Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
WRP

Windshield covers

I have a Class A motor home. Go to Florida in the winter. What are your experience with windshield covers . Brands Etc
WRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 04:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For good function with a good price I use material from EZ Snap. There are others of course...but too expensive for me.
https://ezsnapdirect.com/products/rv-shades/
Old 08-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #3

We have used our MagnaShade for 6 years. We winter in Arizona sun which can destroy many materials, but our shade still looks new.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #4

Manga shade for us.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We have had MagneShade all around the front on our Phaeton and now our Bus. They are very effective. We went to Mocksville to have the Shades for the new Bus and they did a great install. These folks are great. We arrived the day before our appointment and plugged into one of their 50amp plugs and spent they night.
HenryRH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Do you sit in one place so long it makes it worthwhile to put an external cover on? The gang is usually too excited to go out and DO something to take the time

Always thought they would block the view and first thing we do when decent in the morning is open up the blinds to see the gee-or-gee-ous views out the front like on our recent Florida trip - Destin West, Avalon Landing, Perdido Key, and Santa Rosa, all rate the name resort !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1692.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	296485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	296486  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	296487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IZSU6504.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	296488  

Old 08-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #7

I have a MagneShade and love it. Easy up and down, easy to pack away. And you can see out of it. I had a reflective rollout in my windshield in Florida, and it worked well for keeping the heat out of the motorhome. A rain shower came up on a real hot day and when the water hit the windshield it cracked it top to bottom. It was loud inside,surprised me for sure. There was a small stone chip but I believe the reflective material super heated the glass and the cold rain hitting it caused the crack. Keep the heat off the windshield. don't allow the glass to heat up.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #8

We use reflectex inside the windsheild when its in the sun. I cut it to fit from a roll we bought from an RV store. It's easy to put up and take down and works very well at keeping the heat out. I would not like having the windsheild covered all the time because we enjoy having our picture window to look out.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We use MagneShade and also insulated the inside the front cap (behind the TV above the windshield) and that has made a HUGE deference in the heat build up - up front.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:41 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
MagnaShade is the way to go. It is pricier but you get a material that will stand up to the sun and it is easy to put on and off. I also use their tire shields for the same reason
Old 08-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our coach has custom snap on shades, for all the front windows, windshield and the door. Magna shades are good but be advised the earth magnets are not safe for anyone with a pace maker and my father has one so I have to be aware of that. As far as what a screen shade will do, its see-thru from inside during the day and the opposite at night, and most important they help drop the temp inside the coach as much as 30 degrees with the AC working. Well worth it just for that.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #12

I made an interior shade using this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Gar...020R/100533825 , some grommets and small suction cups with hook on them. Great for a quick up and down. Blocks heat and gives privacy. In more extreme heat situations i also put up the outside shades.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Keep in mind, if you want to stop heat, you need to stop it outside the coach. On our 2005 Monaco Diplomat, we ordered MCD shades when we bought it new. They were the type that snapped on, which required a ladder to install. I found I was able to remove them with the awning rod, no ladder. If you're only staying some place for a short time, the snaps end up being too much work and I found I rarely used the shades.

We've tried interior shades, but once the heat gets through the glass, it's inside the coach and will circulate. We just ordered a MagneShade for our coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I would not be parked without my shades. They came with the coach so I do not know brand. They keep front of coach a little cooler and stop sun fade on the dash. Try to find a replacement dash!

Tom 07 National Pacifica TE40B
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, wind, windshield