Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Windshield DIY

We just bought a 2002 HR Admiral which has a large crack in the drivers side windshield. I'm looking at replacing the windshield and seal myself and would appreciate advice from others who have done theirs.

I have done a number of cars in the past with rubber seals and also the glue-in kind.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 03:39 PM   #2

Experience helps.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #3

I have seen links to vids Google/utube shared . I would suggest a painters scaffold. Good luck with your project.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:03 AM   #4

Better have two friends to help you and the correct equipment. I watched our windshield get replaced twice and it is not simple task. Also it you break it, will you have saved any money?
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:27 AM   #5

Scaffolding is a really good idea, maybe backing a pickup to it and stand on the tailgate. We watched them install a coach windshield and they used suction cup handles. They were very big and had hand pumps on them to create the vacuum. Extra people is a good idea as the glass is heavy.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If it still has the original rubber seal, I would change it. They seem to shrink and also wear over time, so it won't be as tight a fit as you may need to keep the rain out.

But it is really a "wind" shield, not a "rain" shield!

We had rolls of butel that we put in the channel to help seal the windshields on Peterbilts before the days of "glue in".
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #7

Yes I plan to replace the seal for sure. 20 yrs. old...

I guess my main question is where to use poly caulk. When doing rubber seal type windshields in the past I never used caulk.

I have read that the seal should be caulked to the RV & the glass float in the seal, but I have also seen people put caulk between the glass and the seal from outside.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmoonguru View Post
Yes I plan to replace the seal for sure. 20 yrs. old...

I guess my main question is where to use poly caulk. When doing rubber seal type windshields in the past I never used caulk.

I have read that the seal should be caulked to the RV & the glass float in the seal, but I have also seen people put caulk between the glass and the seal from outside.
The butyl strip goes in the groove that goes against the frame. It is the most likely area that needs sealing.

If you want an extra bit of peace of mind, you can put some on the winshield side, but with a new rubber, it should not be needed.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

When I put in rubber windshield gaskets that previously had some sealer on them, I use 3M "Bedding and Glazing compound". It's the correct stuff to use on stuff like 1960's pony cars when they stull had rubber gaskets. If you try to install a windshield without the extra sealer on a 1968 back Mustang, you're going to have wet feet. Period.
On the flip side, if it was originally installed without any additional sealer then it shouldn't need it now. An example being that back glass in like every domestic pickup truck (and many foreign) built until the late 1990's. No extra sealer on any of them ever and leaks were very rare.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #10

I just got a quote from RV Glass Parts for $920 with crate & shipping.

She told me the seals are typically left in & that they are "lifetime". I would normally say no but if it's also getting caulked maybe that's the case. This rig has spent it's life inside, then under a carport so the rubber actually looks fine.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #11

Might be something to that. I was going to put a new windshield in my 1981 Rabbit truck. I figured a new rubber gasket too but people on forums said the new reproduction ones were terrible. So I reused the old one. By the date code on the glass it was all original. Some two years later it's still sealed just fine. The only time it's been inside was for repairs. So at least one 40 year old windshield gasket seems to be doing fine after being reused. (No sealer)
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #12

Nice, I had a Rabbit pickup (Caddy)! It was built, redlined at 8,000 RPM. Fun truck.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #13

If you have glue on both sides , glass to rubber, rubber to frame , you will crack the windshield in most coaches.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:13 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
If you have glue on both sides , glass to rubber, rubber to frame , you will crack the windshield in most coaches.
It's not a solid glue. Butyl is flexible, and remains so. It's more of a sealent than an adhesive, so the windshield can move to some extent.

Tags
diy, wind, windshield