Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Vista Heating Question

I just traded in my Class B+ on a used 2015 Winnebago Vista 26HE. In my old RV, the furnace operated on the coach battery. Can anyone tell me if the furnace on the Vista will do the same or if I will need to use the generator or shore line? Since I had already owned an RV, the walk-through after purchase was pretty worthless. Thanks.
William Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

All motorhomes are set up with the furnace connected to the living area battery. It would be a real bummer if you ran your battery down over night and couldn’t start your engine because the battery was dead.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #3

If you already have an RV, why was the walk through worthless? It seems it would have been better since you knew what you would need that wasn't covered and you could ask about it.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

Appreciate the help!

Hi..."worthless" may have been a bit harsh. The tech who gave me the walk-through was in a hurry as he was behind. He was unfamiliar with the Vista and had not had the time to look at the coach beforehand. His answer to many of my questions was 'you'll be able to find that in the owners manual'. The furnace page(s) were missing from the manual. I have a basic understanding of an RV but all of my experience (1.5 yr) is on a Class B+ so I was unfamiliar with whether or not things worked the same on a Class A. I do appreciate the feedback on this forum and have learned a lot reading the other posts and watching as many 'how to' video's as I can find online.
William Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Sorry I don't know anything about the Vista. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Beav View Post
I just traded in my Class B+ on a used 2015 Winnebago Vista 26HE. In my old RV, the furnace operated on the coach battery. Can anyone tell me if the furnace on the Vista will do the same or if I will need to use the generator or shore line? Since I had already owned an RV, the walk-through after purchase was pretty worthless. Thanks.
The Vista uses a propane furnace that only uses 12 volt coach electrical power. Draws about 7 amps when operating. Depending on what other loads you are putting on your 12 volt systems, when using furnace you can plan on needing to recharge batteries once a day if you are not on shore power, by either running your chassis engine or the Onan generator for about 2 hours.

You don't need to worry about not being able to start your RV if the coach batteries get run down, there is a separate battery for the chassis and they are only tied together for charging or when you operate the chassis battery boost switch on the dash to tie the batteries together if your chassis battery is low and need to use coach battery to start the Vista.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 PM   #7

You can get a complete owner's manual online. Winni has great online support. It's all hind-sight but I would've been in the manager's office jumping up and down demanding someone who knew what they were doing when giving a checkout of the RV.

One other point, if your coach batteries are down you can use the emergency start switch to get your generator running.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #8

You may want to download the manual and other info from the Winnebago Ind. web site. Lots of help free for downloading.

Manuals & Diagrams
Parts Catalog - Motorized
Plumbing Diagrams - Motorized
Wiring Diagrams - Motorized
R.V. Parts and Accessories Catalog
How to Identify a Motorhome
Sealant Callout Sheets - Motorized
Operator Manuals
Paint Code Manuals - Motorized
Audio/Video Guides - Motorized
Supplier Links
Service Tips

https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information

MANUAL
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m..._26HE_31KE.pdf

I have downloaded our MH data on a memory stick. Then we can view on our laptop or iPad. Has been very handy. When we don't have wifi.
GPWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #9

I just spent 24 hours in BLM land and I had the same question. My display panel said the batteries were fully charged when we went to bed. I set the furnace to 60 degrees and prayed. In the morning it was 34 degrees outside and the display panel said the batteries are 2/3 charged. Ran the generator for 15 minutes and the display panel said the batteries were fully charged. Continued running the generator for coffee and small space heater, but very pleasantly surprised batteries fully charges so quick. P.S. The two house batteries are 6 months old and 12 volt deep cycle.

Tags
heat, heating, winnebago