Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Winnie Adventurer 35U or 33V (Itasca Suncruiser)

I like both floorplans and the DW is undecided. I prefer the workhorse chassis. I like the fact that the 33V is shorter and on a lighter chassis, but the extra room in the bedroom and the living area on the 35U is also appealing. With the lighter chassis, would the 33V get a little better fuel economy? I would like to here from owners of both and why they choose one over the other. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I just checked the brochures, and found that the 33v comes with a 75" long bed where the 35U has an 80". That makes a world of difference to me (6'4"). Is there room in the 33V to put a longer mattress when the slide is in?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Either one would make a nice unit for you. I would go with the longer chassis. It is really only 2 feet longer, won't make much difference in where you can go. That little bit of extra space doesn't seem like much now, but it will really make a difference as you live in the unit.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Community Administrator

I had an 01 35u Chieftain on a Ford chassis and put 62,000 miles on it in 49 States and all 10 Canadian Provinces. Loved the layout and the Ford.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also had the Suncruiser 35U (01) and loved the layout, very user friendly and I agree with the above poster, 2 feet is not much to be concerned about over the 33v.
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #6

We have a 2004 33 V and love it. We have lived in it for over 3 months at least 3 times with no problems. The bed is comfortable. It does abut the dresser when the rear slide is closed. Be sure to get the brake recall done if you get the Workhorse chassis. GOOD LUCK
Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #7

no regrets

We have been very happy with the 33V floorplan.The workhorse chassie is easy to maintain @ 60mph I have seen 7.9 on the Actia guage with no toad.good luck in your search
Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Well if there is no possibility of putting a longer mattress in a 33V, it looks like the 35U might be in our future. Many thanks for your replies. Two feet should make no difference in ride or handling, and we can always use the extra space. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Well if there is no possibility of putting a longer mattress in a 33V, it looks like the 35U might be in our future.
I didn't actually measure the length of my mattress when it touches the dresser. It is a stock 2004 33V. I am 6'1" and have slept hundreds of nights on it without ever noticing it being short. King sized couture sheets are a little large for the bottom.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd go with the floorplan and bed that you like best. We have a 33' and if I remember correctly the major difference between the 33 and the 35 was that the 33 had a split bath and 2 pantries while the 35 had a one side bath and a single pantry. Also the accual measurements for the 33 is very close to 34, like 33'10" if I remember correctly and the 35 was close to just that. So the overall difference in length is just a little over a foot, which is why I think the floorplan and bed is what you should base your decision on.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazworth View Post
I just checked the brochures, and found that the 33v comes with a 75" long bed where the 35U has an 80". That makes a world of difference to me (6'4"). Is there room in the 33V to put a longer mattress when the slide is in?
Yes, I'm doing it. I have a regular Queen in mine now.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Hi SuperGewl. So how did you do it? Lindsay Richards wrote the the 75" mattress was against the dresser when the slide was in. How'd you make it fit?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi SuperGewl. So how did you do it? Lindsay Richards wrote the the 75" mattress was against the dresser when the slide was in. How'd you make it fit?
I also wondered about that. Only thing I can figure is that the previous owner changed it, but I don't think so as it all seems to fit in with the base which has an air piston assist lift and fits right down on the base. I will measure it when I get it back from the shop. I will post a photo of it with the slide in also.

I went to my webpage and am linking to a page that has a photo on it. There is definitely an overhang and I think maybe my mattress has been switched out. See link below:

itaska4
Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes the mattress does bunch up against the dresser when the slide is in but flattens back out with the slide out. No big deal and doesn't hurt a thing.

Tags
itasca, suncruiser