RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #15

Heatseaker-The storage dilemma is real; My solution is to empty the bottles before storage, that way you don't have to worry about dry corks ruining the wine, excess sloshing (of the wine) ruining the wine, or excess temp in the basement doing the same. I'm available to consult with you on your dilemma....I'll bring my glass.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Of coarse there is always box wines. Something like Black Box are decent wine and even Bota Box isn't bad.
For reds, box wines are very good as they do not go bad the way red in the bottle does a day or two after opening. However, if you consume a full bottle in a single day,it doesn't get a chance to go bad
jtulloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #17

The heck about Geo Method, Rear vs Side Radiator, Slide vs Non Slide vs Non Slide Plumbing, Tag vs Non Tag, etc. ---- THIS IS A SUBJECT OF VITAL IMPORTANCE TO RV TRAVELING!!!

As with the complexity of how to get good Data while traveling, this subject requires many tools in the arsenal to 'Be Prepared!'.

Warning. For those that just what a few bottles or boxes of vino around, don't bother reading. Just toss out some canned food, and stash them wherever you can....

OK - Here is our current methodology:

1) Our retirement budget was hit heavily by the impact of ACA on Pre 65 with no subsidy. So the reality is we do budget our expenses on wine. That is the bad part, as we had a pretty decent appetite for moderate priced wines before then! So, we've added Box Wine to our travels for mid week consumption.

-Bota Cabernet, Old Vine Zin (Not easy to locate in all states! And dang it, the DW's favorite weekday vino.), and when we can find it Loft Cabernet. We have a Low Limit set of 4 boxes each of Zin and mix of the two mentioned Cabernet's. Once we break into that 4th box of either - we're on "Wine Patrol!".

Boxes pack easily, don't rattle or break. And when bought in the Western Side of the USA at say Safeway/Von's when on sale and then buy 6 and get the 10% 6 Pack discount - it's a real bargain at ~$4.25 per bottle! (Loft is more expensive, and hard to fine, but even at over $20 - a good value.)

2) We travel Costco to Costco, and stock up on bottle wines! My wife's Zin craving is covered by Old Vine $9.99 bottles of Kirkland Zin! I make a came out of trying different red's for under $14.99, and quite often down to under $10. Cab's, Red Blends, Etc.. We'll travel with about three cases of these moderate price wines. We have the bottles for when entertaining, and allocate two bottles for the weekend.

3) Our Friday night (Or other special occasions too...) vino's. We're still members of Tobin James and Justin Wineries (And two others...). So we travel with another three cases of these better quality wines. I also will watch for Kirkland Signature Red's. For example, Kirkland's Signature Cabernet from Stags Leap, is a real value. We'll but a few cases of these to stash in our Vacation Home to age, as well as some of their other Signature Red's too. We'll bring a case of Old Stock with us when we travel.

Where the heck to we put all of these? (And thank goodness we have over 11K of CCC on our coach!).

> J-Sofa Lounge with a cushion that comes off with underneath storage. 5 cases in their boxes with their dividers in place fit in the middle. We wrap another few cases of bottles individually, and stash them around the back and front of these cases.

> Upper cabinet Vino and Mix Drinks supplies (Not much on that front, we like an occasional Vodka Martini or good Scotch. With a few bottles of the Drambuie for Rusty Nails on cold nights around a campfire.) So we keep a rotated mix of a case of wine, and these spirits in an overhead cabinet.

> Lower Cabinet with drawer. We had OMC build us a cabinet that is as deep as our J-Lounge. Added a slide out shelf, and box wines on their sides stack two deep high on the loser shallow slide out shelf. A total of 8 boxes of Both/Loft can stack in his locations for travel.

====

Now it sounds like we're a rolling mix of different beverages! But to be fair, we go out for 4-5 months trips at a time, and we are fully stocked before deployment from our home... With restocking as needed along the way. Very common for us to have two or three couples over and next thing you know 3-4 bottles of vino is gone. (And sometimes, well not real frequently - we can actually gain a bottle over what we extend - with the right company!).

And it's a hobby my wife and I both worked for as we prepared for retirement. I actually had a line item on my Can We Do It retirement spread sheet for monthly vino expenses! Yes, in place of bottles we now will mostly drink boxes - but we somehow press on...

Always enjoy reading the creative solutions that others have come up with for traveling and storing vino on the road...

Cheers to all, and travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
Thanks everybody. This is what I went with.
heatseaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #19

Wine Rack??? I just spent an hour looking for spots for a beer kegerator. I'm thinking tearing out the sink area and just buy paper plates. Dishes are highly overrated and I believe in supporting the local restaurants..........

Its all priorities folks......
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote