Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Brave ductwork stuck on defrost only

Need help please. When I turn on my Winnebago Brave and then turn on the vent for cold air or air conditioning, the air only blows thru the defrost vents or ductwork. I turn the dial to the spot where it should blow right at you or at your feet and it does not seem to work, it only blows out the defrost vents. I'll take it in if I have to but I would like to try and fix myself if possible. Thanks for any advice to a new RV owner. It's a 2003 Winnebago Brave (Ford Chassis) 34D.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

My Tradewinds has a small vacuum pump that opens and closes dampers changing where the air goes. When the fuse blows it goes to default and opens the defrost damper for safety to keep the windshield clear.Since the fuse always blows I just ziptied the heater damper open to get heat. Not sure if yours is the same.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have a major leak in your vacuum.

This article will get you started. There are also some known hoses and fittings that deteriorate and leak on the F53 chassis.

Are you comfortable looking under the hood? if so look at these items, rub them with your fingers, if they leave a black powdery residue, they need to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacumm_Engine.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	90289  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #4

Hey thanks a bunch. Will reread and try and see if your comment applies.

WAITER21: Awesome. I can change those out if needed. My neighbor is a certified mechanic and he is very gracious about helping. thnx!
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, Not sure how the winny is laid out, but the F53 chassis is the same as mine.

I'm betting you will find a cracked, broken, or disconnected vacuum hose.

If your temp control is the same as mine (Evans tempcon) its easy to troubleshoot.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #6

The most likely problem is that the vacuum hose has been disconnected from the vacuum reservoir under the hood. There's a sphere shaped vacuum reservoir almost in the center of the hood opening at the top of the opening about a foot inside the engine compartment. It's hard to see unless you stick your head in the compartment and look up. It should have 2 hoses going to it. One from the engine and another (blue one) going to the heater controls.

The blue hose is routed near the oil dipstick and often gets pulled off the reservoir port when someone checks the oil.

There's also a second much larger rectangular shaped reservoir below the right headlight. From time to time I've seen the vacuum hose connector come loose on this reservoir as well.

A vacuum leak from either of these reservoirs will be small enough that you'll never notice any performance problems or set a "check engine" light. I would check these two reservoirs before tearing anything apart.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hikerdogs - Yup, that's what was wrong with mine - hose pulled off of round accumulator bottle.

Heater A/C blows Defrost mode, regardless of switch setting | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Tags
brave, winnebago