Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Winter Travel

We recently winterized our motorhome, but are already wishing for warmer weather. If we decide to take a trip to a warmer clime (south Florida) in January, do we just leave our tanks and lines empty till we arrive at our destination? I don't want to risk having a water line break. We can live without fresh water, but it would be convenient to have the bathroom available along the way. We live in Oklahoma so winters aren't horrible, but it does get below freezing regularly.

Opinions?
98winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
If it were me I would dump a gallon of rv antifreeze into the gray and black tank and flush with gallon jugs filled from water source before you leave...same with hand washing
Old 11-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
If it were me I would dump a gallon of rv antifreeze into the gray and black tank and flush with gallon jugs filled from water source before you leave...same with hand washing

Hadn't even thought about the problem with not having a shower along the way. My wife wouldn't be able to tolerate the smell after a couple days. Guess I need to do some thinking and planning before we would take off. Just wishing we lived in a warmer climate this time of year.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #4

I am a bit taken back by all the fear of frozen pipes. Back in the 70's I had a Winnebago that I used as a mobile show room. I traveled MN. Iowa. NB. N and S Dakota. It gets COLD in these states. I stayed in the MH at night, showered in the morning and worked in it all day. It was always heated and in the 197,000 miles I put on it I had one pipe split and that was in Minot, ND and the temp was -45. The insulation was not as good back then so if you keep coach heated and doors open in OK. I don't think you'll have a problem
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
I am a bit taken back by all the fear of frozen pipes. Back in the 70's I had a Winnebago that I used as a mobile show room. I traveled MN. Iowa. NB. N and S Dakota. It gets COLD in these states. I stayed in the MH at night, showered in the morning and worked in it all day. It was always heated and in the 197,000 miles I put on it I had one pipe split and that was in Minot, ND and the temp was -45. The insulation was not as good back then so if you keep coach heated and doors open in OK. I don't think you'll have a problem

Well I do have an enclosed basement, with heater ducting to that area. It's probably fine, all things considered. We just haven't tried traveling anywhere in the winter.

I have seen a couple rvs for sale cheaply due to burst pipes. Probably from sitting all winter without winterizing.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #6

I do it all the time, just run the furnace. I haven't driven in minus degree weather though
Old 11-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #7

Watch the weather reports.

A one day drive should get you to a safe zone temperature wise.
As long as daytime temps are above freezing.
Dont you have a propane furnace or ???
Electric heat ?
Spend the night at a campground and fill up.
Dewinterize after a days drive south.
Then head on South East.

Or
I know people that will stop at a motel for a night, or shower at a truck stop.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Planning to leave Northern Wisconsin in March! Run with fresh water tank dry for a day or 2 till get good weather! RV some Antifreeze in black tank!
Old 11-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I actually moved to Northern Michigan in late March 2011 and lived in my coach, it still gets cold at that time. Best thing I did was get a remote temp monitor for my wet bay. I did mount a small cube heater in the basement plugged into the 120v plug, and ran the generator as needed. I stopped at a Walmart in Northern Wisconsin on my way north, it was a deep freeze with +10' snow piles around the perimeter of the parking lot. Not saying I didn't get cold sometimes but I survived and had not freezing pipes.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 1999 Southwind, all the plumbing and tanks are in heated areas, so as long as the furnaces are running, we're good to travel in sub freezing weather with full use of the water system.

On my Ole 2001 Mirada, this wasn't the case. We'd leave it winterized until we were in warm weather. While traveling from NW Ohio to the south, we'd use the toilet and flush it with RV antifreeze or sub zero windshield washer fluid. We would not use the sinks.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Several years ago in our Tiffin, We left northern Il with a full tank of water and temp around 14 & drove all the way to AL "which was about 20 when we got here" without an issue. Just monitor the basement temp and run the furnace as needed to keep the temp up. I had everything setup "furnace running" in the driveway for a couple of days before we left.
mike625 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #12

No mention of year and type of MH. As Waiter21 said you should have no issues from OK to somewhere warmer. Most modern motorhomes allow you to run the furnace while underway and maintaining a comfortable temperature in the coach will keep the bays warm also. Enjoy your trip.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #13

Oklahoma doesn't know what cold is. If it were me, I would heat up the coach with the furnace, fill up the fresh water tank, add food, clothes and fuel. Then head any direction but north. That's what we did leaving from WI many winters and below zero several times. Never a frozen pipe.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #14

I'm about to test this out. Driving from NE PA to NE IN for Thanksgiving next week. Will stay in moho for a few nights and then come home. Hasn't been super cold but it's been below freezing almost every night for the last couple weeks.

-E

Tags
travel, winter