Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsShort View Post
just put 4 brand new Yokohama Super Steel MY507, there hwy all season tires more aggressive and bit noisy but better b safe then sorryAttachment 178657
Thanks, not available in 295 80R 22.5. They have ribbed tires only. I think this is a lost cause.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #16

Have you looked at simpletire.com?
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Siping is the process of cutting thin slits across the surface of a tire to improve traction for driving in snowy, wet or icy conditions. Siping can also help manage tire heat when the road is overly hot.

Brian

Thanks. I read a lot on here and had never heard of this being done.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel odor View Post
Have you looked at simpletire.com?
I just did. They have some winter tires but only in some really scary brands. All the name brands come in ribbed only.

I think it is just sipes.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #19

Winter tires in 295-80-22.5

Have you checked on Michelins? I believe they have a MS or Snow tire in that size in their X-Coach line.
aksafariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksafariman View Post
Have you checked on Michelins? I believe they have a MS or Snow tire in that size in their X-Coach line.
Can't find one on their site. Can find the X-Coach, can find them in my size, just not an M+S.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Plus storage of the large winter tires and summer tires when not in use.
+mounting and balance
mwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I just did. They have some winter tires but only in some really scary brands. All the name brands come in ribbed only.

I think my next tires are going to be the Goodyear ribbed. From the Goodyear G-661 thread they sound really nice .
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksafariman View Post
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
I think the fact that 'snow' tires aren't available in truck/RV sizes says a lot. If the aggressive tread styles really made a difference in a heavy vehicle's handling in snow/ice covered roads, I believe they'd be for sale. Tire manufacturers aren't going to overlook a market. I'd buy tires that are good on wet roads and wait out heavy snow-covered roads until they get plowed.

I drove a variety of buses in Indiana Winters and never had an issue with traction. The weight helps compress the snow unlike in a lighter vehicle. On ice, nothing will help short of chains or tire studs.

It's expensive to get an RV towed or repaired, something I keep in mind before taking to the roads in bad weather.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think the fact that 'snow' tires aren't available in truck/RV sizes says a lot. If the aggressive tread styles really made a difference in a heavy vehicle's handling in snow/ice covered roads, I believe they'd be for sale. Tire manufacturers aren't going to overlook a market. I'd buy tires that are good on wet roads and wait out heavy snow-covered roads until they get plowed.

I drove a variety of buses in Indiana Winters and never had an issue with traction. The weight helps compress the snow unlike in a lighter vehicle. On ice, nothing will help short of chains or tire studs.

It's expensive to get an RV towed or repaired, something I keep in mind before taking to the roads in bad weather.
A few things to consider. First, heavy trucks come with knobbed winter tires, and many of the wester passes call for them in inclement weather. I don't know what the Greyhounds run out here, but I see lots of 315 80R 22.5 tires in snow configurations. I expect the lack of snow tires for RVs has more to do with RV owners not wanting them as most are sunny day drivers.

There are a large number of 295 80R 22.5 snow tires available in Europe where that size is often used on busses.

Not to offer offence, but winter in Indiana is not winter in the western mountain ranges. We have clear forecasts turn into blizzards in a matter of hours, and when you are already on the road in the Canadian Rockies there are places you just can't get off the road.

I have managed so far while being caught in surprise storms, but if I could get a snow tire on my drive axle I'd buy it. If I had a Prevost chassis I'd run snows without question, they take the 315 size tire that I don't have clearance for.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
I've spent a lot of winter time in Wyoming and Colorado, I know mountain winters. The bus driving I did in Indiana started there, but often ended up at ski slopes in Wisconsin or Michigan. The 'lake effect' snows could rival many of the conditions found in the west. Not had problems getting a vehicle started in snow, it's the stopping and steering you really have to be concerned about. Aggressive tread, no matter how 'knobby' doesn't really work on ice.

If you really want snow tires, I suggest you deal with a tire broker that could get them for you, perhaps importing them from Europe or directly from a tire manufacturer. You'll pay, but you'll have what you want.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #26

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post

If you are looking for better traction in mud, dirt and snow then I would suggest you consider "Drive" position tires.
When you look at the brand name (Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear) company "truck" or "Commercial" tires not "RV" tires, you will have a number of options.
It is important to note that there are trade offs with "drive" design tires.
These tires are more expensive (more tread rubber), Get worse fuel economy (more tread rubber) and weigh more (more tread rubber) and more noise (not rib design)
Also note that each of the above named companies do have slightly lower cost options Bridgestone > Firestone, Michelin > BFG, Goodyear > Dunlop
Old 10-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Look up the thread on Goodyear G-661 HSA tires. Seems like a great tough truck (commercial) tire especially for winter driving.
This tire is not a traction tire - the 662 is but a little too aggressive. I have the 661s on all 6 wheels and wanted to change out the rears but don't like the 662s .Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear G661HSA tires.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	179071

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear G662.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	179072
Old 10-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #28

Bob,

I'm not arguing about your skills as a winter driver, or the relative merits of mountain vs plains snow. In fact, eastern snow is harder to drive in because it is often wetter and heavier.

The problem with the mountains is they can barely forecast nightfall out here. Ive been on I90, heading out of Sandpoint ID with a clear forecast and by the time I got to the run up to the Snoqualmie pass it was weather warnings, traction tires advised, and if we had sat down it would have been 3 days in a rest area.

The Canadian side is even worse, the Rogers pass is very unstable, and on the Canadian side, depending on the route, the road is mostly 2 lane and almost no places to get a rig off the road if the weather changes.

I do watch the weather and plan my driving around it, but the mountains make it difficult.

BTW, in most cases the winter tire rubber formulas are softer and they do work a little better on ice, but nothing works well. Sipes are a good idea and I will do that to my next set.

Tags
tires, winter