RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

windshield washer tubing rant

Trying to find correct size windshield washer tubing for 2007 Coachmen Mirada is driving me nuts. (I put this in general forum, Class A, because i assume many brands use same type windshield washer system).

Ordered wrong thing from Amazon -
WRONG!>> ANCO 78-764 "Windshield Washer Wet Arm Tubing kit: 1 each: 3/32 ID, 72" length ; 7/64 ID, 72" length"
This was my fault for not measuring correctly.

Ordered wrong thing from Oreilly Auto Parts -
WRONG! >> Gates 27038 vacum tubing 5/32 (4mm) ID.
This was Oreilly guy fault as he said it was 1/4 OD but it is more like a tight 5/16. - will not go thru wiper arm spring.

Problem: Both OD and ID must be matched for this application since the tubing must pass through the spring in the wiper arm! Most common vacum hose has too thick walls.

Rants: 1. Why dont the motorhome mfrs identify at least specs, or specs AND mfr/part numbers on expected-wear parts?????
2. Have people become so tech-stupid as to think they dont need to list dimensions of stuff like vacum hose online? None list OD. Some dont even list ID, just a part number! This DIY person cant take advantage of digital-world efficiency without the proper information.
(Rant over).

Im headed to NAPA to see if they can match it up later.
If not, I have measured the old hose OD at close to 6mm and also determined 5/32 (close to 4mm) ID will go on the barbs. And have identified Viton tubing PN 5102K42 4mm ID, 6mm OD at McMaster Carr. It is claimed to be UV resistant at $3.70 /ft.
Any other suggestions?
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! I would have thought that most any auto parts store would have plenty of that rubber tubing!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd have taken a piece of the old tubing with me to make sure it matches up.

It's hard to believe there is such a problem in finding a WW hose. Wow!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Try ACE Hardware. Especially if you have a piece to take with you.

Good Luck!
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Call Diesel Equipment Co 800 222 7159 They handle all kinds of window wash stuff
jeflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've never had to replace the tubing, guess I've been lucky!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #7

Update to original post: NAPA had some that is really too small ID but i could force it on the nipples. I think it is 7/64" ID but really stretchy. It was also small enough OD to go thru the wiper arm spring. I bought enough (3 ft for $1.25) to fix the leaking hose and pressed it on. The ends on the nipples are highly stretched so i dont know how long it will last.

I also found and ordered 25 ft of viton tubing from Amazon (PRIME) for about same as 6 ft price at McMaster Carr. Here is title of what i ordered: "High Temperature Viton Rubber Tubing, Very Flexible, Black, Opaque, 60A Durometer, 4mm ID, 6mm OD, 1mm Wall, 25' Length". Price was $23.52. When i bring it up now (day after i ordered it), there is none for that price. - it is now priced at $119.62. I dont know if they had it mispriced or what. It should be here in a day or so - will update when i get it to confirm it is the right stuff or not.

I would also like to clarify i am replacing only the hose on the outside of the motorhome. The inside hose will not have the OD requirement. (except maybe where it passes thru firewall).
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote