Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #1

Winter Storage

Newbie here with a question.
I have a 2011 Fleetwood providence 40K and I am in the process of storing it indoors. I have shut the two main shutoff switches off as well as the inverters and still have power at the radio and the camera units. If I turn the main breaker off will that kill everything? I just dont want to drain the batteries down.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bruce.
Cordodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

My radio gets power from the chassis battery. I remove the negative terminal from the battery when I store it to prevent battery drain
Old 10-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #3

Thanks Ajayabb, I did this as well and there is still power there but I was wondering if they had an internal battery in them that will fade out in time? I was wondering if I killed the main breaker if it would work but not sure really.

Bruce
Old 10-18-2021, 06:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordodge View Post
Thanks Ajayabb, I did this as well and there is still power there but I was wondering if they had an internal battery in them that will fade out in time? I was wondering if I killed the main breaker if it would work but not sure really.

Bruce

Radio will always have some power to keep your presets and clock. Camera maybe hooked on same line.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #5

Most MH have some always on circuits that power engine / tranny controls, radio, propane detectors, etc.
You will need to remove batty conne tons to fully isolate them and not risk draining them down. One caution is which lead to disconnect t 1st. Magnum inverters re moment Pos first, my FL/ Cummins recommend Neg 1st for chassis.

If you have access to 120V power you might consider a low A batty maintainer to keep both chassis & house battys fully charged. I have permanently mounted & wired 2 maintainers that only require one extension cord being plugged in. One advantage vs plugging in MH is maintainers play well with GFCI and many MHs will trip them if just plugging in MH.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #6

Thanks Winemaker2, I dont have access to power so I am worried about battery drain. I did disconnect the chassis batteries but I was hoping to just shut the main breaker off inside the unit to kill the rest or maybe I will have to actually pull the fuses out of the radio, camera and possibly the CO monitor. Sorry for the newbie questions I. Just not sure what to do lol

Thanks Bruce
Old 10-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #7

This may not be what answer you are looking for but, it is recommended strongly to exercise your generator about once a month for an hour or so. That would charge your batts, as well as, driving your coach every month and put some miles on it to keep things happy which will also charge your batteries. Where, what state, is your coach stored? Thinking temps.
We take our coach for a ride down the freeway for about 30 to 40 miles and then back. Our coach is happy with that.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #8

I'm not sure how many batteries your coach has but in my case I have one chassis battery and two house batteries. I remove all three and bring them home where I can store and maintain them while my coach is in storage which is normally seven months.
The owner of the facility I store my coach in will not allow anything stored there to have batteries connected. If batteries are not removed they at least have to be disconnected and he will check them. There is always that chance a rodent can invade the facility, chew into wiring, cause a short and start a fire. Electronic devices have been known to fail on their own and start a fire. The owner doesn't want hundreds of feet of extension cords strewn about the facility which could be a fire hazard. Aside from the price being reasonable and the building in good condition these are some of the reasons I store my coach where I do. If you own your own storage facility it might be a different circumstance. That is strictly up to you.
Once the doors are locked when the building becomes full there will be no access until mid April unless there is a very good reason someone needs to enter with the owner alongside them.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #9

Well I will be back mid December so I am planning on firing it up to charge the batteries but wont be going for a ride. I am in southern Ontario and it get cold but not crazy cold like Alberta
Old 10-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #10

Well I have 2 chassis and 6 house batteries. It is indoors but not heated, As far ad rodents I did what I can do if they want in they will get in unfortunately. I disconnected the chassis batteries and turned off the main switches but I still have power on the radio which I have to get rid of. I am planning on coming back mid December to start it up and let it run for an hour and then disconnect it all again and leave for another few months.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
This may not be what answer you are looking for but, it is recommended strongly to exercise your generator about once a month for an hour or so. That would charge your batts, as well as, driving your coach every month and put some miles on it to keep things happy which will also charge your batteries. Where, what state, is your coach stored? Thinking temps.
We take our coach for a ride down the freeway for about 30 to 40 miles and then back. Our coach is happy with that.
This is what I did last year. Stored outside in NY, gets pretty cold for stretches at a time. Iíd go check on it every 2 weeks as itís only parked 5 minutes from home. Start the generator and let it run for 20-30 min, start the engine too. If it wasnít snowed in or roads not too bad Iíd take it for a 10-15 min drive as well. Never unhooked the coach or house batteries. I have a small solar charger on the roof and that seemed to keep the house batteries charged. After Iíd let it run Iíd hit the 12v kill switch and leave it for a few more weeks.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:51 AM   #12

Well I went back to the unit and basically just unplugged the radio and the camera so now everything is dead, I shut the main breaker off inside as well . Not a big deal now that I know how to do it, I may put a switch in there but really took me like 3 minutes to undo them.

Thanks for everyone's help I appreciate it and will likely be asking more question in the future.

Bruce
Old 10-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #13

Just a note. The worst thing you can do to an engine to cause wear is let it IDLE.. We all do it out of necessity at times. Just sayin.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:34 AM   #14

Agreed, I'll check the battery levels in a couple months and if they are good I may wait till I pull it out before I fire it up. Next year I'll try and find storage where I can keep it pulled in

Tags
storage, winter