Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winegard Rayzar Automated Antenna and Girard Awnings

OK, will try to answer several questions I've seen addressing the Winegard Rayzar Automated HD OTA Antenna and its compatibility with a "busy" RV roof. Our Winegard Motorized Sensar antenna failed on our last trip, in the up position of course!! I did a search for a replacement and discovered they are obsolete. I found the Winegard Rayzar Automated HD antenna but with much discussion and debate as to its viability on a coach with a "busy" roof. In our case "busy" is defined as 3 air conditioner/heat pumps, a domed satellite antenna, 2 full length Girard awnings and awning facades on the driver side and 3 Fantastic Fans with rain covers. I ordered the Rayzar 8500 from Amazon and it arrived this AM (Thanks Amazon Prime).

I pulled the Sensar antenna and discovered just a 2" hole penetration for the coax and the power cable for antenna motor. The "X" represents the placement of the new Rayzar antenna so you can see the relationship to the Girard awning to the right. (Note: I spoke to Winegard Tech Support, they stated maintaining a 12 inch clearance with surrounding metal would be sufficient for the antenna to work without interference.)

I connected the 72" coax to the existing coax with a female coax coupler (would be nice if Winegard included one in their retrofit kit).

I then placed the Rayzar Antenna in the middle of the coach roof ensuring adequate clearance from surrounding metal objects.

I then went into the coach and replaced the Sensar power panel with the Rayzar control panel.

Prior to removing the Sensar antenna I manually placed it in the "up" position and performed a TV channel scan; the TV reported 24 channels. Of the 24 channels, several of them were unwatchable due to pixilation and interference (I could not aim the antenna as the motor is dead AND I'm doing this in a metal garage with the doors open.)

After installing the Rayzar control panel I fired the system up and executed a channel scan. In about two minutes the LEDs stopped and the panel readout indicated 5 RF frequencies were located. I then performed a TV channel scan; the TV reported 25 channels. While stepping through the channels I discovered 1 that was pixilated, all the others were viewable with outstanding reception. I did not try to fine tune the antenna.

I will complete the installation of the antenna on Wednesday when the Dicor sealant arrives but for now, with a data point of "one" I'm very impressed with the initial performance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

Looking forward to seeing how this works when you get it out of the garage!!

We added the Rayzar Automatic about 6 months ago. At the same time, as I wanted a raisable mast to attach WiFi antenna to. So I also added a new Sensar IV manual antenna too. I figured sense I wanted a raisable mast, might as well add the new IV too. These are A/B switched into the TV, with the Rayzar Automatic being usually on.

I have found that the majority of the time, the Rayzar Automatic brings in all of the local channels that we use to augment our DirecTV. Only twice have I "B"'d over to the Sensar IV, on a fringe channel connection. And yes, it's raised and directional antenna, did bring in the channel. (Note: The Rayzar Automatic is manually adjustable, with a slick reconnection on where to point it, for optional channels. It picks direction that locks in on the highest volume of channels, and then leaves 'markers' in other directions you could point the automatic to try other channels.) I'd swag it the way I read it on another review. Say I'm 20 miles form a source with good line of sight, the automatic handles this well. But if I'm at say 25-30 miles away, and the automatic is having trouble holding the station. The IV will usually be able to bring that in.

My wife really likes the ability to 'just push a button', at the same time she raises the satellite for DirecTV - so it is the KISS approach!

Please let us know what you find out with out and about channel watching.

Oh, and if you find those awning rails are just too much of a PITA for your Automatic - just let me know where your are, and I'll come by and take that rig off your hands...

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Finished the install today. Centered the antenna mount position on the roof, installed mount hardware and sealed per Winegard directions. Then I added three metal Adel clamps on the coax to ensure the coax doesn't flex going down the road. Then added the roof seal over the coax exit and "wet" filled all of the old antenna fastener holes with new hardware and Dicor seal. I then removed the control panel and ensured the coax connectors were all well below the control panel mount opening (electrical short risk). When I re-ran the antenna scan I came up with two "aim points", 7 frequencies on one and 6 on the other. Again the TV reception was exceptional!

Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

Is this still working for you? I am about to order one to replace my POS stock antenna.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
Is this still working for you? I am about to order one to replace my POS stock antenna.
The first antenna failed with dreaded "E3" fault (motor movement error). I contacted Winegard, they sent a replacement. The replacement unit has been flawless... I actually prefer it over cable due to picture quality! I believe Winegard had production issues with the earl antennas...

Tags
antenna, awning