Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Windshield crack repair

I just returned from a trip. My MH has two separate front windshields.
A year ago, a rock hit my driver side windshield at the bottom right side corner. At this time I had it repaired by a local repairman.
During this recent trip a 4 inch crack developed in the right corner, from corner to corner. While on this trip a car passed me and a rock hit the middle, bottom of the passenger side. This created a large star type crack, about an inch across. From this star a 4 inch crack developed upward.

I was thinking about purchasing a windshield kit and repairing it myself.
Or can I do this or should it be left to a professional?

Or I may have to replace both sides?

Thanks..................
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #2

As our esteemed 007 would say "Here's some information for the DIYer one of many Quick Tips & Easy Mods in Newmar forum."

The repair as a DIY is straight forward, but the specialized tools, namely the vacuuming of the chip to remove moisture and the like, make a pro fix far better. Given your insurance will most likely cover a chip repair, it might make more sense to go pro - in the $50-$75 range, the crack might add to the cost.

I would add that IF you intend to have a chip repaired (either DIY or pro) immediately as soon as it happens pull over and cover the chip completely with tape. Cleanliness and dryness are the most critical factors for the repair resin to adhere properly and leaving that chip hole exposed it will get moisture and dirt and bug juice in it lessening the repair.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Cracks and chips are different. Any reputable glass repair tech will tell you. They can and do repair a chip very successfully and prevent the cracking of the glass. I have had several rpaired with very good satisfaction.

However, the cracked glass is a safety concern and not just for the possible visual problem. The glass can implode toward the driver/passenger and is a structural part of the windshield. Please consult a reputable glass tech and your insurance people.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If a crack is radiating from the star chip, it is time to replace the windshield. Cracks are not really repairable.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I must disagree with "Cracks are not really repairable." I just was in today to have 3 yes 3 rock chips fixed on the wife's car. And I have the lower left corner crack in the passenger side MH window. The tech said that they have good results stopping the cracks. They stop drill the crack then do the glue repair. If adding the pressure of the drill the crack goes on they say replace. The Tech said the repair success of the cracks is not near the 100% they have with the chips but still a good percentage. Said the cost would be about $45. I did see a lot of the crack fixs in AZ this winter and the owners were comfortable with the repair. As to inploded winscreen, just how many cars have you seen driving around with enough crack you would think they could not see out of and still no implotion. Also many moons ago I had kid chuck a 6" rock off a freeway bridge and wacked my windsceen dead center and it did not penetrate, don't think a crack will do it. JMT

LEN