Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #1

Wingard VHF/UHF Rooftop Antenna

The Winguard rooftop antenna on my recently purchased 1992 Coachmen 360RD Class A, was broken when I purchased the MH. Only the actually top part (Antenna) was damaged. Can just the Antenna be replaced? And if so, what is a good HD Antenna since I've put HD flat screens in the MH since purchase.

Thank you,
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Here is a link to look at.

Winegard Rayzar Air Amplified TV Antenna

I am on the last few days of my maiden voyage in my new to me Pace Arrow. The link above is what I'm converting to. I have a similar product in my S&B and it works well beyond what I expected. It should be a simple unbolt and replace the old mast with the new. You do need to inquire if you need the power amplifier. Amazon is where I have ordered mine.
Good Luck.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #3

If you have the "bat wing" it's still current, and works as well as anything else out there in my estimation. Yes, available separately, and not very expensive. There are 2 versions. Amplified, and non amplified. Amplified use power supplied to them through an amp that is usually about the same size as a switch plate in your house, containing an on/off switch, a small red LED, and often, a 12v recep.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Just replaced the head on a 1999 Rexhall aerbus. When I went up on the roof, the coax was pretty bad so replaced it as well. Coax replacement requires taking the base of the antenna off, but it gave me chance to reseal everything. Great reception with the amplified antenna.
56safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the original antenna was a Winegard Sensar (Batwing) there are two replacement heads

One is the Sensar.. I suggest a Sensar IV head as it is the best

The other is the Jack, Jack is better if TV towers are closer in and scattered over a wide arc. Sensar better if they are farther away.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
Here is a link to look at.

Winegard Rayzar Air Amplified TV Antenna

I am on the last few days of my maiden voyage in my new to me Pace Arrow. The link above is what I'm converting to. I have a similar product in my S&B and it works well beyond what I expected. It should be a simple unbolt and replace the old mast with the new. You do need to inquire if you need the power amplifier. Amazon is where I have ordered mine.
Good Luck.
This is good advice although I would point out you can get the rayzar from winegard directly. I spoke with winegard about switching to this antenna and will probably do so when the weather is cooler. I asked for the actual specs and this antenna has the same specs as their best Yagi ( sensar ) antenna. It is a planar antenna. The advantage of this one over the sensar is that it is a true yagi antenna. It gets the maximum signal pointed in the one direction that you have it turned to. The planar recievers signals front and back. With a yagi you have a short area you cannot turn the antenna to because of cable twisting. With the planar you still cannot turn in a 360 degree circle but the planar gets signals from the front and the back so it will get 360 degree coverage this way. Last time I looked the amplified antenna only version was 49.00 from winegard.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The RAYZAR retrofit kit (antenna head and short arm) is available from an iRV2 Forum sponsor at a very competitive price...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If you have the "bat wing" it's still current, and works as well as anything else out there in my estimation. Yes, available separately, and not very expensive. There are 2 versions. Amplified, and non amplified. Amplified use power supplied to them through an amp that is usually about the same size as a switch plate in your house, containing an on/off switch, a small red LED, and often, a 12v recep.
I believe the one I had was the bat wing style (I took it off and threw it away). Does the old style bat wing amplified model pick up HD tv?

Thanks,
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkiel View Post
I believe the one I had was the bat wing style (I took it off and threw it away). Does the old style bat wing amplified model pick up HD tv?

Thanks,
Yes, the old batwing will receive HD. The newer antennas are more optimized for the frequencies which many channels are now broadcasting on. Also, when you say "old" how old? There were some bat-wing antennas built in the 80s which will not perform well today due to design differences.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

There is no such thing as an "HD" tv antenna - HD is broadcast over the same frequencies as SD - it's only the content that is different. There is, however, a difference in newer antennas because in the digital age more and more stations have shifted to the UHF frequency band rather than VHF. Back in the day when nearly all tv was VHF, antennas were optimized for that band and only gave primitive support for UHFstation, but newer ones strive to handle both VHF and UHF equally well. The new Winegards are excellent at both.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
There is no such thing as an "HD" tv antenna - HD is broadcast over the same frequencies as SD - it's only the content that is different. There is, however, a difference in newer antennas because in the digital age more and more stations have shifted to the UHF frequency band rather than VHF. Back in the day when nearly all tv was VHF, antennas were optimized for that band and only gave primitive support for UHFstation, but newer ones strive to handle both VHF and UHF equally well. The new Winegards are excellent at both.
Good explanation!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Yes, the old batwing will receive HD. The newer antennas are more optimized for the frequencies which many channels are now broadcasting on. Also, when you say "old" how old? There were some bat-wing antennas built in the 80s which will not perform well today due to design differences.

Uh the old batwing was optimized for broadcast channels 2 through 69.. Though it was better at 2-13 than 14-69, Adding the wingman add-on fixes that and makes it a TRUE Vhf/UHF antenna.

The NEW frequencies: The very same channels 2-69, only there is a higher concentration in the higher numbers now days.

So,, The old or the new,, Not really a whole lot of diference, the frequencies, no difference at all when you look at the wide picture, However for any given call sign there may have been a migration up-band (or down in a few cases)
Old 08-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #13

FWIW...I just installed the new Rayzar and it was a) a simple job, and b) works great. At least in my front yard.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #14

TVformyRV what is the best upgrade on the market?.....Not cost wise necessarily....I see the Jack and the Rayzer as possible upgrade.....I understand the mount will be much different. I just want to do the best upgrade even if I have to do another mount.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, roof