Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I upgraded my ole Southwind to a three stage converter last year, so I now leave it plugged into shore power year round. The converter automatically switches modes and when the batteries are charged, it switches into trickle charge mode (13.2 volts) that doesn't boil the batteries.

Before that, I had a single stage converter that put out 13.6 volt only. During long periods of storage, I'd disconnect the batteries using the "STORE / USE" switch.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #16

I remove my batteries and bring them home to store in my garage. The building I store my MH in is not heated and the owner will not allow anyone to plug anything in for safety reasons.
I keep the batteries charged by hooking them up to a trickle charger monthly.
I have a diagram I drew on the rear of my battery compartment and the cables have red tape on the positive cable ends and black tape on the negative ends.
The diagram I drew has red and black Magic Marker circles around where the cable ends connect to the batteries. I also use + and - signs also drawn in red and black.
Lynn
Old 09-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you store outside the sun will do it for free. Mine has a 10 watt solar panel that keeps them topped off. I will be adding even more solar soon but just that small panel has paid for itself in saved batteries.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #18

Why is no one using a battery tender? A good one will cycle change and dis charge. Been using them for years for boat and rv
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
Why is no one using a battery tender? A good one will cycle change and dis charge. Been using them for years for boat and rv
Waiter 21 does, you must have missed the reply..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #20

What's the difference between a tender and a charger?

Thanks for all the great ideas here.!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #21

A trickle charger continuously emits a small current of electricity regardless of the charge level or even if it’s full. This can damage your batteries over time. A battery tender will only turn on and charge your battery when the battery has self-discharged below a certain level.
ken64k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken64k View Post
A trickle charger continuously emits a small current of electricity regardless of the charge level or even if it’s full. This can damage your batteries over time. A battery tender will only turn on and charge your battery when the battery has self-discharged below a certain level.
Not this one. Does the same as a trickle charger in float mode.

A constant float voltage is the standard for maintaining batteries, not cycling them over and over.

Right from a Battery Tender instruction book.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-09-15-08-14-51.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	260367
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I put a timer on ours which I've set to power up the motorhome once a week for 12 hours. This was mainly to keep the chassis battery up since it looses charge after about 2 weeks when disconnected from power. This setup also makes for less maintenance of the batteries, less wear and tear on the converter/charger, and most likely gets us a slightly lower electric bill.

Our motorhome sits stored behind the house much more than it is used so this has worked out really well. The house batteries are a few years old and the chassis battery is from 2013. All are in great shape!

Disconnecting the batteries completely works ok too but it was more of a pain.
Be careful with a setup like this. With some chargers, they run through all charge stages each time they are powered up. By using only for less than a day, it may never reach the float level and end up charging at too high a voltage.

Here in Wisconsin, my batteries are connected to the multi stage all winter. I check water levels about once a month (on the occasional nicer day), and I peak in the window daily, if possible, to glance at the voltage gauges to confirm things are doing well.

I do a more thorough check every couple of weeks, since I have to check the sticky traps for mice.

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #24

Batteries in the winter

I agree with Keymastr, Solar charger is the way to keep batteries charged all winter. Go green, free power.
I have a solar panel on the roof of my RV with a 4 pack of 6 volt batteries. 2 winters with no issues.
Donbuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #25

My solution has been solar for the winter same as many other responses. Only thing I would add to that is make sure there is little to no parasitic drain if you are in an area like I’m in. With flat panels, clouds, temperature inversions and several inches of snow on the panels, even a fairly large system doesn’t deliver more than a trickle.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #26

Great idea but I use an RV cover, so as much as solar is a good idea, won't work under a cover. Hmmm, unless I temp up a portable solar system. Anyone have this on 4 6V's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbuz View Post
I agree with Keymastr, Solar charger is the way to keep batteries charged all winter. Go green, free power.
I have a solar panel on the roof of my RV with a 4 pack of 6 volt batteries. 2 winters with no issues.
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, winter