Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Winter Battery Storage

This will be the first year we are keeping the coach home for the winter. In the past we would go south to California and never had to think about winter storage and batteries.
As I have 8 batteries and don't want to remove and store them, BUT.....as we live in Alberta the winters are long and cold, not sure of my options.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You need to keep the state-of-charge up on the batteries, either by powering the coach so its onboard charger functions, or by using an auxiliary charger (aka battery maintainer). As long as the batteries stay charged, they shouldn't freeze or deteriorate. A fully charged lead-acid battery is good down to about -70 C (-92 F), but at 40% charge it will freeze somewhere around -27 C (-16 F).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #3

We are just south of you across the border. We just keep the coach plugged in. Don't want to have to take out the 8 batteries, not going south this winter, so we just let the onboard charger take care of it.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #4

I'm in Northern Ontario and I just make sure they are fully charged then disconnect them for the winter. They are read 12.6 volts in the spring after sitting 6 months.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Plugged in.

Another northerner, -40 on occasion, we service the batteries soon then leave it plugged in with no issues, Just make sure the chargers do all 8 batteries my chassis battery wasn't connected the first year and it died.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

I disconnect the batteries on my boat, PWC, mower, second car, and tractor, before we leave from northern NY for 6 months of traveling in the South.

In the spring, I reconnect them and all is well.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You need to keep the state-of-charge up on the batteries, either by powering the coach so its onboard charger functions, or by using an auxiliary charger (aka battery maintainer). As long as the batteries stay charged, they shouldn't freeze or deteriorate. A fully charged lead-acid battery is good down to about -70 C (-92 F), but at 40% charge it will freeze somewhere around -27 C (-16 F).
I forgot to mention that my storage is remote and power is not available.
If I use a solar charger, I would need 2 as the coach batteries are separate.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

With a solar charger watch for snow or ice covering it.

If your going to go that route, you still want to disconnect the batteries from the RV. They all have some kind of draw on them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:38 AM   #9

I'm only dealing with two house batteries and the engine battery and face the same problem of now power available when in storage. Since purchasing our rig in2018, I've handled the situation by installing a knife blade disconnect switch on the house batteries to prevent any phantom draw. Once a month, I start up the generator, create a load with either the heat pumps on the AC units or plug in an electric heater and let it run long enough that the generator gets a workout and all batteries are fully charged.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure the batteries are fully charged then just disconnect them. Reconnect them come spring. A fully charged battery will not freeze. Disconnecting the batteries from the system will eliminate any phantom current draws that could discharge them during the long winter.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Batteries

I may have to start the generator once a month as I'm not sure how I can connect a solar charger to 2 different sets of batteries. If I start the gen, will it charge the engine batteries? Also I will have to use a diesel additive to prevent jelling of the fuel.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I may have to start the generator once a month as I'm not sure how I can connect a solar charger to 2 different sets of batteries. If I start the gen, will it charge the engine batteries? Also I will have to use a diesel additive to prevent jelling of the fuel.
If you disconnect battys they will last several months at least - One solar charger connected to one batty bank and just swap it to the other bank every 1-2 mos. Just be sure to fully charge both banks before storing & disconnecting.
Diesel anti-gel not a bad idea in case you need to start gen but with solar maintainer that shouldn't be necessary.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks to all that replied. This is a great forum with lots of info and ideas.
Cheers
Dennis
Old 10-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I'm in Northern Ontario and I just make sure they are fully charged then disconnect them for the winter. They are read 12.6 volts in the spring after sitting 6 months.
Same here. I installed disconnect switches on both the chassis and starting batteries. Never an issue in the Spring. I also ensure they have enough electrolyte in the cells. Mind you....it never gets very cold in my part of Canada (Pacific Northwest).
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, storage, winter