you could see through them during the day. I do not like not being able to see out.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #22

Another vote for MagneShade. Installed them this spring to the front and driver's window. Our units sits most of the summer at an annual rental until we're ready to travel somewhere.

So far, even with severe storms and high winds we have not had them come off and the magnets held.

Well pleased with the product.

Tags
cover, wind, windshield